(N) and (R) Lines Switched?

ConcourseExp

I'm confused. Are we talking about the (D) turning into a shuttle or having the (R) switch terminals with a line on the Brighton Line?

Look below at the 2 posts. Hopes this "clears" up any confusion

My plan would do it, BUT that would also have the (D) and (R) switch southern terminals in Brooklyn as part of a plan that would have the (W) become the Rockaway Beach line between Whitehall Street and Rockaway Park if that did happen (and ONLY if it did):

In that, the (R) would return to being the 24/7 Astoria Line as it was prior to 1987 BUT would also replace the (D) on the West End to Coney Island so it would have yard access at Coney Island.  It would run local as it does now from 36th Street northward.

The (D) would replace the (R) at 95th Street since the (D) does have Concourse Yard.  It would move to the Express track at 59th and run express from there as it does now from 36th Street northward (including overnights).

The (N) would continue via Sea Beach as it does now BUT would be a local from 59th Street northward.  It would also become the secondary line to Astoria, running there weekdays 5:30 AM-10:00 PM.   The rest of the time, the (N) would supplement the (Q) on the SAS and run to 96th Street-2nd Avenue to give the UES additional service late nights and weekends (by the time this would happen, the SAS would be operational).

The (W) would become the Rockaway Beach line and run from Whitehall Street to Rockaway Park, replacing the (R) on Queens Boulevard (when needed for yard access, the (W) can be extended into and from Brooklyn).

Since in this setup the (W) would turn off the QB line in Rego Park, the (G) would go back to serving QB as well, with during rush hours and as needed otherwise the (G) and (M) both extended to 179th Street so as not to back up the (W) going to the Rockaway line as there would be three locals on QB. 

Well this is all funny but I have another idea that involves Brooklyn and old times. Send the B down 4th Avenue Express and the West End Line to Coney Island. Send the D down local on the Brighton to Coney Island, and make the (Q) express on the Brighton Line terminating at Brighton Beach, and running weekdays only. Also if the (Q) runs to Astoria. Make it go there for a reason, the (Q) now runs Express on the Astoria Line during Rush Hours. All other times, it terminates at 57th St/7th Ave

the (B) ran a lot more frequently than the (D) and served the West End Line better than the (D). During this switch I would also make the (Q) a weekday only train. so It wouldnt serve Brooklyn overnight

Wow so you're taking away 7 days a week Broadway express service

the (B) ran a lot more frequently than the (D) and served the West End Line better than the (D). During this switch I would also make the (Q) a weekday only train. so It wouldnt serve Brooklyn overnight

The (D) has more trainsets than the (B) does, mind you trainsets, not frequency. I don't know where you're getting this from, but you're wrong 100%.

Everyone has told you why the current setup on the Brooklyn BMT is the way it is. Either you're just trolling off your posts or you just don't get it. I'm pretty sure we had a similar discussion like this already, didn't we? Which happens to be at the Random Thoughts Thread. Even, Snowblock, one of the transit employees, told you everything about why the (B) and (D) are the way they are now.

Just stop.

I understand being nostalgic & all that, but some of you in this section really need to give it a rest with these antiquated ideas already....

What's wrong with you? Obviously the N and R have to revert back to its pre-'87 service, as should the B and D. For the sake of inclusion, the Q should move back to 6th Ave as well. That's how they were and that's how they should be, riders' demands be damned.

@Wallyhorse: No. Just...no.

Well this is all funny but I have another idea that involves Brooklyn and old times. Send the (B) down 4th Avenue Express and the West End Line to Coney Island. Send the (D) down local on the Brighton to Coney Island, and make the (Q) express on the Brighton Line terminating at Brighton Beach, and running weekdays only. Also if the (Q) runs to Astoria. Make it go there for a reason, the (Q) now runs Express on the Astoria Line during Rush Hours. All other times, it terminates at 57th St/7th Ave

Weekend and late night West End riders would like to have a word with you. With the D serving the West End, riders have 24/7 direct service to Manhattan. Moving the B back over to the West End would result in a return of the off-hours West End shuttle.

Since this keeps coming up, quite frankly for reasons unknown, let me explain something. Prior to the B/D switch in '01/'04 when the B was the primary West End line, here's how the service ran. During the normal hours (rush hours, middays), the B ran from Central Park West to Coney Island. Evenings and weekends, those trains were directed over to 57 St/6 Av and later 21 St-Queensbridge. Overnight hours, West End service was relegated to a shuttle where riders had to transfer to the N trains for Manhattan service.

Switching the southern routes of the B and D would be going back to that previous service pattern with one very big exception. Neither 21 St or 57 St are terminals anymore. While the latter station is used to turn M and Q trains occasionally, it's not a real terminal. And since the MTA is not likely to add 6th Ave/CPW service on weekends any time soon, West End riders will be subjected to the shuttle for the weekends as well as late nights. Just leave well enough alone.

oh yeah, i forgot about that. Why were the (B) and (C) switched anyway?

For the same reason the N and R did in '87. The C has easier access to 207 St running to 168 St than it did running up the Concourse.

What's wrong with you? Obviously the N and R have to revert back to its pre-'87 service, as should the B and D. For the sake of inclusion, the Q should move back to 6th Ave as well. That's how they were and that's how they should be, riders' demands be damned.

Q to 6th av.... D along the Brighton.... B along the West End.... K b/w WTC & washington heights....

Man, I just want the JFK express back....The sky blue bullet w/ the airplane symbol was cool!!

Riders' demands? The only rider's demands that matter are MINE!

(note the possessive usage)

Unless the (MTA) makes the (R) a new yard in Bay Ridge, the (N) and (R) will never change their northern terminals again.

that was planned

more tunnel talk from tunnel rat.

Posted by tunnel rat on Mon Oct 24 20:26:07 2005

At 95st&4th ave,the end of the R line the tunnels extend to 101 st.&4th ave.at 101st.there was supposed to be a 16 track yard with 2 thru tracks going to staten island.this fact is in a back issue of headlights the official ERA publication.I met a lighting maintainer about 5 years ago who told me that when they were doing work at the station some 5 or more years ago the walls past the bumperblocks were taken down.him and his partner walked the 2 tunnels to the end.he described it as an empty subway tunnel,no tracks,lights or signals.on the street there is no evidence of a subway,no vents,no manhole covers saying municipal railway.I,ve walked this several times and can verifiy this.he states the only way to get in now is thru an unmarked manhole shared by a common driveway around 95st.I found what I believe is the driveway&manhole.when I get some feedback on this post I,ll tell you what else he told me about that I did get into. a slight correction on 95st.the work was done 10 or more years ago. 

For argument sake, what if 39 St yard could be converted to a yard for the (R)?

Strategic move switching the (N) and (R) for yard usage back in 87. does anyone have maps of the swap implementation back then?

nrp1.jpg

nrp2.jpgnrp3.jpg

nrp4.jpg

Lol and while we're at it, let's start a petition to revive the NX because that is a very important line.

LOL! Brighton Beach does need more service. While we're at it lets extend the NX via the Brighton Line via the Franklin Avenue Shuttle during rush hours!

Q to 6th av.... D along the Brighton.... B along the West End.... K b/w WTC & washington heights....

Man, I just want the JFK express back....The sky blue bullet w/ the airplane symbol was cool!!

This is for you, B35

(JFK)

Lol, let's close down the 63 St connector, let the (E) go to 179 full time, (F) back on 53, brown (M), (V) and (W)! (G) to 71...

Lol, let's close down the 63 St connector, let the (E) go to 179 full time, (F) back on 53, brown (M), (V) and (W)! (G) to 71...

Man I'm one depressed old timer.

The (N) also ran a shuttle from 36 Street to Coney Island IINM prior to its northern terminal switch with the (R)

nrp1.jpg

nrp2.jpgnrp3.jpg

nrp4.jpg

So when the Manhattan Bridge closed on the north side, why was the yellow (B) extended to Ditmars Blvd rush hours?

Were they testing Coney Island service in Astoria? Obviously, the yellow (B) needed QBP because there was not enough space at 57 Street, but unless the TA was testing CI or Broadway Express service, I find this rush hour extension really odd....

Because QBP would be less able to handle turning rush hour trains (it required emptying out and relays that would get in the way of the other traffic). That was basically the old "T" anyway, which ran to Astoria rush hours, but didn't run at all middays (the TT covered West End, extended to Coney Island), so they simply restored that, but needed somewhere for it to go middays, and unlike the demand today or the 2001 revival with the (W) (which is what led to the current demand, not the 80's service as any "test" for it), it didn't need to go to Astoria middays.

They have used the 39th Street Yard for  (R)  train storage about 10 years ago...

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?32392

I have no idea why they stopped though.

An updated picture from 4 years ago, http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?119006 The only reason its not used now is because of the switching issue at 9th Avenue. You basically would have to relay the train for it to make its way onto its line to get into manhattan. You would back up every train on the West End both ways, especially at rush hour and we all know we dont need that.

My plan would do it, BUT that would also have the (D) and (R) switch southern terminals in Brooklyn as part of a plan that would have the (W) become the Rockaway Beach line between Whitehall Street and Rockaway Park if that did happen (and ONLY if it did):

In that, the (R) would return to being the 24/7 Astoria Line as it was prior to 1987 BUT would also replace the (D) on the West End to Coney Island so it would have yard access at Coney Island. It would run local as it does now from 36th Street northward.

The (D) would replace the (R) at 95th Street since the (D) does have Concourse Yard. It would move to the Express track at 59th and run express from there as it does now from 36th Street northward (including overnights).

The (N) would continue via Sea Beach as it does now BUT would be a local from 59th Street northward. It would also become the secondary line to Astoria, running there weekdays 5:30 AM-10:00 PM. The rest of the time, the (N) would supplement the (Q) on the SAS and run to 96th Street-2nd Avenue to give the UES additional service late nights and weekends (by the time this would happen, the SAS would be operational).

The (W) would become the Rockaway Beach line and run from Whitehall Street to Rockaway Park, replacing the (R) on Queens Boulevard (when needed for yard access, the (W) can be extended into and from Brooklyn).

Since in this setup the (W) would turn off the QB line in Rego Park, the (G) would go back to serving QB as well, with during rush hours and as needed otherwise the (G) and (M) both extended to 179th Street so as not to back up the (W) going to the Rockaway line as there would be three locals on QB.

None of that going to happen everything will remain the same

Too bad it can't though, because something has to serve the Bay Ridge branch (south of 59th), which happens to be the part-time (R). Meanwhile, the full-time (D) serves the West End Line and the full-time (N) serves the Sea Beach Line. The former already has a yard access to Concourse/Coney Island and the latter has a yard access to Coney Island.

The (R) already has a yard access to Jamaica east of Forest Hills, so there's no reason to make a big deal as to why everything should go back to the old times. It doesn't matter anymore now for the aforementioned reasons.

Do the (B) trains run on a 4 Car set or 8 car Set? And this whole switching terminal thing is impossible, the (N) and ® are happy where they are now. Unless something where to happen to the (N) and ® lines that would force them to switch terminals, everything is a big no no.

Archived