Moving from New York to New Jersey

46Dover

Well, its quieter and more low key than NYC, If I was rich I'd probably live in a Luxury Apartment in either Hoboken or Fort Lee, in addition to having a house in a quieter rural area up in Rockland/Orange county somewhere.

Other than the quieter/low key thing, NJ has no appeal over NYC IMO, has the same high rents, etc. 

A question for the forum. If you live in New York City, would you consider moving to New Jersey and why?

I was seriously contemplating moving to New Jersey (lower Bergen County) as my previous job was there. However, due to personal/family reasons, I remained on Staten Island.

Aside from that, I have no interest of living in New Jersey, here are the two things I consider:

- Pizza tastes better here.

- Property taxes in NJ are through the roof, the new construction condominium I was looking at in Bayonne Hudson County (~260k) had property taxes of $8000+/year (not including maintenance, association fees). 

Transportation, despite not having a car and my location, express buses and one weekday local bus are within a ten minute walk and I have no problem walking a mile the ETC for a local bus or the SIR.  I made it work. If I get hired by the MTA this year, I will probably purchase a car depending on which depot I can pick into. 

Archived