Next Open T/O Exam

Justin08

Hey guys new to the forum. But Ive been looking into being a NYC T/O for awhile. It says that the next OPEN T/O Test filing period is March 4th to March 24 2009. Does that time frame mean the time you have to submit your application & Fees and all? Or can I submit it earlier?

Also I read here that they MIGHT change the requirements adding that you need 60 College Credits now. I hope not I got a HS Diploma and have been working with the same job for almost ten years. The 04 requirments state you can change CC for Job xp which makes sense. Anybody have light on that subject

Thanks in advance guys.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3630

thanks for the response man. The credit thing is all speculation, and I hope thats not the case. I cant see that it will, I mean if you go to college you can cash credits in for time work. If your someone like me who has worked many years its works for us too. Either way if they want to weed people out you have someone creible with years of employment or someone that has gone to college.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3630

thanks for the response man. The credit thing is all speculation, and I hope thats not the case. I cant see that it will, I mean if you go to college you can cash credits in for time work. If your someone like me who has worked many years its works for us too. Either way if they want to weed people out you have someone creible with years of employment or someone that has gone to college.

Not sure yet, there's been all sorts of rumors floating around including that they WANT to make 60 credits required, but to know for sure you will have to wait until the NOE comes out

60 college credits + 5 years work experience is pure bullshit. That rumor also said you need 30 college credits + 3 years work experience for Open Conductor Exam. Go look at the Conductor requirements! They haven't changed since that last exam. Hope this helps :). "Railman718" from Subchat may have made this up or who he heard it from made it up. But he also so said look for filing in october. If you want my opinion. Don't believe the rumors.

60 college credits + 5 years work experience is pure bullshit. That rumor also said you need 30 college credits + 3 years work experience for Open Conductor Exam. Go look at the Conductor requirements! They haven't changed since that last exam. Hope this helps :). "Railman718" from Subchat may have made this up or who he heard it from made it up. But he also so said look for filing in october. If you want my opinion. Don't believe the rumors.

Railman didn't make it up, he heard it as a rumor, probably from one of his sources, and just passed it along as a rumor, but he never said it was fact. A lot of people didn't want to see this change implemented, including people in TA from what I've heard (because to many of them college credits doesn't necessarily make someone a better T/O or C/R and with them working down there I trust they'd know), so I think those people's say probably ultimately won out. The only way to know for sure what's required of a position is to read the NOE.

Oct filing?????? I saw on the TA website its March 4th to the 24th for the Open Test filing. You cant file before that can you??????

Ok guys I got my Green Study Guide book in the mail from Barnes Nobles. Feel like im back in school haha. Anyway the books not what I expected I thought there would be diffent chapters explaining Procedure, Rules Etc. Then test at the end of the chapters. Buti ts just one big test booklet.

They give you the answers so you can still learn alot of stuff. What type of questions are on the test. I keep hearing its easy. If I go through this book should I NOT have a problem with the test???????? Any input would be helpful. Everyone says its ez now I feel I have to pass LOL. Thanks in advance guys

You can't file until the filing period (3/4/09-3/24/09). I highly doubt those rumors wouldn't be implemented just yet. Don't just put in for the train operator. Also apply for the C/R position. Why? You never know what the future holds, and at least you have two opportunities to work for the TA, in RTO........

You can't file until the filing period (3/4/09-3/24/09). I highly doubt those rumors wouldn't be implemented just yet. Don't just put in for the train operator. Also apply for the C/R position. Why? You never know what the future holds, and at least you have two opportunities to work for the TA, in RTO........

Yea, apply for C/R too since they are filing now, and those exams don't happen too often.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to everyone out there, i am new to the site and have a few questions on train operators. 1st i would like to know how much t/o's top out at. 2nd how many people take the exam and how many people are usally hired from the list. Also what is a motor instructor? My father was in the NYCTA for like 20 + years and was a motor instructor than i believe he became a supervisor, he recently retired and not soon after passed away so i never got the chance to ask him about his carrer, the only thing i knew was that he worked for NYCTA, and now i am looking to taking the test to maybey hopefully follow in his footsteps...any help would be greatly appreciated

Hello to everyone out there, i am new to the site and have a few questions on train operators. 1st i would like to know how much t/o's top out at. 2nd how many people take the exam and how many people are usally hired from the list. Also what is a motor instructor? My father was in the NYCTA for like 20 + years and was a motor instructor than i believe he became a supervisor, he recently retired and not soon after passed away so i never got the chance to ask him about his carrer, the only thing i knew was that he worked for NYCTA, and now i am looking to taking the test to maybey hopefully follow in his footsteps...any help would be greatly appreciated

$26.99 start, $28+ after 231 road hours. Motor Instructor is now known as a TSS (Train Service Supervisor). How many are hired from the list depends on how many fail, how many they need, and how well does one score.........

• 2 weeks later...
Question regarding the requirements. Does one need a drivers license?

LOL no you dont need a drivers license or CDL, your driving a train not a car

Yes for Bus you need CDL as its Commercial

but you could get one even tho its not needed, unless u want a car...

• 3 weeks later...

Those tests are all common sense. You aren't expected to anything about the job because you don't work there yet.

If you want to get called within 3 years you need to score over 95 though. Lots of high scores because of the ease of the test.

Also the tie breaker for open competitive tests is the date you filed so you should file online the first day it opens.

Right now T/O's make $28.65 an hour over 6 dollars less an hour than the same job at LIRR and Metronorth. The open competitive tests have been drawing thousands for each test. The first one Jan. 2000 had over 5000 people take it. They hire alot of people because the list is active for between 3-6 years.

I have heard nothing "official" either way. I am fairly certain they will not add college credits for the upcoming exam. Once they release the notice of exam with the requirements , they can't change them at the last minute for civil service titles. My advice is not to worry about college credits if you're going to apply and take the test that opens for filing in March , but don't risk not taking the test if you meet the requirements. Don't wait or put it off to the next test. It's true that having college credits doesn't mean squat in relation to operating a train or being a conductor since both positions require one to be trained from square one , but then again there are a lot of jobs and careers out there that require college when it's not necessary. It's a way for employers to thin the herd of applicants. Sometimes it backfires on them , like it did when they put in college credits for the NYPD exam. Good luck to everyone who takes the test.

I have heard nothing "official" either way. I am fairly certain they will not add college credits for the upcoming exam. Once they release the notice of exam with the requirements , they can't change them at the last minute for civil service titles. My advice is not to worry about college credits if you're going to apply and take the test that opens for filing in March , but don't risk not taking the test if you meet the requirements. Don't wait or put it off to the next test. It's true that having college credits doesn't mean squat in relation to operating a train or being a conductor since both positions require one to be trained from square one , but then again there are a lot of jobs and careers out there that require college when it's not necessary. It's a way for employers to thin the herd of applicants. Sometimes it backfires on them , like it did when they put in college credits for the NYPD exam. Good luck to everyone who takes the test.
Thanks man for the advise to any of us going for the exam thats coming up. Im excited and caint wait and hope to pass this exam. To be a NYC Subway Operator would be a dream fullfiled since being a little kid :D. Well see.

I really hope to pass the exam and one day become a TO. Say you pass the exam, how long before they would call of that list? I know it usually a couple years correct??????

I really hope to pass the exam and one day become a TO. Say you pass the exam, how long before they would call of that list? I know it usually a couple years correct??????

It depends on how good your list score is. If you want any chance of being called within 3 years your list number must be 3 digits!!!

They usually give a promotional T/O test around the same time as the open competitive test and they exhaust that list first before they start calling off of the open test.

In another post I listed the most important things you must do when filing for these tests.

It depends on how good your list score is. If you want any chance of being called within 3 years your list number must be 3 digits!!!

They usually give a promotional T/O test around the same time as the open competitive test and they exhaust that list first before they start calling off of the open test.

In another post I listed the most important things you must do when filing for these tests.

I looked for what you wrote. What are the most important thing when filing for this position??? Thanks 4 the help

Archived