MTA moves to retire all Orion V & CNG buses immediately, Accelerate delivery & defer others

East New York

It's highly unlikely that the RTS will make a comeback in SI, but that was also said about ECH depot, and now it's all RTS again. With the Nova order now behind schedule, anything is possible. 

RTS and other model buses will go wherever Regional Bus Operations sends them.

Question... Does anyone know if these old buses that they're retiring if they will be sold to buyers who are interested, or toss them away?

I don't think they are selling any buses this time. The oldest Orions and the oldest RTS are beat, rusted, rotting frames and etc. I see tape on some Orion V's and the oldest RTS's seem to drip water a lot and causes the seats to get wet.

I don't think they are selling any buses this time. The oldest Orions and the oldest RTS are beat, rusted, rotting frames and etc. I see tape on some Orion V's and the oldest RTS's seem to drip water a lot and causes the seats to get wet.

They sold some 99 & 02 D60s which are just as beat up as the 6000s and remaining RTSs, I would imagine at least some of the 99 Novas might good enough to put up for sale..

Question... Does anyone know if these old buses that they're retiring if they will be sold to buyers who are interested, or toss them away? 

They will if someone approaches them about it, like how these D60s got auctioned off and some of the older C40LFs got sold off.

In this point in time the 1996/1997 RTS 8750-9349 are pretty much on the same boat as the remaining Orion V's. They are deteriorating ever day and honestly now that Jamaica has idk how many now I can't wait for them to go. They have problems with the wheelchair lift they are also dripping water, buses have this jerking movement but I guess it is far better than having nothing. That is why these old RTS's are in Queens with LGA and Jamaica having the most. It seems like Jamaica and LGA can keep these RTS's in working condition until they are replaced.

So any sign of the Novabus's. Is that order delayed?

RTS and other model buses will go wherever Regional Bus Operations sends them.

Well isn't that stating the obvious? Maybe even a waste of thread space.... Just my opinion...

In this point in time the 1996/1997 RTS 8750-9349 are pretty much on the same boat as the remaining Orion V's. They are deteriorating ever day and honestly now that Jamaica has idk how many now I can't wait for them to go. They have problems with the wheelchair lift they are also dripping water, buses have this jerking movement but I guess it is far better than having nothing. That is why these old RTS's are in Queens with LGA and Jamaica having the most. It seems like Jamaica and LGA can keep these RTS's in working condition until they are replaced.

So any sign of the Novabus's. Is that order delayed?

The older RTS buses are nowhere near in the same shape as the Orions. The RTS is Stainless steel and does not have rotting issues. The frames are also just as solid as they were when the buses were built. Some do however have issues with bulkhead cracks (aluminum) and run down suspensions. And technically as a whole, the older RTS buses have better suspensions than some of the newer Nova's Aside of that and the occasional lift problem the only other issues are the fact that the engines have a million plus miles on them. 

As far as the water leaking, that's from the HVAC system which happens from time to time on buses of that age.

Archived