IZOD Center closing

mfs NJT459

NJ Sports and Exposition Authority voted 10-2 to close the IZOD Center at the Meadowlands next month, moving all future events to Prudential Center in Newark, sure it will benefit that and Newark Penn Station, but apparently the decision to close it was political and came from Christie, this will also benefit Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones  :angry:  <_<

http://www.ibtimes.com/chris-christie-jerry-jones-campaign-donor-benefit-izod-center-decision-1786230

IZOD Center has been a white elephant since the Devils and Nets moved. The arena will be kept dark for 2 years...but after that, it should just be torn down. Any acts that need to book an event in North Jersey can just book the Prudential Center. The market cannot support four huge arenas (noting that the Coliseum in Uniondale will be downsized).

I don't get where everyone's blaming Christie for this. Yes, Jones does benefit with more venues at the Prudential Center, but that's been the case since the Devils and the Nets left over five years ago. Currently, the Izod Center is an arena for venues who can't or won't use the Prudential Center. It can't make money off a few concerts and special events. It needs a steady stream of ticket revenue and without a major sports team bringing in the fans, that's not going to happen.

I don't get where everyone's blaming Christie for this. 

They still have it out for Christie for just existing. 

Thank God... That IZod center is an eyesore... They should've built the Prudential Center elsewhere outside of the wretched hellhole that is Newark, but it's too late now... They'll just have to pay tons of overtime to cops to police the place and keep the hooligans at bay.

Same could be said about the Yankees and the hooligan-land you call home...

The place would be crawling with cops no matter where they built it. Or have you not been to a sporting event in the past few years...

Same could be said about the Yankees and the hooligan-land you call home...

The place would be crawling with cops no matter where they built it. Or have you not been to a sporting event in the past few years...

Sorry, but I don't live in the South Bronx or anywhere near the South Bronx, so I have no idea what you're talking about. My neighborhood in NYC is one of the safest areas around with Fieldston being one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the city.  VERY low crime.  That's like saying that because someone lives in New Jersey that they automatically live in a ghetto because Newark happens to be a part of NJ. The South Bronx happens to be part of NYC, so I guess you and I both live in ghettos because we both live in NYC.  Don't be ridiculous.  The Yankees games are crawling with cops to protect all of the folks coming from Westchester, and parts of the city. The thugs know that and stay away, but they place the cops there just in case.

Sorry Via, but you still live in the Bronx. And the Bronx is not a nice place to live.

(If you're going to stereotype someone else's home, everyone else should get to do it to your home.)

LMAO... So then that means ALL of New Jersey is a sh*t hole because Newark is.... Really smart thinking... There are crappy neighborhoods in Queens too where you're from, and I am from Brooklyn, and I certainly didn't come from a sh*t neighborhood. All of the white folks et al in Riverdale (aka Triggerdale), we're all dodging bullets... Oh the terror. LOL! You should probably get out a little more before making such general ridiculous statements.  I talk about Newark (and can) because I've been there for classical concerts, hockey games and other events on numerous occasions.  You on the other hand have clearly never been to Riverdale to make such an asinine comment about one of the most affluent and safest neighborhoods in NYC.

I'm sure all of the Irish folks up in Woodlawn (a Bronx neighborhood that I visit regularly) are also fleeing in fear. <_<

Amd this, ladies and gentlemen, is how you get VG8 to admit that Riverdale is in the Bronx.

Case Closed!

lol I don't recall stating such a thing.  My point was that one bad neighborhood in NYC doesn't mean all of NYC is bad, just like Newark being a sh*thole doesn't mean all of NJ is the same. Newark is part of NJ, and Riverdale is part of NYC and both NYC and NJ have ghetto areas. In any event the IZod needs to go. Even the location stinks.

In terms of safety, the area around Barlays is the same as Prudential Center.

Prudential location is perfect, there no better spot in North Jeresy they could have put it IMO.

LOL... Are you serious with that?  I would be far more concerned walking around Newark than I would the area around Barclays.  If anything Newark has stalled in terms of making a come around, while the area around Barclays continues to improve.

In terms of safety, the area around Barlays is the same as Prudential Center.

Prudential location is perfect, there no better spot in North Jeresy they could have put it IMO.

I agree. That area of Newark only gets really bad once you touch Broad Street....other than that you're pretty much okay. There's nothing to really be afraid of in that direct area of the prudential center.

I think people might think the Prudential area isn't as nice as the Barclays area because you actually have to walk through the area to get to the trains, parking and whatnot. Barclays, you come off the train and walk into the arena, you don't see the areas around it. Not like they're even that bad or look bad.

I would feel fine going to the Prudential no matter how that area really is since there would probably be plenty of other people coming from Newark Penn and I'm sure they got a heavy police presence (and heavy crowd in general) along the way from Penn to the arena.

I think people might think the Prudential area isn't as nice as the Barclays area because you actually have to walk through the area to get to the trains, parking and whatnot. Barclays, you come off the train and walk into the arena, you don't see the areas around it. Not like they're even that bad or look bad.

I would feel fine going to the Prudential no matter how that area really is since there would probably be plenty of other people coming from Newark Penn and I'm sure they got a heavy police presence (and heavy crowd in general) along the way from Penn to the arena.

That's precisely the reason. I remember once getting out of Penn Station and thinking I knew the place, so I decided to walk, went the wrong way and was caught God knows where with people looking at me like what in the hell are you doing over here. Luckily there was a police officer around that I was able to get directions from. Also I remember on a few occasions having vagabonds beg me for money when leaving from a classical concert and walking back to Penn. I usually used the shuttle bus, but those can be hit or miss. The sketchy looking folks don't stay away during major events, and like to look for prey.

Anywho, apparently the IZod center will have to stay open longer, since they don't have the room to move all of the events to the Prudential Center, etc.

lol I don't recall stating such a thing.  My point was that one bad neighborhood in NYC doesn't mean all of NYC is bad, just like Newark being a sh*thole doesn't mean all of NJ is the same. Newark is part of NJ, and Riverdale is part of NYC and both NYC and NJ have ghetto areas. In any event the IZod needs to go. Even the location stinks.

Not all of Newark is a shithole. I am from Toronto and I know that have been to Newark like 5 times already.

Anywho, apparently the IZod center will have to stay open longer, since they don't have the room to move all of the events to the Prudential Center, etc.

There's also story I read that a nearby hotel might lose up to $250,000 from an upcoming WWE pay-per-view event that was scheduled to be there in August.

I also agree that not everyone's going to go to Prudential, especially those using public transportation. Barclays has the LIRR and the subways and buses that leave you right there. MSG has the LIRR/NJT/Amtrak, and subways and buses that also leave you right there. Even Izod has its shuttles from Secaucus and the PABT that leave you right there. Prudential has NJT and Amtrak trains that leave you 2-3 blocks away in a perceivably shady area.

There's also story I read that a nearby hotel might lose up to $250,000 from an upcoming WWE pay-per-view event that was scheduled to be there in August.

I also agree that not everyone's going to go to Prudential, especially those using public transportation. Barclays has the LIRR and the subways and buses that leave you right there. MSG has the LIRR/NJT/Amtrak, and subways and buses that also leave you right there. Even Izod has its shuttles from Secaucus and the PABT that leave you right there. Prudential has NJT and Amtrak trains that leave you 2-3 blocks away in a perceivably shady area.

I went there by car for a Devils' game, but my friend parked on the street, and I was looking at him like he was crazy parking his Mustang in what I felt was a very shady looking area.

Archived