Let's see what the MTA could do Better at.

Abba

As we all know the MTA has problems communicating with the public about service problems.Many times the service advisories are not written right, have the wrong details and so on and so forth.In this thread we will post advisories and fix up what we think might be wrong.Ill start.

Service Change Posted: 05/13/2015 2:06PM

Due to signal problems at 86 St, the following service changes are in effect:

Southbound (2) ,(4) and (5) trains are running with delays.

Some southbound (5) trains are running on the (2) line from 149 St-Grand Concourse to Nevins St.

Allow additional travel time.

If the (2) is delayed then the (3) must be also since it shares the same track.

No it would affect the 3 in some way as well becuase it would mean extra trains on 7th ave.The (1) would be fine since probably none of those trains would use that track.

No. The reason the (2) is affected and not the (3) because of the congestion and holding trains in the stations in The Bronx. Unless this was Rush Hour than you can say it will affect (3) train service. I've been in this situation before, it's not that bad at all than you think it is.

Those delays would still be minimal though as it is SOME not ALL (5) trains. Since the west side express does not utilize the express pair of tracks to full capacity, even at rush hour, there is room for some extra trains to fit without much delay.

You do realize that holding express trains at the last express stop until all signals clear would severely delay service, right? You'd be running an absolute block system in all but name.

Here’s something the MTA could do better:

1. Communicate: I rely on my gut feeling often to figure out what to do, but only communicating information properly can help passengers make the best choices. If I see that the uptown platform at Canal Street is nearly empty (relative to the normal density of boarding passengers for the time of day), and I see the tail end of the (N) or (Q) train, I’m going to assume both trains have recently left and that the next train will show up headway−2 minutes later; I’m going to walk over to the (R) or go back upstairs to the (6). Maybe the trains that just left were late and the following trains were arriving soon, but I wouldn’t know.
  2. Stop sending the (B) out of Brighton Beach right before the (Q) arrives: I don’t mind the transfer across the platform, but if the MTA has the common sense to make express routes extend beyond the local routes elsewhere, it should strive to emulate this behavior on the Brighton Line. The current behavior is akin to sending the (C) to Far Rockaway and Ozone Park instead of the (A), or sending the (M) and (R) to Jamaica while cutting the (E) and (F) back to Forest Hills; passengers who already have to travel further to reach the central business district are now further handicapped by having to take the local.
  3. Stop sending the (Q) along to Coney Island at Sheepshead Bay right before the (B) arrives: (see above)
  4. Stop deliberately causing delays: Often, the MTA deliberately holds trains when there’s no good reason to. The Manhattan-bound (N), for example, is almost always held at 59 Street for minutes at a time during the middle of weekdays. It’s a recent change, and the (N) always got along fine without this delay before. It seems to be done even when there’s construction just up ahead (adding to the delays) and even when it would cause conflicts with the (D). In fact, when the (N) and (Q) leave Coney Island at the same time, the (N) is supposed to get to DeKalb Avenue first, avoiding conflict, but this does not hold true when the (N) is held at 59 Street. The (N) will often run into both the (D) and the (Q)!

Every line needs rescheduling IMHO (despite the bottlenecks, especially Rogers Junction and the Homeball Alley), but that's entirely up to the (MTA) to decide whether they want to do it or not.

I've heard that scheduling is studied like a science within the MTA. Any schedule changes will probably require a lot of data and work for the best results.

I've heard that scheduling is studied like a science within the MTA. Any schedule changes will probably require a lot of data and work for the best results.

Because of line merges, literally - with the exception of the 1,6, 7, L, and the shuttles - I don't think you can change the schedule on one line without it affecting the entire rest of the division. Everything else shares trackage somewhere with something that will ultimately touch everything else. 

itmaybeeasier if the schedules resolve conflicts in a methodical way. For example, prioritize one route over another so that if two trains from those routes meet, there’s no question which ones go first and the end result becomes more predictable. Usually, the lower-priority routes are also the ones with longer headways, so the terminals can absorb the delays.

itmaybeeasier if the schedules resolve conflicts in a methodical way. For example, prioritize one route over another so that if two trains from those routes meet, there’s no question which ones go first and the end result becomes more predictable. Usually, the lower-priority routes are also the ones with longer headways, so the terminals can absorb the delays.

That causes other problems. If the northbound (E) always gets priority over the (C) at Canal St, then that can cause delays for the (A), etc

Scheduling is uneven along the Eastern parkway line so to schedule trains to leave same time at Franklin and Nevins is always off since the (4) runs like every 4 mins during rush n the (2)(3) runs every 6 so theres times that im on a (3) and the (4) arrives same time and the (4) or (5) is across the platform and at nevins we are often held for an arrving train but if all trains was to arrive 5 minute headways during rush hours it would be different something like a mix bag since i get to nevins and either see a uptown (4) or (5) depending on the train i take

What I would like to see are schedules listed in stop format rather than line format. Or better yet why not both. It is much more intuitive to click a stop like Grand Central (4)(5)(6) and show all the scheduled service listed by hour of the day. For example a rider could click on the stop he/she wants from a dropdown list and click on a specific hour and then all of the service on a particular line within that hour will be listed with a separate express/local indicator if said stop is an express stop. On lines where service has trouble meeting the schedule a headway can be presented in lieu of arrival times. This way a rider is aware of all of the service available at his/her stop and can plan better commutes around that. 

That causes other problems. If the northbound (E) always gets priority over the (C) at Canal St, then that can cause delays for the (A), etc

Then we’ll localize the priorities to the stations instead of applying priority rules system-wide. At Canal Street, if an uptown (C) and (E) show up at the same time, the (C) always goes first. If a downtown (C) and (A) shows up, the (C) always goes first. At 50 Street, if a downtown (C) and (E) show up at the same time, the (E) goes first since (E) trains are likely to become backed up if one gets held.

• 2 months later...

Archived