Bx9 SBS

ConcourseExp

I thought about this for a long time, but could the Bx9 be a SBS and the reason I say this is because no matter what time of day it is, it's always crowded and it has high ridership. This route deserves to be SBS since it runs from the border of The Bronx to Yonkers to West Farms.

I thought about this for a long time, but could the Bx9 be a SBS and the reason I say this is because no matter what time of day it is, it's always crowded and it has high ridership. This route deserves to be SBS since it runs from the border of The Bronx to Yonkers to West Farms.

That seems unnecessary given the time length of the Bx9.

It's about ridership, not time length.

Even if it has good ridership, there are a lot of things to consider:

The Bx9 does not have LTD service. Unless there is a start of LTD service at least rush hours, it seems that the Bx9 will not be converted to SBS. And if it's possible, could LTD service even work under the (1)?

The Bx9 is also one of those routes that goes from street to street constantly. Most SBS route have at most two different streets to use. Would SBS work with a line that has lots of zigs and zags?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is a lot more than just ridership.

And Via Garibaldi 8 is right. SBS is all about being faster than a LTD bus.

Even if it has good ridership, there are a lot of things to consider:

The Bx9 does not have LTD service. Unless there is a start of LTD service at least rush hours, it seems that the Bx9 will not be converted to SBS. And if it's possible, could LTD service even work under the (1)?

The Bx9 is also one of those routes that goes from street to street constantly. Most SBS route have at most two different streets to use. Would SBS work with a line that has lots of zigs and zags?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is a lot more than just ridership.

The (MTA) is interested in placing SBS service where there is a lack of a subway.  Corridors such as Fordham Road which the Bx12SBS serves is an example, as well as the M15 and B44.  They serve MAJOR corridors either go "crosstown" or North & South.  I don't see the Bx9 fitting that category.  If anything, i could see the Bx1/Bx2 corridor getting it.  For the record I don't use the local buses in the Bronx, but I observe while waiting for or on the express bus.  When on the BxM4 going to or from Woodlawn, there are always crowds for the Bx1 and Bx2 along the Concourse.

The (MTA) is interested in placing SBS service where there is a lack of a subway.  Corridors such as Fordham Road which the Bx12SBS serves is an example, as well as the M15 and B44.  They serve MAJOR corridors either go "crosstown" or North & South.  I don't see the Bx9 fitting that category.  If anything, i could see the Bx1/Bx2 corridor getting it.  For the record I don't use the local buses in the Bronx, but I observe while waiting for or on the express bus.  When on the BxM4 going to or from Woodlawn, there are always crowds for the Bx1 and Bx2 along the Concourse.

The Bx1 and Bx2 have the (B) and (D), so it seems unlikely.

Believe it or not, the Bx1/Bx2 and the (B) / (D) don't seem to serve the same ridership base.

Not many people use the (B) and (D) for intra-Bronx travel unless they are going to one of the major stops. Most people feel more comfortable taking the bus along the Concourse for the intra-Bronx travels, while they would still take the train to Manhattan or to 161. Besides, some of those Concourse stations have had a bad rap and a certain vibe about them for years.

A Bx1 SBS with a Bx2 local would be quite useful, especially if they managed to get the buses to use the main road (except around Fordham where the main road dips below Fordham Road)

Believe it or not, the Bx1/Bx2 and the (B) / (D) don't seem to serve the same ridership base.

Not many people use the (B) and (D) for intra-Bronx travel unless they are going to one of the major stops. Most people feel more comfortable taking the bus along the Concourse for the intra-Bronx travels, while they would still take the train to Manhattan or to 161. Besides, some of those Concourse stations have had a bad rap and a certain vibe about them for years.

A Bx1 SBS with a Bx2 local would be quite useful, especially if they managed to get the buses to use the main road (except around Fordham where the main road dips below Fordham Road)

hmm suckers and those going somewhere to be fair the crowding on those buses is a joke speed not so much. Smh at suckers who put up with that.

If they want to use the bus instead of the subway for faster service, it's there loss lol. 

But if the Bx1 was to be SBS, one problem would be the Concourse itself because of the main road dipping under Fordham Road (as you pointed out) and the service road being too narrow.

I'm honestly not a big fan of switching from the service road to the main road unless it is absolutely necessary for a turn, so I don't think Bx1 SBS will work out.

Just because a route has high ridership, that does not mean it needs SBS.

If they want to use the bus instead of the subway for faster service, it's there loss lol.

But if the Bx1 was to be SBS, one problem would be the Concourse itself because of the main road dipping under Fordham Road (as you pointed out) and the service road being too narrow.

I'm honestly not a big fan of switching from the service road to the main road unless it is absolutely necessary for a turn, so I don't think Bx1 SBS will work out.

D & B is SBS along Concourse or sometimes 4 nearby.

Yea, the service road is quite a piece of work now with the bike lanes...

We use the main road on the BxM4 when folks aren't getting off along the Concourse and are heading to Woodlawn or the Westchester border, including dipping under Fordham Road.  Why wouldn't the local buses be able to do it?

We use the main road on the BxM4 when folks aren't getting off along the Concourse and are heading to Woodlawn or the Westchester border, including dipping under Fordham Road.  Why wouldn't the local buses be able to do it?

It's probably for accessibility reasons and the frequent stops, but the MTA probably has other reasons too...

The Bx1 LTD can get away with weaving in and out of the service road at a couple of points (like Fordham to Burnside, there is no 183rd stop for the Bx1 LTD) but even then they stay on the service road.

Regarding the responses to my post, if the criteria is an SBS route has to be limited, not mainly serve a subway line and be a straight route, then lines under consideration should be the M5, M101 or the M12. Problem is, nothing's perfect. The 12 is too short of a route and not Limited, the 5 runs with several other buses, so the 101 is a good candidate. 

Regarding the responses to my post, if the criteria is an SBS route has to be limited, not mainly serve a subway line and be a straight route, then lines under consideration should be the M5, M101 or the M12. Problem is, nothing's perfect. The 12 is too short of a route and not Limited, the 5 runs with several other buses, so the 101 is a good candidate. 

Why would the M12 be limited when it barely gets riders and runs every half hour? I find it amazing that you would even bring that route up.  The M5 as well.  The M101 serves mainly areas where there is subway service....  <_<

Whoever said that first part... Well that can't be true, since the M60 & the M16/34 were never LTD's.....

As for the part about straight(er) routes, that is for feasibility purposes (which is one of the goals of SBS; to make like easier for riders)

Not that I'm exactly clamoring for a Bx9 SBS, but I would like to see the MTA try their hand at an SBS route that makes a significant amt. of turns...... I personally don't think it would pan out (for the better)

as far as the M5, M12, and M101 being candidates, well forget about the M12 (for reasons already stated)....

I could actually see the MTA turning the M5 into an SBS route - however, it would involve taking the M5 off riverside drive.... The M101, I'm not so sure if that route would even be kept intact when it's all said & done....

Whoever said that first part... Well that can't be true, since the M60 & the M16/34 were never LTD's.....

As for the part about straight(er) routes, that is for feasibility purposes (which is one of the goals of SBS; to make like easier for riders)

Not that I'm exactly clamoring for a Bx9 SBS, but I would like to see the MTA try their hand at an SBS route that makes a significant amt. of turns...... I personally don't think it would pan out (for the better)

as far as the M5, M12, and M101 being candidates, well forget about the M12 (for reasons already stated)....

I could actually see the MTA turning the M5 into an SBS route - however, it would involve taking the M5 off riverside drive.... The M101, I'm not so sure if that route would even be kept intact when it's all said & done....

Go to MysteriousBTrain's post(post #5). He pretty much indicated the LTD stuff.

Why would the M12 be limited when it barely gets riders and runs every half hour? I find it amazing that you would even bring that route up.  The M5 as well.  The M101 serves mainly areas where there is subway service....  <_<

As I said, nothing's perfect and I discounted the M12 in my previous post. Problem is, when you restrict yourself to straight routes, you limit yourself. I get it about turns and bus lanes and all, but there aren't many options. I think this is why SBS is considered on crosstown routes. Regarding the M5, I don't know what part of your post you're referring to, but i'll just piggyback off of what B35 said about it. As far as the M101 goes, this goes back to my original point about straight routes and such. I'll leave Brooklyn and Queens to other users, but as far as Manhattan and Brooklyn go, the M34/A connects with many subways and the M60 turns. Other straight route candidates:

M10: serves CPW, but connects to the (B) and (C).

M42: Well, we all know about this bus. Connects to every train except the (G), (L), (J), (Z) and two of the (S).

M103: runs along Lexington Avenue, connects to the (4)(5)(6).

I'd have to think about the Bronx routes a bit more carefully. Again, there's no perfect option.

Archived