FDNY drops physical test requirement amid low female hiring rate

BreeddekalbL

Should have posted this a month or two ago. Read and debate 

The FDNY has stopped requiring probationary firefighters to pass a physical test before getting hired amid a low female hiring rate, according to a new report.

The Post is reporting that the move allows them to fail components of the Functional Skills Training test but still graduate from the Fire Academy.

Many are criticizing the move, saying it’s a lowering of the standards across the board.

The adjustments to the exam were revealed at a City Council hearing Wednesday where members questioned whether the skills test was responsible for the fact that there are only 44 women on the 10,500-member force.

The drills include advancing a heavy tire 6 to 8 feet, raising a ladder up a wall and breaching holes in a ceiling — while wearing an oxygen tank with a limited amount of air.

Officials say 95 percent of men pass the FDNY’s demanding physical test, while only 57 percent of women manage to get through.

http://pix11.com/2014/12/11/fdny-drops-physical-test-requirement-amid-low-female-hiring-rate-report/

http://nypost.com/2014/12/11/fdny-drops-physical-test-requirement-amid-low-female-hiring-rate/

Read and debate your thoughts. My opinion is they should keep cause that's how it's been and how is a small woman gonna carry a big man who jumps through the window, would my old school thinking get me in trouble with the militant feminists?

THANK YOU! im glad some one agrees that safety sensitive positions like this  should not have a lower standard just to get more women. i hope that militant feminist councilwoman who proposed this gets haunted by this and gets confronted by firemen at a council meeting ala back draft 

THANK YOU! im glad some one agrees that safety sensitive positions like this should not have a lower standard just to get more women. i hope that militant feminist councilwoman who proposed this gets haunted by this and gets confronted by firemen at a council meeting ala back draft

The only thing that will bring this issue to light is a disaster of epic proportions all because this militant feminist as you put it wants women to be "equal". Being a firefighter is no joke at all. There is a reason the standards are as high as they are

god forbid if that movement gets into the NYPD where they have to lower standards i wonder if Bratton would give in to it?

Well on that end, they already have. It used to be you needed a college education to be a police officer, now anyone can be a cop and that's what's leading to all these arrests in which some resulting in violation of civil rights. Just a bunch of guys shooting guns

Well on that end, they already have. It used to be you needed a college education to be a police officer, now anyone can be a cop and that's what's leading to all these arrests in which some resulting in violation of civil rights. Just a bunch of guys shooting guns

You might want to check your info. Until 6 or 7 years ago, there was no college requirement. That can in when they lowered the starting pay to $25,000.

You might want to check your info. Until 6 or 7 years ago, there was no college requirement. That can in when they lowered the starting pay to $25,000.

Well, off a few years, lol, but you do know about the "standards"

Case in point: Aunt went to Syracuse University, went to NYPD, retired after 20 years or so, another cousin attended Stony Brook, still on the force, went through 9-11. Have countless family members (older) that got the diploma before becoming an officer

THANK YOU! im glad some one agrees that safety sensitive positions like this  should not have a lower standard just to get more women. i hope that militant feminist councilwoman who proposed this gets haunted by this and gets confronted by firemen at a council meeting ala back draft 

All these sexism and racism issues are pretty much alike. Substitute women for minorities. Standards should not be lowered to achieve a "politically correct" result.

The political correctness is getting out of control. Is it going to take a fire at the same activist/politician's home for them to realize this might backfire in the worst way possible? In the case of a real fire, there's no time for a weak person to choose who they can carry nor would there be smaller equipment set aside so they can carry a proportionally smaller tank of air. It's a matter of life and death yet people still want to play politics/political correctness because they don't want to feel discriminated. smh.

As for the police, the standards have been lowered for sometime now letting people that are short or too small to be able to handle a 6' tall 200-300lb suspect without needing to have to take their gun out. 

• 1 month later...

Archived