BQE Interstate renumbering

46Dover

Road fans

The Brooklyn-Queens Expressway is currently known as Interstate 278 which also runs via Staten Island Expressway and no connection to Interstate 78.

Here's what I propose:

Bring Interstate 87 past the Major Deegan Expressway over the RFK Bridge and replace Interstate 278 as the BQE, and across the Verrazano Bridge to the Staten Island Expressway. Then put it off at the West Shore Expressway crossing the Outerbridge Crossing to the I-95 NJ Turnpike (exit 10)/I-287 junction.

Bruckner Expressway would go from I-278 to I-387

Segment from West Shore Expressway across the Goethals Bridge to Exit 13 (NJ Turnpike) would be I-187

Makes more sense than I-278. I think the original plan was for 278 to continue from the Goethals through Jersey on a similar route to 287 to connect with 78. I always imagined that it would be more logical to give 278 a 95 number like 395 or 295, but this plan makes sense, too.

The only thing I would switch is the 87 and 187 designators on Staten Island. I'd put the end of 87 at the Goethals and extend the 287 designation all the way across NJ 440 (south of the Outerbridge) and all sections of NY 440, handing off to NJ 440 on the Bayonne side of the bridge.

Well, to me, it wouldn't be feasible to loop I-287 all the way up to the Staten Island Expressway because you'll have two north and south designators, it would be too confusing. Better to have the two roads meet at Exit 10 on the turnpike (Look up Interstate 64/664 setup in Hampton Roads area in Virginia)

From what I learned in High School Drivers Education class, odd numbered 3 digit interstate roads are supposed to be Spurs, whereas the even numbered 3 digit highways are supposed to be a bypass route to reconnect with the regular highway. But in most parts of the country, especially I. the Tri State area, this rule goes right out the window

Well, to me, it wouldn't be feasible to loop I-287 all the way up to the Staten Island Expressway because you'll have two north and south designators, it would be too confusing. Better to have the two roads meet at Exit 10 on the turnpike (Look up Interstate 64/664 setup in Hampton Roads area in Virginia)

That's true. In that case I'd end 287 there and change 440 east of the Turnpike and south of the Bayonne Bridge to 187.

I think it would make more sense if I-278 became I-295, whether it goes from the Exit 10 or exit 13 on the NJTP, you leave I-95 in NJ and meet back up with it at the Bruckner interchange.

The numbering in NYC is screwed up overall.

Can't do it, 295 exists in New Jersey from Delaware to Trenton NJ.

Can't do it, 295 exists in New Jersey from Delaware to Trenton NJ.

Oh right, if we follow your original plan then I-495 for the LIE would have to be changed as there is no connection to I-95 and I-678 has no connection to I-78. I-295 for the Clearview Expressway and Cross Bronx Expressway Extension and I-678 is technically numbered "wrong" because they form a stub they should start with an odd number, same for the LIE.

Oh right, if we follow your original plan then I-495 for the LIE would have to be changed as there is no connection to I-95 and I-678 has no connection to I-78. I-295 for the Clearview Expressway and Cross Bronx Expressway Extension and I-678 is technically numbered "wrong" because they form a stub they should start with an odd number, same for the LIE.

go figure....

Here's an easy one that would make all numbers "correct".

I-278 becomes I-495 (SIE, BQE, Bruckner Expwy) - It leaves I-95 in NJ and rejoins in the Bronx.

I-80 gets extended to Hillside Ave Via (GWB, CBX, TNB, CVE).

I-678 becomes I-195 (It branches off I-80/95 in the Bronx and dead ends in JFK)

I-495 (LIE) becomes I-180 connects to I-80 via the Clearview Expressway

Here's an easy one that would make all numbers "correct".

I-278 becomes I-495 (SIE, BQE, Bruckner Expwy) - It leaves I-95 in NJ and rejoins in the Bronx.

I-80 gets extended to Hillside Ave Via (GWB, CBX, TNB, CVE).

I-678 becomes I-195 (It branches off I-80/95 in the Bronx and dead ends in JFK)

I-495 (LIE) becomes I-180 connects to I-80 via the Clearview Expressway

495 should be left as is, I have a hard enough time trying to convince people that Staten Island is not part of Long Island <_< . Don't forget that I-278 begins in Linden, NJ and although technically State Highway 495 (Secaucus/North Bergen to Lincoln Tunnel) is indeed a state road in NJ, it could cause some confusion.

I think I-395 should be used for I-278 as the number doesn't appear elsewhere in the area as far as I know.

495 should be left as is, I have a hard enough time trying to convince people that Staten Island is not part of Long Island <_< . Don't forget that I-278 begins in Linden, NJ and although technically State Highway 495 (Secaucus/North Bergen to Lincoln Tunnel) is indeed a state road in NJ, it could cause some confusion.

I think I-395 should be used for I-278 as the number doesn't appear elsewhere in the area as far as I know.

3-digit Interstates that begin with odd numbers should be dead end spurs. So 295,495,695,895 would make more sense for the current 278. But NJ already has 295 so that can't be used

Archived