(7) line extension to 34 Street-Hudson Yards station opening day saga continues...

Union Tpke

Alot of complex work there i'm sure there was a lot of underpinning and foundation shoring especially with the Joralemon tubes. The 34th street station is down there as well. Right out of Times Sqaure I immediately felt the downgrade. I could be off felt like a at least 2% downgrade. What's the depth on the Hudson Yards station? 100+ feet down?

It's about 110 ft down, 3rd deepest in the system behind 191 St on the (1) (180 feet), & 190 St on the (A) (140 feet).

I rode a train out of 34 St the other night, and I felt and saw the train roll backwards a few feet once the T/O released the brakes before the motors kicked in.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there is any NY-NJ rapid transit on a larger scale, it would need to be of the high speed type. A Commuter Rapid Transit system similar in vein to the ones envisioned by Daniel L. Turner in the 1920s. He foresaw suburban sprawl before the term existed and wanted to make sure there was adequate transport for those populations. Either that, or merge NJT and LIRR into one network. (Yes, I'm OBVIOULY awaye of the technical challenges of such a thing. But I would not call it impossible to do.)

It's a pretty bad idea since New Jersey does not, and is probably not going to, fund the MTA through the various taxes and surcharges that taxpayers in New York from Dutchess to Queens to Suffolk pay. There's no reason why New Jersey should get more capital money than those three counties, even though they've paid their fair share for more than 50 years.

Not saying I fully disagree but New Jersey or not it's still apart of the NewYork Metro area. A person is just looking for a decent place to live in decent proximity to work. New Jersey should contribute no question! But man way to much complications! Jersey City's a stones throw from Manhattan with space and available housing stock. Should the tax sovereignties of the States be taken and handled by the feds? Would that solve some of the issues? Moving forward why shouldn't state boarders be voided in place of Metro Area's? Just think were boxing ourselves into a conner and the lack of investment in Transit may be proof of that..What do you think the solution is?

Not saying I fully disagree but New Jersey or not it's still apart of the NewYork Metro area. A person is just looking for a decent place to live in decent proximity to work. New Jersey should contribute no question! But man way to much complications! Jersey City's a stones throw from Manhattan with space and available housing stock. Should the tax sovereignties of the States be taken and handled by the feds? Would that solve some of the issues? Moving forward why shouldn't state boarders be voided in place of Metro Area's? Just think were boxing ourselves into a conner and the lack of investment in Transit may be proof of that..What do you think the solution is?

Just keep the (7) at 34th Street. That's it. Nothing else. As for the tax sovereignites, leave it to the states. 

Just keep the (7) at 34th Street. That's it. Nothing else. As for the tax sovereignites, leave it to the states. 

How's does this suggestion help NewYork solve growing population and transit accessibility?  Namely Chelsea and the Meat Packing? You have a entirely new Neighborhood that estimated growth plus the growth over the last decade in neighborhoods to the south might warrant at least a environmental study for feasibility.        

The New York City Transit Museum (@nytransitmuseum) posts about most fan trips on their instagram page. That's how I know what's happening most of the time but I know there are sometimes when they don't post about trips like that. As for your RFW question, there are not many, but I caught 2081 with an RFW and got to film from Times Square to 34th Street. 

The New York City Transit Museum (@nytransitmuseum) posts about most fan trips on their instagram page. That's how I know what's happening most of the time but I know there are sometimes when they don't post about trips like that. As for your RFW question, there are not many, but I caught 2081 with an RFW and got to film from Times Square to 34th Street. 

Ah yes! I just saw your video. Looks great!

No Station on 23rd street?

Some people I encountered today were wondering the same thing. If any extension were to happen, it would take a few decades before any extension is gonna be seen, let it be down near Abingdon Sq or to Secaucus of NJ.

I don't know if New York has a few more decades. If we want to stay competitive on the global stage if we want to keep business here things have start moving and getting done.   

Yes sir.

Ehh...there could be a possible extension that could happen soon, but the reason I say a few decades is because look at how long it took for the newest station in the system to open for business. Another reason is because some people in NJ rather fung the gateway project than the (7) extension and tbh not much is on 11th av except the piers, Javits/Hudson area, and the High line. Unless there are some other landmarks south of Hudson Yards I am forgetting.

(7) to New Jersey isn't that crazy of a idea honestly. The gateway would be the better deal though more overall capacity. (7) still has the limitations of  IRT equipment. im for it! 

I don't think any of us would ever see a NJ extension of the (7)<7>. I don't even think a NJ extension is necessary. I rather see the (7) get extended south in Chelsea to serve that area.

It's a pretty bad idea since New Jersey does not, and is probably not going to, fund the MTA through the various taxes and surcharges that taxpayers in New York from Dutchess to Queens to Suffolk pay. There's no reason why New Jersey should get more capital money than those three counties, even though they've paid their fair share for more than 50 years.

I've said this a few times before but wherever the next extension is pretty much dependant on who funds it first. If NY the (7) goes downtown, however if NJ funds, we get the first ever MTA subway train to NJ

I was able to take some time for myself and vidit the 34th St Hudson Yards station. This station is truly a one of a kind 21st Century marvel, got to ride the slow but eye catching icline elevators & the steep escalators which was a cool experience. Walking around the station I can say the wait was worth it for it to open. The station illustrates the future feel of the subway, especially when Second Ave opens. Hopefully it staty's as clean as it is but it is New York City and things can happen. I like the fact that trains can enter at a faster pace than the usually 10 mph hopefully I don't jinx it and they can leave the station quicker cause the crossovers aren't that sharp. The MTA did a good job with this station and I commend for it but I still carry the notion that the 10th Ave-41st St was a miss because of budget issues. The tunnels leaving the station also look a little wider than all or some of the original tunnels in the subways.  I just hope that they take a good hard look and quality control on the New South Ferry Station. This project to me out-ranks the Fulton Center project cause this extension was truly a need. 

I managed to take alot of pictures from top to bottom and also was able to find a R62A 1954 with RFW and did a full-trip to Main St. I'll try to find a R62A with the Manhattan-bound RFW to make another full-trip video from Main St to the new station this week.

You can check out the video below from 34th St Hudson Yards to Main St:

I've said this a few times before but wherever the next extension is pretty much dependant on who funds it first. If NY the (7) goes downtown, however if NJ funds, we get the first ever MTA subway train to NJ

I'm pretty sure that it would be against the law for the State of New Jersey to fund any (MTA) subway project, period. The only way any funds from New Jersey could be used in New York would have to be through the PANY&NJ. Last time I looked the PANY&NJ's trans-Hudson Line was called PATH, which the PA had to be forced to take over. The Port Authority bondholders(bankers) would laugh at any such proposal and the courts would rule in the bondholders favor without a doubt.That leaves the City of New York to fund any southward extension of the (7) 'cause the (MTA) doesn't have the money for the project because of SAS and ESA funding gaps. If I'm wrong about this someone correct me. Carry on.

I'm pretty sure that it would be against the law for the State of New Jersey to fund any (MTA) subway project, period. The only way any funds from New Jersey could be used in New York would have to be through the PANY&NJ. Last time I looked the PANY&NJ's trans-Hudson Line was called PATH, which the PA had to be forced to take over. The Port Authority bondholders(bankers) would laugh at any such proposal and the courts would rule in the bondholders favor without a doubt.That leaves the City of New York to fund any southward extension of the (7) 'cause the (MTA) doesn't have the money for the project because of SAS and ESA funding gaps. If I'm wrong about this someone correct me. Carry on.

I don't believe it would be against the law. It would be extremely unlikely to occur and I can't imagine NJ politicians agreeing to it given the current climate, but I'm not aware of any actual legal block for funding given it would benefit New Jersey, too. The ARC and Gateway tunnel plans--while not quite analogous and obviously subject to debate--were each funded in part by both NY when they provided no service improvements to the MTA, instead only helping New Jersey Transit (the comparable state agency) and Amtrak (federal). I don't think there's that much of a conflict of interested with the PATH as to make it illegal--just unlikely. The cities of Hoboken and Jersey City etc. would certainly benefit from a (7) extension and I could imagine a contribution of municipal funds if that were an option. 

I don't believe it would be against the law. It would be extremely unlikely to occur and I can't imagine NJ politicians agreeing to it given the current climate, but I'm not aware of any actual legal block for funding given it would benefit New Jersey, too. The ARC and Gateway tunnel plans--while not quite analogous and obviously subject to debate--were each funded in part by both NY when they provided no service improvements to the MTA, instead only helping New Jersey Transit (the comparable state agency) and Amtrak (federal). I don't think there's that much of a conflict of interested with the PATH as to make it illegal--just unlikely. The cities of Hoboken and Jersey City etc. would certainly benefit from a (7) extension and I could imagine a contribution of municipal funds if that were an option. 

AFAIK the only legal entity for Trans-Hudson transportation issues, beside the Federal government, is the Port Authority. That was part of the covenant between the states when the Authority was created.That's why the PA controls all of the bridges and tunnels between the states today. The deal with Amtrak, NJT, and the LIRR at Penn station is different because Amtrak, a federal creation, owns the station and tracks and the tunnels on both sides of Manhattan, while NJT and the (MTA) are tenants with no say-so at all.. PANY&NJ and Amtrak control transport between the states.from the Tappan Zee down, except for some ferries. Just to clarify things. Carry on.

I was able to take some time for myself and vidit the 34th St Hudson Yards station. This station is truly a one of a kind 21st Century marvel, got to ride the slow but eye catching icline elevators & the steep escalators which was a cool experience. Walking around the station I can say the wait was worth it for it to open. The station illustrates the future feel of the subway, especially when Second Ave opens. Hopefully it staty's as clean as it is but it is New York City and things can happen. I like the fact that trains can enter at a faster pace than the usually 10 mph hopefully I don't jinx it and they can leave the station quicker cause the crossovers aren't that sharp. The MTA did a good job with this station and I commend for it but I still carry the notion that the 10th Ave-41st St was a miss because of budget issues. The tunnels leaving the station also look a little wider than all or some of the original tunnels in the subways.  I just hope that they take a good hard look and quality control on the New South Ferry Station. This project to me out-ranks the Fulton Center project cause this extension was truly a need. 

I managed to take alot of pictures from top to bottom and also was able to find a R62A 1954 with RFW and did a full-trip to Main St. I'll try to find a R62A with the Manhattan-bound RFW to make another full-trip video from Main St to the new station this week.

You can check out the video below from 34th St Hudson Yards to Main St:

Saw it, excellent!!

I wonder how this is going to affect foot traffic going to and from the Javitz Center during events like Comic Con and the NY Auto Show. Do you think the majority will switch to the (7)<7> or still continue to walk from stations on the Broadway, 6, 7, & 8th Ave lines?

Also, do you think that M34 SBS patronage will decrease? (I remember last year people were trying to use the M34 instead of walking, but the bus wasn't frequent ,the line for the machine @ 11th ave was horrendous, the bus wouldn't wait for anyone and it was also stuck in traffic. People walking would beat the bus to and from 8th Ave.)

I don't think any of us would ever see a NJ extension of the (7)<7>. I don't even think a NJ extension is necessary. I rather see the (7) get extended south in Chelsea to serve that area.

Technically they can extend the (7)<7> to Chelsea Piers then across to NJ. They should also extend the (L) up to Lincoln Center or 72nd street & Broadway

How's does this suggestion help NewYork solve growing population and transit accessibility?  Namely Chelsea and the Meat Packing? You have a entirely new Neighborhood that estimated growth plus the growth over the last decade in neighborhoods to the south might warrant at least a environmental study for feasibility.        

If we wanted to solve growing population and transit accessibility, we'd put the money into extending it into working-class neighborhoods in the outer boroughs that have room to grow, not some developer's wet dream of a gentrifying artsy neighborhood. There is no reason why we should be shoveling billions of dollars into Manhattan transit when most of the growth is not occurring there; Hudson Yards may have stoked development, but to justify $2B in a 7 Line Extension, we had to shovel tax breaks at corporations to convince them to move to the middle of nowhere.  To put this in perspective, that is half of the cost of the SAS Phase I, which is brand new tunnel and stations for 30 blocks.

The US is a federation of states that were sovereign before the creation of this country. The federal government does not have the power to reorganize states, nor should it have such power.

The solution is NJ waking the f*** up and pulling their heads out of their asses, and actually raising their super-low gas tax to pay for their transportation projects. They have a subway in New Jersey and it's called PATH.

Archived