Brace Yourselves: Grand Jury Declines To Indict NYPD Officer In Chokehold Death Of Eric Garner

Fan Railer

There is a crime commuted every single day in this city, this case is nothing. and I lost an uncle to Violent crime and the worst part about it is one in the neighborhood want to speak out.

We're not talking about violent crime.  The outrage in this case is because cops are supposed to PROTECT US and UPHOLD THE DAMN LAW, not take the law into their own hands.  You're completely confused about this situation versus your situation with your uncle.  Your uncle lost his life from a violent criminal not some overzealous cop.  A lost life is a lost life of course, but there are some cases that are more egregious than others. Someone selling cigarettes does not need to be handled the way this guy was.  He was resisting arrest, but I mean seriously... All of those cops there... He wasn't going anywhere.  And then you have the media saying well the cops were of different races... Big deal... There are plenty of minority cops that could give two sh*ts about other minorities, and that's why that cop was allowed to do what he did and why none of those cops (including the minority cops) attempted to do anything but let him lie there and die.

. The outrage in this case is because cops are supposed to PROTECT US and UPHOLD THE DAMN LAW, 

But cops are people to not robots. 

You're completely confused about this situation versus your situation with your uncle.  Your uncle lost his life from a violent criminal not some overzealous cop.  A lost life is a lost life of course.

Human being killing other human being is pretty much the same to me. it's just that someone got away with it.

Human being killing other human being is pretty much the same to me.

So you're saying that cops should not be held to a higher standard of conduct on the simple virtue that they are cops? That's a ridiculous point of view.

Criminals are expected to do violent things and kill people. You're not going to walk around and say, "Oh my gosh, I'm so surprised that this criminal killed someone. I thought that criminals were being held to a higher standard..." That's just asinine.

A cop's job description states that he/she is to protect the law and the rights of citizens that they SERVE. We should NOT have to expect that cops will abuse their power and use unnecessary excessive force. If a potential cop can't live up to those higher expectations, then he/she shouldn't be a cop.

So yes, there is a HUGE difference between when a hardened criminal kills someone intentionally and when a cop kills someone inadvertently through the intentional misuse of excessive force. Perhaps you should learn that difference.

Human being killing other human being is pretty much the same to me. it's just that someone got away with it.

You're right they aren't robots.  At the same time, if you have cops that believe in excessive force like this cop did then you have a huge problem on your hands.  That officer has been cited for NUMEROUS cases of excessive force, so this isn't the first time that he's had a problem.  The city has to do something about police brutality in general, not because of race issues or any of that BS, but primarily because we CAN'T AFFORD IT!  The police commissioner was just on Fox 5 this morning explaining why the cops allowed those protests yesterday as long as they weren't violent.  He stated that cops are still being called to testify for protests that happened years ago and the NYPD is still facing lawsuits from those situations.  Then you have all of these excessive force cases and police brutality cases.  It's costing the city a fortune to keep paying out for these things. This family is probably going to get $75 million for a Civil Suit.  $75 million could be used to improve our school system or our roads!

So you're saying that cops should not be held to a higher standard of conduct on the simple virtue that they are cops? That's a ridiculous point of view.

Criminals are expected to do violent things and kill people. You're not going to walk around and say, "Oh my gosh, I'm so surprised that this criminal killed someone. I thought that criminals were being held to a higher standard..." That's just asinine.

A cop's job description states that he/she is to protect the law and the rights of citizens that they SERVE. We should NOT have to expect that cops will abuse their power and use unnecessary excessive force. If a potential cop can't live up to those higher expectations, then he/she shouldn't be a cop.

So yes, there is a HUGE difference between when a hardened criminal kills someone intentionally and when a cop kills someone inadvertently through the intentional misuse of excessive force. Perhaps you should learn that difference.

I have to be honest in saying that a certain individual lacks education and common sense...

Did I say that? did you look at my comments? that action of the cop uncalled, no I don't think they should held a higher standard and they should be trial like everybody else. but I also don't like people mislabel cops as killers or power hungry not all cops are bad just like not every black person is a ghetto thug.  

Did I say that? did you look at my comments? that action of the cop uncalled, no I don't think they should held a higher standard and they should be trial like everybody else. but I also don't like people mislabel cops as killers or power hungry not all cops are bad just like not every black person is a ghetto thug.  

LOL... So you don't think cops should be held to a higher standard even though their jobs is to uphold and protect the law??  :huh:

I hope you know the meaning of the words you're using. Not holding them to a higher standard means that cops should revert to mob violence to uphold the law, using pitch forks, and ropes to hang whoever they even suspect of wrongdoing. And then the only difference from vigilantism is that they would be legal.

I hope you know the meaning of the words you're using. Not holding them to a higher standard means that cops should revert to mob violence to uphold the law, using pitch forks, and ropes to hang whoever they even suspect of wrongdoing. And then the only difference from vigilantism is that they would be legal.

What I mean by higher standard I mean they shouldn't be above the law if they do a crime, if a cop commit a crime they should be tried like everybody else by a jury.

What am mean by higher standard I mean they shouldn't be above the law if they do a crime, if a cop commit a crime they should be tried like everybody else by a jury.

No one is saying they should be above the law.

You've muddied your own point so much with bad grammar and syntax that I don't think even you could follow your own train of thought/logic over these past 3 pages.

My point here has always been that the cop in question in the Garner case acted in negligence and disregard, and should have been indicted for his inappropriate behavior. The fact that he wasn't indicted reveals a huge flaw in the legal system and how it represents everyday people.

Yes, we all know (I hope) that not every cop is power hungry or abusive, and not every black person is a ghetto gangster; no one here is saying that. Hell, my state's Junior Senator is African American and speaks to the potential and successes that African Americans can and do achieve. The point here is that there are some people who are part of every group that bring down the group by casting a negative image through their irresponsible behavior.

Re: Police Training

Another thought about Police Officers and education: I would also have thought that as part of said curriculum would be training of the U.S. Constitution/Bill of Rights, etc. This also plays into the police harassment of Railfans/people with cameras.

If this were the case, then departments all over the country have sacrificed rights of people whether through financial cutbacks or whatever, by lowering standards to hire police officers for the sake of numbers. This is evidenced by a huge number of policemen being reprimanded, suspended, etc.

What I want to know is how the grand jury choose to not indict the police officer? He was being reckless in trying to subdue Eric Garner and ended up killing him. Did the prosecutor ask the wrong questions or something?

What I want to know is how the grand jury choose to not indict the police officer? He was being reckless in trying to subdue Eric Garner and ended up killing him. Did the prosecutor ask the wrong questions or something?

It seems like we'll have to wait a while longer before we know the full details of what happened behind those closed doors.

You two are something else.  Someone lost their life due to excessive force by cops.  Show some compassion.  So what you were inconvenienced... You're alive nonetheless... My commute was delayed last night and this morning.  People have a right to protest and show their dismay with the system, which includes the subway.  I'm pro cop, but what that cop did was really inexcusable, and people are disgusted with the decision.  There needs to be an overhaul with the system in general and it doesn't just start with hiring more minorities as if white cops are too insensitive to deal with minorities.  The whole mentality has to change regardless of what the race or ethnicity of the cops hired is, and until that happens we'll have more of these incidents.

What I am sick of hearing about are these lawsuits costing taxpayers millions of dollars.  This family is going to file a Civil suit for millions (and win) because of this knuckle head and his bone head move.  Sure the guy resisted, but with all of those cops surrounding him I don't see where exactly he was going.  

That's the whole friggin' point... This man was killed by excessive force by a cop and people think they should go on to work as if everything is okay.  Are you serious with yourself? I mean I get it... Hell I needed to get to work too... We all do... But to sit here and b*tch about how your subway ride was held up because of people protesting police brutality is just completely selfish as if they should only protest in areas where you aren't affected.  If that happened to your family you would be singing a different tune.

This IMO isn't about race (even though the media is making it about that).  This is about cops who think they're above the law and can do as they please when they want, and as far as I'm concerned, we are all supposed to be held to the same laws, but some of these cops out here (minorities included) don't think that the laws apply to them, so it's okay to put someone in a choke hold for selling cigarettes.  I mean the whole thing is f*cking insane.  Now they're saying that they were ordered to take this guy in for selling cigarettes... Don't they have better things to do like catching robbers and rapists... Now like I said, Garner was no saint, and quite frankly shouldn't have resisted arrest, but what that cop did was unnecessary.  My thinking is he saw a big black guy and treated the guy like he was animal as if that was the only way to arrest him.  I've seen this crap with whites too with white cops using more force than necessary when trying to arrest white folks.  I think some cops like the idea of being "in control" and having control over others and it fills their egos.  That's why I don't think it makes a difference if you hire more minorities because cops with ego trips have them regardless of their race.

Excellent posts!

There is no excuse for blocked traffic. You have the right to protest but not impede on my right of free movement. Stay wherever you want where you're not doing that, but if you want to block traffic and basically throw a parade go and apply for a parade permit and allow the NYPD to notify the public and close the street like Macy's and all the other parades do. Someone needs to teach these Occupy Wall Street guys and Williamsburg hipster trash (and that's 70-80% of the people I see in these rallies, OWS including the people bused in by unions like the SEIU and being there in their purple shirts because they were told to) that they can't interfere with free movement. OWS was kept in check by Bloomberg and when they tried to block the Brooklyn Bridge they were removed, now because the protestors are DeBlasio's political allies he issues orders that they not be arrested.

Next time they block the highways the State Police should take appropriate action. All highways are State property and if the mayor's police won't remove people trespassing on state property just because the mayor happens to be on the protestors' side the governor should have the Troopers enforce the laws the mayor refuses to. When our major roadways are blocked lives can be put at risk, let's not forget all the pictures the media shoved down our throats of "Bridge Gate" and all the ambulances and school buses not being able to make it through traffic. I honestly hope the governor has more of a concern for public safety than the radical mayor and decides to take that route if it needs to be taken, at least warning the mayor and PD that if they keep allowing this to happen the state will take action on its own and hopefully then the mayor cuts the crap.

Archived