Slow T.Os ...No Offense But Seriously...

Juelz4309

Before I start Let me say That I Have the utmost respect for train ops aka motorman/women As I actually want to be one myself God Willing One day....But bare with me on this one! 

Ive noticed in the past few months ive gotten on quite a few trains and the t/o just seems to be rookies scared to move it along!...Ive been riding my lines for years...as a native NYker you know when somethin aint runnin right.... Not to mention I do my majority of riding during the rush hours with light weekend travel....Now i would assume that transit puts there "veterans and most expereinced" on for the rush hours for optimal service...and save the other times for the newbies...Example..

I took the 2 to 96 st from 42 around 630 This evening... Missed the 1 by seconds (typical unfornately but understandable due to huge loads) next train in in 9 MINUTES....that 9 minutes was honestly 12 minutes...And I Quikcly found out why....

We pulled outta 96 at 15-20 mph all the way to 103...and the same ALL THE WAY to 137 (With slower than usual pull off time after the doors are closed) ....Then at which point it was announced that it wud skip stop to 168 then on to 242 ...To my dismay and many others as I had to get off at 157....I Immeadiately knew it was becuase this "Rookie' Was movin to damn slow!!!! The next train was directly behind him as it is...which is what i ended up catchin at 137...What Gives or is it just my luck lol....

I would assume that something must of happened at the same time you were riding the train. I usually encounter situations like this on the (B) and (Q) until I realize it's either unexpected/posted construction or something happened up ahead and it's just been cleared without knowledge.

I would assume that something must of happened at the same time you were riding the train. I usually encounter situations like this on the (B) and (Q) until I realize it's either unexpected/posted construction or something happened up ahead and it's just been cleared without knowledge.

I understand but becuase I waited at 96 st for 12 long minutes...It was crush capacity...and it was clearly the operator...there was no traffic or constrction in fron of us...again its rush hour...and I have a app that alerts me in real time (itransNYC) that alerts me in real time if theres some type a delay.....which there was not....it seems as if he/she was scarred of overshooting...breaking way earlier than usual...as to the veterans who come in at 25+ and stop on a dime....

Usually those apps get the data from the MTA, and if the MTA doesn't report it you're f**ked. Could have been a signal problem who knows. I wouldn't jump to conclusions on blaming it on the operator. Also next time you type a post out use periods and commas rather than ellipsis aka dot-dot-dot.

I used itransNYC before, it says realtime, but I've had numerous times where something happened suddenly and it was no updated on itransNYC. Heck even mta.info sometimes doesn't have it updated instantly as well.

Woops, pretty much Quill just said what I wanted to say as well.

At rush hour more than likely there was a train in front of him/her. A T/O would be foolish to approach a yellow at full speed. If it is a "rookie" they are doing the right thing by taking there time and keeping thier job.. The MTA doesn't take station overshoots or signal overruns lightly. In the past few months they have had quite a few brand new T/O,s on the road so until they become comfortable and gain exprience they will not operate like us with more time behind the controls.  It's the ones who think they are hotshots already that will be on the platform or out of a job.

Besides the lead train would take the skip, and the follower would sweep up. If three trains are stacked someone should have acted a bit sooner. I've only really encountered one slow T/O (the others were early and killing time). He brought us nearly to a stop to get a 2 shot timer to clear. Also it's not a given the veterans will be especially assigned to rush hour. Each shift has a part in rush hour, since transit is seniority based the vets can pick so that they work more toward the shoulders of rush hour. So actually there may be a high number of rookies.

Some of them go crazy on the acceleration and braking. You know how the lights go from red to yellow and then green on the Manhattan Bridge on the way down? The guy applied those brakes like his life depended on it. And I can usually stand on a train without holding on to anything for the entire ride, but that guy had me tossed around like a rag doll.

Also next time you type a post out use periods and commas rather than ellipsis aka dot-dot-dot.

Not sure I agree.  I would agree that in formal grammar, the comma would normally be proper.  Wiithout hopefully opening up a stage for grammatical argument, however, there are some styles of writing in which "dot-dot-dot" is used as a standard punctuation.  For instance it has standard usage in broadcasting.  The "dot-dot-dot" ellipsis indicates a pause that is of substantially longer duration than a simple comma and is often used for emphasis.  One learns this as a part of learning to write "for the ear" rather than for the eye.  Writing for the ear more closely follows human speech patterns and therefore requires a greater breadth of punctuation than formal writing.  So, depending on the circumstances, either could be correct.  How I would write an article for a print media or a formal research paper would be much different than how I would write a speech, a commercial, or a radio/television news story to be read aloud.  Since this is a rather informal forum, I don't see a problem with the inclusion of "dot-dot-dot" as a device of punctuation.

Not sure I agree.  I would agree that in formal grammar, the comma would normally be proper.  Wiithout hopefully opening up a stage for grammatical argument, however, there are some styles of writing in which "dot-dot-dot" is used as a standard punctuation.  For instance it has standard usage in broadcasting.  The "dot-dot-dot" ellipsis indicates a pause that is of substantially longer duration than a simple comma and is often used for emphasis.  One learns this as a part of learning to write "for the ear" rather than for the eye.  Writing for the ear more closely follows human speech patterns and therefore requires a greater breadth of punctuation than formal writing.  So, depending on the circumstances, either could be correct.  How I would write an article for a print media or a formal research paper would be much different than how I would write a speech, a commercial, or a radio/television news story to be read aloud.  Since this is a rather informal forum, I don't see a problem with the inclusion of "dot-dot-dot" as a device of punctuation.

Fair enough. But if you're going to do that, include an audio recording of yourself reading it aloud. Otherwise, forum posts are for human eyes.

Archived