The Time for Reactivation of the Rockaway Beach Line is Now

BrooklynBus

Here's are ideas on how to reactivating the line, respond if it's crazy or stupid, 1: have the row clean for one track; 2: stations have two tracks similar to the Garden City station on the LIRR Hempstead Branch where trains wait until the other train clears the track; 3 Running the line from Howard Beach to Long Island City; 4: use unused extra diesel locomotives and cars to run on both on subway and US Railroad tracks; 5: the ride should cost the same as the subway bus fare but use the ticket machines similar to the ticket machines on the select bus service on all stations assigned on the line except the stations on the A line;  6: the ticket machines for Howard Beach, North Conduit, and Aqueduct racetrack station are similar to the machines at the parking spaces but located at the view upon entering the platform.

This would temporary until a decision is made if the line makes the quota on ridership and the MTA should have the first line to run on both LIRR and subway or single type of line: LIRR or subway. If the decision is LIRR, the line will operate between Penn Station to Ozone Park. If the decision is subway the line will operate between Rego Park and Rockaway Park- Beach 116 st as the possible revived H train. Or the MTA will order special cars for the R211 or M9 cars if the decision is both running on LIRR Main line and IND Rockaway Line. Comment as you see is fit.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would still have to do all the work that's necessary to bring the line back to a state of good repair. After 50+ years of no service, nature has been reclaiming the line. Might as well take the extra steps and electrify the line so it can run subway cars. LIRR is a poor fit for the line now because the demographics and development along the line have changed so much over the past five decades. Hell, if it wasn't for the four Nassau County stops, I'd push for converting the LIRR Port Washington Line to subway operation.

Also, if you're strengthening a two-track wide bridge and embankment for one track, it's not that much additional work to do it for two.

I did said temporary, anyway the MTA has to first study on the ridership in a test service. If that goes as a great success then the MTA will improve the sections that need much attention to reactive the line to full two track service. We'll have to see or read any developments in the future on the forgotten Rockaway spur.

You would still have to do all the work that's necessary to bring the line back to a state of good repair. After 50+ years of no service, nature has been reclaiming the line. Might as well take the extra steps and electrify the line so it can run subway cars. LIRR is a poor fit for the line now because the demographics and development along the line have changed so much over the past five decades. Hell, if it wasn't for the four Nassau County stops, I'd push for converting the LIRR Port Washington Line to subway operation.

If the MTA wants to convert the Port Washington Branch as a subway line in the past during the years when the IND Fulton Line was being extended to the Rockaways, then we might of been seeing the subway trains running besides the LIRR at Woodside but the 4 Nassau stop might of stop the planning but subway service was slow at that time period. The Port Washington Branch is connected to the main railroad and if it was converted to a subway, a overpass might be built over the tracks to connect to existing subway line like the Astoria line to the 59 Street tunnel or Steinway tunnel on the Flushing line. On the other hand, the Port Washington branch might become like the PATH or SIR and installation for CBTC would increase train capacity and faster service between Woodside and Port Washington. This could be in our imagination or created in a PC train simulator.

Well there was the RPA's Rx plan from 1996, which called for running hybrid subway/commuter trains (think PATCO or WMATA trains) on the PW branch and connect it to the 63rd St tunnel's upper level and then run it via the then-unused Broadway express tracks. Of course, that plan did not take into account where the Rx trains would have gone once the Manhattan Bridge south side tracks reopened.

I did said temporary, anyway the MTA has to first study on the ridership in a test service. If that goes as a great success then the MTA will improve the sections that need much attention to reactive the line to full two track service. We'll have to see or read any developments in the future on the forgotten Rockaway spur.

You can't really "temporarily" restore train tracks like that in a meaningful way, though, unless we're running 10MPH service - "temporary" restoration would cost probably just about the same as an actual restoration. Even restoring it to the minimal level a park would cost is $150M.

That's why a full study is needed to determine what's the best alternative for the right-of-way. One that places equal weight (or at least attempts to) on all possible alternatives - be it subway via Queens Blvd, subway via LIRR Main Line or Lower Montauk r-o-w, busway or bikeway/park. The only way you could do the temporary diesel LIRR service Woodside 7878 posted is if the line was still in some sort of useable condition. But because it's in such a state of disrepair after 50+ years of non-use, a restoration project would have to go all the way.

I am posting this for a friend.

Dear Friends of the Queens RBL,

Please contact us at Queens Public Transit Committee to join our fight for the restoration of the Queens Rockaway Beach Line.

Philip McManus

Queens Public Transit Committee

PhilAMcManus@gmail.com

718-679-5309

I am posting this for a friend.

Dear Friends of the Queens RBL,

Please contact us at Queens Public Transit Committee to join our fight for the restoration of the Queens Rockaway Beach Line.

Philip McManus

Queens Public Transit Committee

PhilAMcManus@gmail.com

718-679-5309

I will as soon as possible!

• 2 months later...

How I wish them luck...but, as someone who could see the highline a block from my window for five years, my hopes are not as high as they once were for successful reactivation (Not that I wanted that razed, mind you, but we need more rail in this city; not less).

That said, they have my support...as do those who want to repurpose the Bay Ridge Branch, or make use of any existing ROW and built trackway infrastructure throughout the system. Everything that exists ought to be used to the maximum potential.

Archived