SBS killing busineses on Fordham Rd

BklynBob

Damn we can't have ANYTHING good...

SBS wasn't really one of those things the Bronx needed. The fact that buses don't bunch as much as they used to causes people to wait forever for a local. New 40ft buses, <4> peak service, improved service are some better things than SBS that the Bx could use.

Half of those Fordham businesses were dying before SBS simply because none of them are really useful to the community. If there was a mall on Fordham then it would boost sales along the entire stretch of businesses. they are def. overexaggerating this a lot.

IMO, SBS is a good concept just not on Fordham. Maybe the concourse but I honestly only see this working in Queens, BK and SI. MTA cleared didn't think one thing out with Bx12 SBS. The local ends at Sedgwick, SBS doesn't stop at Sedgwick, local B/Os dont say you can't get the SBS at Sedgwick= people waiting for a bus thats never going to stop. They might want to put that stop back...

Thats so stupid if they sue and if they do they will not win. Don't blame +Select Bus Service+ for your business failing, blame yourself they are ones doing something wrong. If they want to attract customers doing something different and be creative to attract customers. Fordham Road have other buses running up and down there other than the Bx12. They for the Bx9, Bx22 and many others. Are kidding me? +Select Bus Service+ have been the best bus service for The Bronx and lots of ppl love it.

SBS wasn't really one of those things the Bronx needed. The fact that buses don't bunch as much as they used to causes people to wait forever for a local. New 40ft buses, <4> peak service, improved service are some better things than SBS that the Bx could use.

Half of those Fordham businesses were dying before SBS simply because none of them are really useful to the community. If there was a mall on Fordham then it would boost sales along the entire stretch of businesses. they are def. overexaggerating this a lot.

IMO, SBS is a good concept just not on Fordham. Maybe the concourse but I honestly only see this working in Queens, BK and SI. MTA cleared didn't think one thing out with Bx12 SBS. The local ends at Sedgwick, SBS doesn't stop at Sedgwick, local B/Os dont say you can't get the SBS at Sedgwick= people waiting for a bus thats never going to stop. They might want to put that stop back...

There's OTHER stops the Bx12 local and SBS meets up anyways. You say this like the local bus takes forever to come, bull. I take the Bx12 everyday and the local and SBS comes often. Very often. This is a great idea for the Bronx and it helped me get to the hospital much faster when it was an emergency, so I had to run a block back, it still did what it's supposed to do, improve service and make buses move faster. Local Bx12 doesn't take long to come.

There's OTHER stops the Bx12 local and SBS meets up anyways. You say this like the local bus takes forever to come, bull. I take the Bx12 everyday and the local and SBS comes often. Very often. This is a great idea for the Bronx and it helped me get to the hospital much faster when it was an emergency, so I had to run a block back, it still did what it's supposed to do, improve service and make buses move faster. Local Bx12 doesn't take long to come.

I understand that there are other stops where they meet up but people have a habit of either a) thinking the local goes to inwood or :D when they get kicked off the local at sedgwick that they can get the SBS to Inwood at Sedgwick.

Wednesday I was at Williamsbridge waiting for the local for a good 10-12 mins. Last week I stood at Jerome waiting for about 15 mins for a local w/b. Let me repharse that because I overexaggerated, after about 6-7pm the service tends to get a little irregular on the local. The only real problem with the old LTD was the fact that the dwell times were crazy high (which SBS fixed). I like it but IMO there were other routes that needed it more.

I wouldnt blame SBS at all, Im guessing the MAIN reason it was used to the Bx12 is becuz the all of fordam/Pelham parkway is almost like saying the Popular Shopping Street, as there are loads of shopping stores there. And people visit there all the time and that place is always Busy. Plus Orchard Beach during summers and Bay Plaza Mall is another thing...

What the DOT could do is load up some Parking Garages around the shopping zone of fordam, that way those business can just shut up and let the SBS do its job.

Plus to make the SBS more useful, how about extended it a little, oh lets say 168th street where the Bx7, M2, M18 Terminate at? Now that will bring in more Attractions

Ugh, those people have the nerve. +SBS+ is get people moving much faster between major points. Haven't people in New York City realize that driving is not the way to go in the city, except in necessary circumstances. What those businesses need to do is that +SBS+ get them to their business if theres a +SBS+ stop near by them.

I would love to know which businesses are suffering. Truth be told (and I believe I mentioned this in another SBS thread), the traffic issues on Fordham were deplorable prior to SBS (cars double parked at Bus stops even). Virtual gridlock at the intersection of Valentine Av. and other such stuff. You learned long ago that you parked elsewhere when shopping on Fordham.

Does anyone remember the metered parking area under the old El in front of Sears? Good times.

• 4 weeks later...

The area in which businesses are being killed by SBS is east of Fordham Plaza (between Bathgate and Cambreleng Avenues). Most of those businesses are car-oriented (like auto dealers and carpet stores), thus resulting in a loss of business.

I agree with Orion.

I have taken SBS about five-six times and it is excellent. I was on first day run on Bx12 with Straphangers Campaign, Subwaychat, or maybe NYCT Forum might saw me on that run and first bus to Orchard Beach was early, so one of forums say circle around before entering bus terminal.

Also, some folks still not use to Pay Before You Ride, especially people from Bronx Zoo.

People still doesn't realize after you got receipt, you need to enter bus from rear or front doors.

If person used wheelchair or walker, folks waiting to board wait at front door, not knowing about rear doors.

Also, they do not undestand SBS is like subway, does not wait for you if they don't have receipt.

To me, Bx12 SBS is very successful just like NJ Transit's GoBus25.

Archived