Fulton Transit Center opens to commuters

Q113 LTD

FultonCenter-TodSeelie-39.jpg

Tomorrow at 5 a.m., the sparkling and expansive new Fulton Center subway hub will finally open to the public. The (MTA) celebrated the opening of the $1.4 billion transit complex today with officials and media mingling in the glass and steel shell, now the biggest transit hub in NYC. "The center is an important symbol for New York in so many ways," said MTA chief executive Thomas Prendergast.

The Fulton Center, which has been in the works since 2002 and nearly in danger of nothing happening, will accommodate up to 300,000 straphangers every day, finally connecting the (2) , (3) , (4) , (5) , (A) , (C) , (J) , (Z) and (R) lines in a more seamless way than the old, patched-together transfers that were repeatedly referred to as "dark" and "confusing." Eventually, the (1) and (E) trains as well as the (PATH) , through the new World Trade Center hub, will connect there as well. Sen. Charles Schumer referred to 9/11 at the ceremony, calling the station "a metaphor for a revitalized downtown with 40,000 more residents than it had before," as Rep. Jerry Nadler said the U.S must invest in its infrastructure—much of the funds for the project were from the feds—to succeed.....

Source: http://gothamist.com/2014/11/09/photos_a_sneak_peak_at_the_gleaming.php#photo-24

..... By the way, the article stated "Eventually, the (1) and (E) trains as well as the (PATH) , through the new World Trade Center hub, will connect there as well." The WTC hub will open sometime next year, so once its open in 2015, Fulton Transit Center will connect to WTC hub for the (1) , (E) , (PATH) & retail stores.

I visited it this morning. Its gorgeous and breathtaking compared to the rest of the system. THIS is what the future of the NYCS should be! 

The only thing that would make it sweeter is the (MTA) selling the air rights and building a 50 story tower on top to make back the cost of the damnned thing. But oh well...

Out of town til Wednesday but I'll definitely walk in on my way home. From what I saw through the doors Sunday when they only let the press in and through the tarp all these months it looked pretty nice but also a little overhyped. It's not f*cking Grand Central, it's a little strip mall with a train station underneath, nothing bad just sayin. The WTC hub is gonna be our "Grand Central" a hell of a lot more than Fulton is.

So would the long lost Cortlandt Street (1) station be revived now?

Port Authority is building that and it will open when they open the PATH train hub.

Out of town til Wednesday but I'll definitely walk in on my way home. From what I saw through the doors Sunday when they only let the press in and through the tarp all these months it looked pretty nice but also a little overhyped. It's not f*cking Grand Central, it's a little strip mall with a train station underneath, nothing bad just sayin. The WTC hub is gonna be our "Grand Central" a hell of a lot more than Fulton is.

Port Authority is building that and it will open when they open the PATH train hub.

The manager of both WTC and Fulton Shops is the same, and apparently they're successfully getting stores with upscale retail rents.

If only the WTC hub cost the same amount of money as Fulton...

Today, I went to check out the Fulton Transit Center. Its quite though. I went there around 9:30am and back at 1pm. I was expect to be loud like Grand Central. Nice to see the (4) & (5) platform once you walk down the stairs when you walk in the building.

Today, I went to check out the Fulton Transit Center. Its quite though. I went there around 9:30am and back at 1pm. I was expect to be loud like Grand Central. Nice to see the (4) & (5) platform once you walk down the stairs when you walk in the building.

You mean quiet not quite... lol... It's Veterans Day today so a lot of people are off, especially in the Financial area... All of the big banks, etc. are closed.

To be honest people are just gonna use that entrance to get into the uptown (4)(5) and the (A)(C) like they always have. I doubt that many people are gonna walk through it that normally use the other entrances.

And I don't think so. This would greatly ease crowding on both platforms of the (4)(5) since they have the building where (A) commuters can now walk in/out of, instead of through the (4)(5) platform first. This way, (A) commuters can get on their train faster.

You also gotta remember, it all depends on where people are coming from exactly and where they work at.

And I don't think so. This would greatly ease crowding on both platforms of the (4)(5) since they have the building where (A) commuters can now walk in/out of, instead of through the (4)(5) platform first. This way, (A) commuters can get on their train faster.

You also gotta remember, it all depends on where people are coming from exactly and where they work at.

How are you so sure of that? 

How are you so sure of that? 

I've just explained already. Do you honestly think (A) riders are gonna continue walking through the (4)(5) platform as they come in/out of the station? That's what it sounded in the previous post that I quoted.

So yeah, I am sure they won't continue doing so. Do you realize that the (4)(5) platforms are also crowded during the peak?

I've just explained already. Do you honestly think (A) riders are gonna continue walking through the (4)(5) platform as they come in/out of the station? That's what it sounded in the previous post that I quoted.

So yeah, I am sure they won't continue doing so. Do you realize that the (4)(5) platforms are also crowded during the peak?

Um yeah I realize all of that because I used to transfer from the (A) at Fulton for the (4)(5) before I started using the express bus when I lived on Staten Island. I'm not so sure that will change precisely because of demand.  That's a huge transfer connection.  It has nothing to do with what you're talking about.

Um yeah I realize all of that because I used to transfer from the (A) at Fulton for the (4)(5) before I started using the express bus when I lived on Staten Island. I'm not so sure that will change precisely because of demand.  That's a huge transfer connection.  It has nothing to do with what you're talking about.

Well excuse me lmfao.

I was referring to the those leaving/entering the station who need the (A). Apparently, you didn't even read my post or you're just trying to toy with me.

Anyway, they aren't always going to use the (4)(5) platforms to exit/re-enter the station.

Well excuse me lmfao.

I was referring to the those leaving/entering the station who need the (A). Apparently, you didn't even read my post or you're just trying to toy with me.

Anyway, they aren't always going to use the (4)(5) platforms to exit/re-enter the station.

I read it and I got the impression that you were implying that somehow the (4)(5) platforms won't be crowded because of the new set up and I would disagree with that.  I've entered that station from various entrances to get the (4)(5) and I hate it with a passion because of the level of crowding, especially towards the first two cars.

I read it and I got the impression that you were implying that somehow the (4)(5) platforms won't be crowded because of the new set up and I would disagree with that.  I've entered that station from various entrances to get the (4)(5) and I hate it with a passion because of the level of crowding, especially towards the first two cars.

Flat out wrong. That wasn't my intention to say that the (4)(5) platforms won't be crowded anymore now that (A) riders can use the building instead. I've been using the (4) all my life and I'm well aware that it and the (5) will still be crowded at Fulton.

You honestly have some nerve putting words in my mouth, eh?

I was there today and I loved it! I also saw some possible evidence of the (W) train.

There were three empty circles, with one for the 1 and E and one maybe for the W, but possibly PATH.

Also when I was in the Dey St Passageway I realized how wide it was, and how easily there could be a barrier in the center for a free transfer to the (R)100_5032_zps28fcae77.jpg

I was there today and I loved it! I also saw some possible evidence of the (W) train.

There were three empty circles, with one for the 1 and E and one maybe for the W, but possibly PATH.

Also when I was in the Dey St Passageway I realized how wide it was, and how easily there could be a barrier in the center for a free transfer to the (R).

Im glad they built the Fulton Center. I just can't wait for the WTC Hub to open next year. I think everything in downtown is taking shape because of WTC. Just can't wait for everything to go back to normal once the WTC hub and  WTC complex to finish.

Im glad they built the Fulton Center. I just can't wait for the WTC Hub to open next year. I think everything in downtown is taking shape because of WTC. Just can't wait for everything to go back to normal once the WTC hub and  WTC complex to finish.

Nothing's back to normal before September 11th, 2001. Our city and country changed forever that day and nothing especially at the WTC will ever be back to "normal". F**king disrepectful. Is it "back to normal" for the men and women died that day too? The first responders traumatized forever?

I don't think you understand how serious that day was and how sacred the WTC site is. You should pay a visit to the 9/11 Memorial.

Oy, swearing at him like that was uncalled for. That was 2001, this is 2014. Is dwelling on it like that going to change anything? It's been thirteen years and two months. There is remembering what happened there, but thinking about it like it happened yesterday is just not healthy. 

As for the R, it will get a transfer to the A,C,E, 2 and 3 in about a year as part of the Trade center transit project. This means making Dey street even partly in-fare control was not worth it. So can we build a bridge and get over it...

Oy, swearing at him like that was uncalled for. That was 2001, this is 2014. Is dwelling on it like that going to change anything? It's been thirteen years and two months. There is remembering what happened there, but thinking about it like it happened yesterday is just not healthy.

His choice of words was extremely disrespectful and he really should know better. There's no such thing as back to normal, rebuilt sure but there's no twin towers or lives returned.

Archived