Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
ConcourseExp

Bx46

It'd be a hell of a lot more efficient than running the Bx46 every 30 mins. throughout the day along its current route on weekends, that's for sure!

But yeah, just have the aforementioned amt. of Bx6's on weekends turn off Halleck at Viele to get to Tiffany, instead of looping around food ctr. drive... The distance b/w Viele/Halleck & Viele/Tiffany is about 1/2 the distance b/w Viele/Halleck & the current Bx6 terminal (the produce stop)... In other words, current Bx6's would be at/around farragut st (the fish market stop) by time the Baretto bound Bx6's would have gotten to the park already.....

Don't know if you've ever been on the Bx6 down in Hunts pt., but it seems to take forever just getting in & out of Hunts pt (the neighborhood).... The time it spends looping around food center drive alone does not help - even though the vast majority of pax. in Hunts pt. start piling on the second it turns off Spofford (along Hunts Pt.).... I don't even have to mention the crowds waiting for buses at Hunts Pt. (6)... Lol.....

I have...when I worked at Krasdale in '06. Yeah when I would get an O5 on that thing and it made a left on Food Center as opposed to staying on Halleck to Ryawa...I think ridership tanks when turns off HPA to Spofford

Isn't the Bx6 empty in the Hunts Point food area any way? Just from the area the Bx46 runs in there is really no potential growth. That route is probably dead empty in winter when it's cold so pretty much the only source of ridership is in the summer time and or if someone had just missed the Bx6 in the food center.

The Bx6 snatches up the vast majority of the riders in the immediate area (food center workers), so no, Bx6's aren't (close to being) empty out there....

Bx46 has no potential growth.... South of southern, it runs along light-industrial Hunts Pt. (Tiffany) & heavily industrial Hunts Pt. (Food Ctr.) - That's not a good combination for a route this short (none of these other dinky routes have that problem).... Worse, the route does much of nothing for those living in Hunts Point....

See, if the focus wasn't on replacing the POOL shuttle, the Bx46 would be MUCH better off serving Hunts Pt (the neighborhood) by going Longwood > Spofford > Halleck > old Bx6 pattern around Food Ctr. Dr. (meaning, running clockwise down there, to "end" at Ryawa/Halleck).... This would get Hunts Pt. residents to the (6) (and the Bx19, if they need that) quicker than the Bx6..... Because the Bx6 along Hunts Pt. av picks up basically at every stop (heading WB); I'm not talkin 1-2 pax either.....

But once you have buses going Tiffany > Viele, forget it.... Aside from how freakin dead that immediate area is, that takes away any advantage the Bx46 might have over the Bx6 getting out of hunts point neighborhood relatively quicker - and this is with far emptier buses than an average Bx6 trip before that even hits southern blvd/ the (6) station.....

It's dead on the weekends

Yup, for the most part....

It's dead pretty much everyday. Weekdays there are a few dozen a day I see catching the Bx6 while I wait for the Bx46, but that's about it.

Definitely more than a few dozen folks a day utilizing the Bx6 directly to/from the Food Center area on weekdays....

I have...when I worked at Krasdale in '06. Yeah when I would get an O5 on that thing and it made a left on Food Center as opposed to staying on Halleck to Ryawa...I think ridership tanks when turns off HPA to Spofford

Good, so you're more than familiar with what I'm talking about then....

As far as the last point, Lol... we're referring to the same thing:

B35 via Church: Manhattan bound buses start noticably picking up at the Spofford/Hunts Pt. stop...

Q43LTD: Food Ctr. Dr. bound buses start emptying out when buses turn off Hunts Pt....

The point to be made either way is that, the bulk of the ridership within Hunts point (neighborhood) is between Southern & Spofford.... 

Its been quite some time since I've posted on here, but the Bx46 topic makes me kinda nostalgic . When I was a kid and would come up with fictitious bronx routes and one of them looked pretty much like the bx46. And as a kid I didnt think the route would be practical. But since it is here I think i does have potential.  I believe if the 46 was extended via 156th Street towards Yankee Stadium the route's ridership would benefit from new residential developments along 156th and St. Anns while adding that much needed additional service along 161. you could even extend to Gateway Mall. 

Its been quite some time since I've posted on here, but the Bx46 topic makes me kinda nostalgic . When I was a kid and would come up with fictitious bronx routes and one of them looked pretty much like the bx46. And as a kid I didnt think the route would be practical. But since it is here I think i does have potential.  I believe if the 46 was extended via 156th Street towards Yankee Stadium the route's ridership would benefit from new residential developments along 156th and St. Anns while adding that much needed additional service along 161. you could even extend to Gateway Mall. 

Good luck getting the (MTA) to extend that bus along 161st.  I think it should be extended to Yankee Stadium at the very least to bring relief to the Bx6 bus.

Good luck getting the (MTA) to extend that bus along 161st.  I think it should be extended to Yankee Stadium at the very least to bring relief to the Bx6 bus.

The Bx13 already does that.

The Bx13 already does that.

Yes, but only during rush hour, not outside of it, and the Bx6 could use the help during weekends and off-peak as the buses are crush loaded and bunch a lot.

Does the Bx46 have enough riders to warrant an extension?

The route garnered 563 riders last year... You be the judge.

Does the Bx46 have enough riders to warrant an extension?

I would extend it to give the Bx6 help.  

The Bx6 needs help too. If ridership increases, more service on that line isn't given cut it. Even at the Bx46's current headway, you will get decent loads on that line (Bx46), because those buses (Bx6) get packed. I've only taken the line once, but the statistics and my observance doesn't lie; that line is heavily used.

The B32 does better, even though it runs a shorter span than the Bx46. The B84 is also close (this is based on annual and weekday figures). The B84 does better on the weekend than the Bx46, and look at how short its span is compared to the Bx46. To me, it's like a misuse in money on giving these service their respective spans.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

The Bx6 needs help too. If ridership increases, more service on that line isn't given cut it. Even at the Bx46's current headway, you will get decent loads on that line, because those buses get packed. I've only taken the line once, but the statistics and my observance doesn't lie; that line is heavily used.

The B32 does better, even though it runs a shorter span than the Bx46. 

The crowding on the Bx6 is becoming ridiculous.  I used it last Sunday to and from the BxM4 as I didn't want to walk the short distance to my tutoring session with the heat, and both ways I was literally standing in front of the white line.  Just packed beyond belief.  They could stand to add more service even with the service bump up they gave the line.

A new SBS route will one day help the Bx6, running on E 161st St, E 163rd St and Story Ave.

The Bx46 had at least one trip with standees coming from Hunts Point getting off at Longwood Avenue (6) on a weekday.

Edited by GreatOne2k

Slightly off topic, but the Bx55 originally ran along 161st street as well correct? What ever happened to that? It was discontinued way before the Bx55 was discontinued itself.

At this point, I'd wash my hands with the Bx46 & boost Bx6 service, instead of leaving Bx6 service the same & extending the Bx46 to help the Bx6.... The Bx46 is a lost cause.....

I feel the same way about the B84..... The B32 ridership gains are coming from stolen riders from off the B62.... The vast majority of PM hour Brooklyn bound riders ride no further than Greenpoint (the neighborhood... but the street also applies, co-incidentally)....

At this point, I'd wash my hands with the Bx46 & boost Bx6 service, instead of leaving Bx6 service the same & extending the Bx46 to help the Bx6.... The Bx46 is a lost cause.....

I feel the same way about the B84..... The B32 ridership gains are coming from stolen riders from off the B62.... The vast majority of PM hour Brooklyn bound riders ride no further than Greenpoint (the neighborhood... but the street also applies, co-incidentally)....

The thing is though service is already frequent enough.  I'm not sure how much service they can run.  There's a bus scheduled every 3-4 minutes for good portions of the day, and 6-7 minutes at other times.  This is why I think artics would be good.  Just too much overcrowding for a line with those sorts of frequencies.

I wonder could the same be said about the M12? 

When the 7 train station is completed, we might be thinking otherwise.

Yes, but only during rush hour, not outside of it, and the Bx6 could use the help during weekends and off-peak as the buses are crush loaded and bunch a lot.

I actually agree with both of you on this one... A friend of mine lives in Hunts point so I decided to check out the 46. However, I think the routing through HP is ok because it gives access to an undeserved area, yet nobody uses it.

Now lets say they did extend the route to supplement the 6, which it is interlined with for some runs if I recall correctly. Where the hell would, or should they extend it to???

I wonder could the same be said about the M12? 

The 12 will slowly increase, yet I think it will be one of those routes that just has low ridership like the M8. However, as Acella Express said... We will have to revisit this topic when the (7) extension come online.

I actually agree with both of you on this one... A friend of mine lives in Hunts point so I decided to check out the 46. However, I think the routing through HP is ok because it gives access to an undeserved area, yet nobody uses it.

Now lets say they did extend the route to supplement the 6, which it is interlined with for some runs if I recall correctly. Where the hell would, or should they extend it to???

Most likely to Yankees Stadium. It could also possibly go to Riverside Dr like the Bx6, but Service in Manhattan shouldn't be THAT busy.

Now lets say they did extend the route to supplement the 6, which it is interlined with for some runs if I recall correctly.
Where the hell would, or should they extend it to???

Either to 157th (1) or Yankee Stadium....

In other words, have it supplement (most of) only the Bronx crowd, or have it supplement (most of) the Bx6 overall usage (meaning, the manhattan & the bronx usage)......

Most likely to Yankees Stadium. It could also possibly go to Riverside Dr like the Bx6, but Service in Manhattan shouldn't be THAT busy.

The Bx46 runs every half hour; 2 extra BPH IMO doesn't quantify as overkill for the ridership the Bx6 gets in Manhattan.....

To me, that's basically what's being implicated with this....

I would concur with the point if the Bx46 ran every 10 minutes or something.....

The Bx46 runs every half hour; 2 extra BPH IMO doesn't quantify as overkill for the ridership the Bx6 gets in Manhattan.....

To me, that's basically what's being implicated with this....

I would concur with the point if the Bx46 ran every 10 minutes or something.....

I guess you're right. Still, I'd say start it off at Yankees Stadium before extending it to Manhattan.

I guess you're right. Still, I'd say start it off at Yankees Stadium before extending it to Manhattan.

Cool, but I'm not debating either/or.... I'm the guy that's saying we may as well get rid of the route.