Your R110B moment

46Dover

I remember in my younger years when I first saw the R110B on the Fulton St Express (A) going to Lefferts Blvd (it said such on the front under the (A) lol) thinking what it would be like to ride it one time

A few years later, when I permanently moved to Brooklyn I was at Penn Station intending to go back home (the train was about to come in) when suddenly the R110B comes flying in on the Uptown side. Needless to say, my plans changed.

What was your first R110B (or A for that matter) moment?

Can't say I remember a specific first R110B ride- I caught it by accident quite a number of times when it was on the A. Once it was transferred to the C, I only managed to catch it once, and by then you could really tell it was no longer new. The interior lights were almost orange by then. 

Only caught the R110A once, despite trying many times. A really nice train with perhaps the shittiest reliability since the R16s. 

The R110B was still active into 2000. 

Rode the 110B once with my mother when I was younger on the (C) back when I used to live over on Ralph

I also rode it on the (C) too after they cut it to ) cars and gutted out the bells and whistles. I think they even still had the (A) strip map up too

I never saw what the side signs of an R110A were like when it showed destinations, and the YouTube videos I saw didn't really help. Other than that, the videos I seen make the R110s look like an interesting ride.

If I had to guess, they're something along the lines of the LCDs found on the 46s without the large route letter. I could be wrong, so don't quote me on that.

They were pretty much like the ones on the 142's. The pixels were those large “geodesic“ style triangles or rhombi, and not little square dots like the 46's. There was a slight variation on one set where the letters were more rounded.

Please guys, tell me how it was like to ride a R110A or R110B. I never ever rode any of them nor saw it in-person. I only saw them on youtube.

It wasn't that much different than the brand new 188s from what I remember, 110As had a cooler interior though.

The first couple of times I rode the brand new 188 sets it kinda reminds of riding the 110A. I love new IRT cars, its always more exciting than riding new B div cars, I can't even remember the first time I rode an 143 and I lived along the (L) line as they was coming in, I do remember always wanted an 143 to show up vs an R42 though even though I liked the 42s as well.

When I was little back in 1998, I was waiting with my foster mother and sibling at Kingston-Throop for the (C). On the express track, heading towards manhattan, was this really shiny train that I've never seen before. Back then I didn't know the names of the various rolling stock, but I knew enough to tell the difference between similar looking cars. (That's why the R36 WF cars on the (6) intrigued me so much.) I asked my foster mother what train that was and she said she didn't know. I wish I could have ridden them though. I finally got my answer in 2006 when I discovered nycsubway.org.

• 2 weeks later...

To this day, the two most memorable subway rides I've had were both through the Rockaways (Perhaps the most scenic ride in the system):

One, aboard a Westbound R-44 (A) watching a waterspout ("finger of God!") just off Atlantic Beach during Gloria, and the other riding one of, if not, the first Westbound revenue runs of the R-110 (B, I assume) out of Mott Ave. Fear and awe, in that order.

The R110B's are just sitting there in 207 Street Yard.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the R110A Pump cars are more hotter then the r110B's. The should convert the R110B to a work train.

The R110B's are just sitting there in 207 Street Yard.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the R110A Pump cars are more hotter then the r110B's. The should convert the R110B to a work train.

They chose the 110As because IRT cars can fit anywhere in the system with no problems

Archived