(7) line extension to 34 Street-Hudson Yards station opening day saga continues...

Union Tpke

MTA says its now forecasting the opening day is: 2nd Quarter of 2015 instead of February 2015. ( All parties are working together to bring the construction completion as close as possible to the original agreed upon date.)

MTA's Independent Engineer is reporting on April Fools day 2015.

Main reasons...

1. Fire Alarm systems... problems with the test. Major hold up, they can not test : Escalators, Elevators, CCTV, Ventilation fans etc.

2. Inclined Elevators.... Fail two times at the factory test. There is a delay of testing and installing at the station.

3. Testing & Acceptance of Transmission Backbone System... due to test delay submission.

MTA's Independent Engineer report also finds...

• Two systems, fire alarm and backbone communications remain on the critical path of the Systems and Finishes contractor’s schedule and continue to be delayed.

• Several systems (fire alarm, radio systems, computer based dispatch, train ID) have not reached the appropriate test level to start operator Training and continue to be delayed.

• Additional mitigations have been proposed, including the prioritization of contractor acceptance testing and NYCT review/approval cycles. MTACC has obtained additional testing & commissioning experts with NYCT expertise to further advance the schedule.

• NYCT continues to provide the requested support for the compressed schedule, but significant schedule risk remains as there is no contingency on multiple system paths.

• As a result, the IEC forecasts a revenue service date no earlier than April 2015. 

Note: No problems on the escalators and entire project budget remains on track ($9 million under budget) 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hold on a second. At bobtehpanda asked, is there a reliable source for the (7) Extension delay because 1. It seems fishy it will be delayed to April Fools day and 2. I tried to find a source myself and nothing came up on google.

I don't think 34 Street qualifies as a "reopen" station Lance.

Lance means which of the 3 stations would be in passenger service first.

Hold on a second. At bobtehpanda asked, is there a reliable source for the (7) Extension delay because 1. It seems fishy it will be delayed to April Fools day and 2. I tried to find a source myself and nothing came up on google.

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/141215_1345_CPOC.pdf - pages 31 and 42 both give April 1 as the earliest likely opening date.

Wth does the station need an inclined elevator?

It needs an elevator of some sort because of ADA.

An inclined elevator can share the escalator shaft. A standard vertical elevator requires dedicated vertical and horizontal shafts. Presumably, when the plans were being developed, the inclined option was the cheaper of the two. (Whether it worked out that way in the end I have no idea.)

Oh I understand the need for an elevator because the ada laws mandate all new stations be built with one, but i'm still trying to picture why they need to be inclined for this station.

Already answered by the post you're replying to:

An inclined elevator can share the escalator shaft. A standard vertical elevator requires dedicated vertical and horizontal shafts. Presumably, when the plans were being developed, the inclined option was the cheaper of the two. (Whether it worked out that way in the end I have no idea.)

The idea is to drill once instead of twice.

They have the tunnels, tracks, and signals in order. I highly doubt that even if there were minor problems, politicians would let the opening delay further. It's so tantalizingly close to completion that I wouldn't be surprised if they just opened it anyway and left the non-essentials (which I consider to include ADA-accessibility) to ongoing work after opening. The station cavern is huge and they have plenty of space to continue this work while the station is in service.

They have the tunnels, tracks, and signals in order. I highly doubt that even if there were minor problems, politicians would let the opening delay further. It's so tantalizingly close to completion that I wouldn't be surprised if they just opened it anyway and left the non-essentials (which I consider to include ADA-accessibility) to ongoing work after opening. The station cavern is huge and they have plenty of space to continue this work while the station is in service.

ADA laws mandate otherwise. Station has to be open with FULL accessibility or face a lawsuit

Archived