NJ Transit mulitilevel Discussions

Eric Kreszl

This is where I heard it

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2007/08/more_multilevel_rail_cars_arri.html

..............and six car sets run on the Metropark Exp Trains that terminate at Jersey Ave from time to time...and dont forget these are Multi-levels meaning that they have more capacity....so a six car multi-level set probaly has slightly less or just about the same amount of seats as an eight car set...and personally I've come to the conclusion that there are just some NEC trains that will always be packed....no matter how many cars you put on it

OHHH. Thanks for that. And I was just reading on Subchat and they talked about the 3rd set coming into service.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hello,

I'm wondering now if Compatability with the Diesel Consists are going to be an issue. The reason I'm saying this is because NJ Transit has been such a pain in reguards to assigning certain Diesel locomotives to certain trains. The issue with the PL42AC locomotives was that they were not compatable with the comet 5 cars which by the way I know is FALSE as I see PL42AC's with comet 5 cars ALL THE TIME. When the Bi-level test train ran down the NJCL it had a PL42AC at the end of it. You don't even see the orginal 12 GP40PH-2's 4100-4112 on the NJCL except once in a blue moon for who knows why.

So I wonder.

Eric

Well, word is and theres a picture of it around the net, that NJT has a P40 now (Genesis loco) for the New York to Atlantic City service. What I hear is it will be a 6 ML car consist with one ALP-46 at one end, and a P40 at the other.

And to explain the route quickly, the ALP-46 will be in the direction going to Philly, while the diesel loco will play dead for a while. Then at Philly, the ALP-46 will play dead while the P40 goes in the direction of Atlantic City. Then I guess they have to turn around locos somehow at AC then P40 in direction to Philly, ALP-46 in direction to NY.

I also heard that NJT is getting some more Genesis locos to try out for the run between Hoboken and secacuse junction for a test train. However I heard it from a freight train engineer in the area so he could be wrong.

I'm not sure that NJT would use a P42 locomotive?

Eric

I was on one recently. Very nice ride, enjoyable. I liked it. I wish i rode NJT more often than i did... but then again... i am only 15

Hey,

I'm 20 years old and I have rode NJ Transit A LOT and yet I have not rode a Multi-level car ONCE!!!!

Eric

Hello Everyone,

I was in Elizabeth NJ today and I got photos of my first Multi-level consist. NJ Transit ALP-46 #4623 was pulling at the front and ALP-46 #4618 was pusing at the end.

Photos and my opinion to come later,

Eric

You're talking about a moving consist right?

OHHH. Thanks for that. And I was just reading on Subchat and they talked about the 3rd set coming into service.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Well, word is and theres a picture of it around the net, that NJT has a P40 now (Genesis loco) for the New York to Atlantic City service. What I hear is it will be a 6 ML car consist with one ALP-46 at one end, and a P40 at the other.

And to explain the route quickly, the ALP-46 will be in the direction going to Philly, while the diesel loco will play dead for a while. Then at Philly, the ALP-46 will play dead while the P40 goes in the direction of Atlantic City. Then I guess they have to turn around locos somehow at AC then P40 in direction to Philly, ALP-46 in direction to NY.

Most likely the train will be able to be MU'ed so that the ALP-46 can be used as a control cab and have the P40DC locomotive push the train to pull the Consist in the other direction.

Eric

• 4 weeks later...

Archived