Question about Driver's License requirement for CI/RCI position......

98 Snake Eater

I currently have an out of State DL and plan on applying for either CI or RCI

According to the exam page, the DL requirement for the RCI position says "At the time of the appointment, you must have a motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York...."

Does this actually mean I would need a NY State DL or will my out of State DL suffice? (I mean, it is valid for use in all States)

Reason I ask is because the page goes on to say that "a NY Residency is NOT required for these positions" (which would actually be a requirement in order for me to get a NY State DL in the first place)  :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

car inspector job title doe not require a drivers license, Road car inspector title does

they can take people from the list and say "you will be an RCI", but I would avoid the job title if you can.

there are under 400 RCI's their a 24/7/365 title, you can literally have this title without getting a day job with weekends off for over 10-15 years

they do make top pay from the start, and make about $1.50 an hour more, but no overtime so you can possibly make more doing troubles in the barn with OT

car inspector job title doe not require a drivers license, Road car inspector title does

they can take people from the list and say "you will be an RCI", but I would avoid the job title if you can.

there are under 400 RCI's their a 24/7/365 title, you can literally have this title without getting a day job with weekends off for over 10-15 years

they do make top pay from the start, and make about $1.50 an hour more, but no overtime so you can possibly make more doing troubles in the barn with OT

10-15 Years in title to get weekends, holidays or am's sounds just like Stations and RTO.

• 1 year later...

Just curious, but if I were to go for RCI and decided later on to go back to CI, would I keep my current seniority or would I get bumped back down to the bottom of the list?

If you are hired straight out as an RCI, you can not go to the CI title.

It doesn't take 10-15 years to get off nights or weekends, 3,4 or 5 years sometimes will be enough

and they don't make $1.50 more than CI, they make $0.95 more an hour

If you are hired straight out as an RCI, you can not go to the CI title.

It doesn't take 10-15 years to get off nights or weekends, 3,4 or 5 years sometimes will be enough

and they don't make $1.50 more than CI, they make $0.95 more an hour

I'm already over a year in as a CI, but considering RCI for a couple of reasons:

1) Top pay right away (of course)

2) To get training on all other trains and to get a better understanding on how the system works to help aid in the possibility of a future supervisory position (currently working on R62's and know absolutely nothing about new tech trains)

Not sure if I can deal with whatever sh!t shifts I would most likely end up with, which is why I'm curious about my current seniority in the event that I decide to come back to CI

It all depends on if you're permanent or not. if you are permanent CI, you can go back to CI if something were to happen as RCI and you can't do RCI work anymore, it's hard to go back to CI but if you do, seniority is based on your permanent date. If you were never permanent as CI, then you can not go back to CI.

Archived