NYC Subway Platform Screen Doors update

Union Tpke

"NYC Subway Platform Screen Doors update

Posted by Gold_12th on Mon Nov 17 14:17:59 2014

Today's board meeting reveal:

MTA and third party contractor "STV Inc." is doing an engineer study on the platform screen doors. The contract awarded in September for $25 million ( which they also doing engineering Sandy fortify projects )

There are lots of complex engineering issues like the car fleet, station layout, spacing, clearance, timing, power, ventilation, maintenance, etc.

They will demo the PSDs on one station.

To sum up... there's "not one solution." "

I think these screen doors are not feasible on lines that use 8 car 75 footers and 8 & 10 car 60 footers. Plus managing the doors that wouldn't open when its 75 foot car and when its a 60 foot car. Its just plain ridiculous, the MTA should have thought of this back before they introduced the 44s and 46s. Maybe once the 75 footers are retired it can be done but now in the present i dont thinks so.

I think these screen doors are not feasible on lines that use 8 car 75 footers and 8 & 10 car 60 footers. Plus managing the doors that wouldn't open when its 75 foot car and when its a 60 foot car. Its just plain ridiculous, the MTA should have thought of this back before they introduced the 44s and 46s. Maybe once the 75 footers are retired it can be done but now in the present i dont thinks so.

Maybe in 2026 or so, if the (MTA) keeps making cars like the R142s and R160s, it could happen.

If they could add screen doors on lines now they could use the (7) and (L) since they both (will) have a similar or ideal fleet and they don't share any lines.

They are supposed to make screen doors at 34 Street-Hudson Yards when the (7) is all R188s.

having psd will help to drop the insurance rate on subway iine. it good idea and need to be done. too many weirdo and mental problem out there. it becoming  a thing now and it need to help control the society. look at airport, las vegas monorail and some other locations. you don't hear this news out there. 

it can be done on certain line like branches where there  is no mix of train. i.e. president st to flatbush ave. that area can get it now while the rest have to wait till the train is uniform. 

if the psd on the 6th ave line where the (F) is 10 cars while the (M) is 8 cars. it can be done. look at some of the airport line on youtube. there so many extra doors and it stay lock because the technology talk to each other which doors to be unlock. 

I complete agree it wouldn't work on NYC Subway because beside NYC Subway Cars, there are subway cars that pulls garbage or work trains.

According to this Chinese video, Subway Platform Screen at one of stations in Beijing Line 5 failed because subway door closed and platform door closed behind her and fall to deadly track. Skip to :29.

The only issues with the IRT is that A) they decided to stagger the doors for R62/R142, so now we're stuck with a mixture of systems, and B) Elevated stations built on els cannot bear the weight of the doors (or even auto platform gates). Therefore, it looks like the only IRT station that can get this is 34 Hudson Yards when the 7 fleet all has the same door formation.

As for other lines, the BMT Eastern Division is the optimal candidate due to their standardized car lengths (underground stations only for PSD) and probably needs either PSD or APG at some of the busier stations. 

The 6th Avenue Line cannot be given PSD right now due to mixed car lengths. We'll have to wait for the R211s before QBL can be given PSD, since the remaining 75 foot R46s need to go.

Archived