Junius Street- Livonia Avenue Station?

ConcourseExp

Why can't the MTA make a transfer between the (3) and (L) at Junius Street and Livonia Aveune because the stairway next to the stations aren't working and it makes life easier whenever people want to take a faster route or some work on either line?

reasons, what would they be? how about;

There was never a transfer there, If they thought they would need one in 1948, why didn't they build it then?

how many people would actually use it

it's not a nice section of town

that bridge is the only route people have to get from one side of the Bay Ridge Row to the other. 

Why can't the MTA make a transfer between the (3) and (L) at Junius Street and Livonia Aveune because the stairway next to the stations aren't working and it makes life easier whenever people want to take a faster route or some work on either line?

What's the data? Are patterns showing that people would use the transfer? Lower Manhattan riders to Canarsie?  Why ride the (3) over the (A) for that pattern? Are we talking inter Borough travel? Crown Heights to Bushwick maybe? cutting Manhattan out? what's the reasoning behind it?

reasons, what would they be? how about;

There was never a transfer there, If they thought they would need one in 1948, why didn't they build it then?

how many people would actually use it

it's not a nice section of town

that bridge is the only route people have to get from one side of the Bay Ridge Row to the other. 

I would build a parallel bridge on the other side of the Livionia structure that would go right up into the former east mezzanine, and not down to the street at all.

I think people would use it; things are changing, and it would be another connection to the other side of Brooklyn (currently the only thing we have is the (A), going through Manhattan, or transferring to buses.

I would build a parallel bridge on the other side of the Livionia structure that would go right up into the former east mezzanine, and not down to the street at all.

I think people would use it; things are changing, and it would be another connection to the other side of Brooklyn (currently the only thing we have is the (A), going through Manhattan, or transferring to buses.

I could see it defiantly for intra borough trips. 

the "reasoning" is it's there, and some people can't fathom two lines crossing without a transfer station.

And in this case, those with an unlimited ride MetroCard can already do the (3) to (L) transfer if they want.

An OOS transfer between the two is probably the best solution.

One major problem with building an in-system transfer is ADA accessibility. This isn't the '50s; the MTA can't get away with building a couple of stairwells and a ramp and calling it done. Any new transfer has to be completely ADA accessible and that would cost some serious dough because both stations would have to be practically rebuilt to house all of the amenities. The low ridership levels at both stations is another hindrance to adding the transfer. If I'm not mistaken, when asked about the potential for such a transfer, Transit claimed that only a few thousand people would take advantage of such a connection. I don't remember when that statement came out unfortunately.

and of course the work would have about a billion miles of red tape. Environmental impact statements, alternatives analysis, contract bidding, companies who lost the contract suing.

And for those who favor an OOS transfer, be glad that the area has at least picked up somewhat over the years. twenty five years ago the Guardian Angles wouldn't even go anywhere near that bridge. When Curtis Sliwa's kids wouldn't touch a spot, you know it was trouble.  

And in this case, those with an unlimited ride MetroCard can already do the  (3) to  (L) transfer if they want.

An OOS transfer between the two is probably the best solution.

No, because you have to go down to the street, and then walk all the way to the other end of the (3) station and then back up a lot of stairs, when the nearer end is right there. (And then if crime would still be an issue over there, an inside transfer would be safer, and the street you're walking on is somewhat desolate).

One major problem with building an in-system transfer is ADA accessibility. This isn't the '50s; the MTA can't get away with building a couple of stairwells and a ramp and calling it done. Any new transfer has to be completely ADA accessible and that would cost some serious dough because both stations would have to be practically rebuilt to house all of the amenities. The low ridership levels at both stations is another hindrance to adding the transfer. If I'm not mistaken, when asked about the potential for such a transfer, Transit claimed that only a few thousand people would take advantage of such a connection. I don't remember when that statement came out unfortunately.

If they add the other bridge as I suggested, they could probably include and elevator straight to the platform from there, and the bridge would be on the same level as the (L) platform, so it shouldn't cost that much.

I have a feeling a bridge that is level with the L platform would foul up the Bay Ridge Branch. If memory serves, the existing bridge is higher than the platform level.

Now if it was level with the Manhattan bound 3 platform you might get somewhere.

Quite the opposite. Once you walk over the bridge to the Manhattan bound L, you gotta walk up about 3-5 steps to actually reach the platform

LOL... No way in hell is any transfer being built... The (MTA) does NOT care about anything that isn't in the Manhattan core. Hell if they can't even maintain stations in Midtown, Downtown and affluent residential areas of Manhattan, you know they couldn't give a damn about some stations out in East New York or wherever these stations are. 

LOL... No way in hell is any transfer being built... The (MTA) does NOT care about anything that isn't in the Manhattan core. Hell if they can't even maintain stations in Midtown, Downtown and affluent residential areas of Manhattan, you know they couldn't give a damn about some stations out in East New York or wherever these stations are.

Brownsville...

It seems that this proposal is brought up every year or so. I was going to let it die of it's own volition but, like a vampire, it comes back again. Let me give you my reasons ( and probably the (MTA)  ),why this is a waste of money and time. The (3) starts it's run three stations away. The (L) does likewise. People boarding these trains at their terminals usually arrive by bus or auto. Those same buses, the B15, B20, B60, and B83 connect with the IRT (3) or (4) trains at New Lots Ave and/or Pennsylvania Ave or Rockaway Avenue in the case of the B60. The B15 also connects with the (L) at the New Lots Canarsie line station. All of those buses also connect with the (A) or (C) lines along their routes. My question therefore is whom is this proposed transfer really for ? Railfans ? There is no reason for a regular commuter to utilize this Livonia-Junius transfer especially when the surface options are safer and more convenient not to mention quicker. For what it's worth those of us who actually know the location in question can see the main problem with building any sort of structural connection between the IRT and BMT. Since the flyover to Linden shop was built from the IRT station there is no entrance/exit at Junius Street. The only entrance to the station lies two blocks to the west at Sackman St. Those of you who just looked at a subway or Google map better head back to the drawing board. The whole fare control area at Junius St was torn down and no longer exists. Surely no one is suggesting building a structural connection from Sackman St and across the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch trackage, for very limited use. That's why nobody from the neighborhood has ever asked for an "out of system" transfer. I've never heard of students with passes or NYCT employees actively using the existing footbridge and connection. That's just my opinion though. Carry on.

Actually, the fare control area (or at least a mezzanine) IS still there. In fact, the existing bridge almost connects with it; what was removed was any stairs to the street, but it still has stairs to the platform. It's used by some other department now.

Archived