Five dead after NYC-bound Amtrak train derails in Philadelphia

BreeddekalbL

All of these posts and that pic are making me believe that some dumbass kids who were throwing bricks at the trains played a role in this whole thing. The smashed window is the one that has the engine's controls behind it. Here are my theories....

• Some dumbass kids with nothing better to do (conquestors Philly division, maybe) probably threw a brick at 601 while it was passing through since there was an object thrown at a SEPTA train approximately 3 minutes earlier, it hit the engineer side windshield, the engineer probably thought that he was being shot at (this is North Philly we're talking about), ducked down for cover, and maybe right as he peeped up, saw that the train was going 107 mph right as it hit the curve.
  • According to Railraod.net forums, I stalk those forums every once in a while, been meaning to create an account so I can post there too, the Sprinters have been having some teething issues as of late. Maybe the brakes gave out or something else went wrong and the engineer probably tried to apply them, but couldn't.
Not jumping to conclusions because we still don't know how this really played out, but I'm just dropping in my theory of what happened here. I know speed was a factor, but it doesn't seem like this was an act of carelessness.

Giving what it has been said, if its proven that it was kids,or senseless teens throwing bricks could it be that the train operator got distracted with the damage to the windshield that he couldnt react in time to slow the train down?

How would they be able to prove for sure if the engineer was incapacitated or not? I believe on these types of trains you don't have to keep your hand on the "throttle" (I'm not totally sure what it's called) like on the NYC subways for instance. I think on most commuter trains there's an alerter that goes off every x number of seconds. There were cameras facing outwards installed on the locomotive, but were there cameras facing the engineer?

If the train had been hit by bricks or other projectiles, it would have been captured by the forward-facing camera, and likely would have been reported over the radio. The fact that the NTSB didn't report anything about projectiles and engineer has not said anything about any projectiles makes it seem unlikely to me that that was the case. That could change, but for now it seems like a bad coincidence. 

PTC(ACSES) is in effect from New Haven to Boston.. Anyone know what other area's have the technology implemented along the NEC?

According to the Amtrak PDF I posted earlier from Feb of this year:

"Currently, ACSES is operational on 400 miles of track. These service lines include the New England Line from Boston, to New Haven, Connecticut; the New York Line from New Brunswick to Trenton, New Jersey; and the Mid-Atlantic Line from Perryville, Maryland to Wilmington."

Page 15, link to the PDF on page 2 of this thread.

If the train had been hit by bricks or other projectiles, it would have been captured by the forward-facing camera, and likely would have been reported over the radio. The fact that the NTSB didn't report anything about projectiles and engineer has not said anything about any projectiles makes it seem unlikely to me that that was the case. That could change, but for now it seems like a bad coincidence.

I'm not sure the forward facing camera would easily capture a brick, in the dark, hurtling at a speeding train.

Perhaps, as the brick throwing would be a heck of a crime, they're keeping it mum while they investigate. Who knows.

I'm not sure the forward facing camera would easily capture a brick, in the dark, hurtling at a speeding train.

Perhaps, as the brick throwing would be a heck of a crime, they're keeping it mum while they investigate. Who knows.

It certainly would have captured a heavy impact on the glass. I really can't imagine they would keep something like that quiet, rather than starting a manhunt for whoever did it. It just doesn't make any sense

Giving what it has been said, if its proven that it was kids,or senseless teens throwing bricks could it be that the train operator got distracted with the damage to the windshield that he couldnt react in time to slow the train down?

The real question is why was he going over 100 in the first place...????I heard the limit was 70 anyway

The speed limit is 60 through N Phil station, then increases to 80 except for the 65 mph curve at MP 84. Then back up to 80 except for the 50 mph east of Shore Interlocking (to the left) and the 60 mph curve to the right (Frankford Junction Station.) Speed limit goes up to 110 as far as the Mid-Atlantic Metropolitan Divisions boundary.

It's starting to look like the DA in Pennsylvania might seek charges, he did an interview where he basically said that prosecuting the engineer hasn't been ruled out...

Meanwhile here in NY, the Bronx DA today said the Metro-North engineer in the Spuyten Duyvil derailment will not be charged due to his medical condition.

It's starting to look like the DA in Pennsylvania might seek charges, he did an interview where he basically said that prosecuting the engineer hasn't been ruled out...

Meanwhile here in NY, the Bronx DA today said the Metro-North engineer in the Spuyten Duyvil derailment will not be charged due to his medical condition.

i know the possible crime happened in philly wouldn't this be a federal case since the possible crime happened on the federal railroad?

i know the possible crime happened in philly wouldn't this be a federal case since the possible crime happened on the federal railroad?

Lets compare this briefly to the Metro North SD incident.  It was just announced that charges will not be filed from the Bronx DA.  Being Metro North is also a federal railroad, the same could be done with the Amtrak incident.

Lets compare this briefly to the Metro North SD incident. It was just announced that charges will not be filed from the Bronx DA. Being Metro North is also a federal railroad, the same could be done with the Amtrak incident.

I wonder if they would be more likely to go the federal route in the Amtrak case since the Amtrak train crossed state lines, and if they want to show some form of negligence across the whole trip, the federal prosecutor may have an easier time cutting through red tape.

Metro North is NOT a federal railroad. It's a state railroad. The federal government doesn't operate it. Amtrak gets its authority to operate from a presidential nominated board of directors. Also federal legislation created Amtrak, not Metro North.

BREAKING: "NTSB asks FBI to join investigation into Amtrak 188 derailment; Conductor reports overhearing a conversation over the radio before accident in which engineer said he was struck, possibly by rock or worse." PER CBS NEW YORK facebook page. so my theory was right about the windows and the trains hit by bricks near by could connect

Archived