4800 in Dunellen

aemoreira81

Nice catch!

I guess they will be heading out of nwk on the :rvl: till ACE service is implemented. Any word on what locos will be used to move them in & out of nyp?

Is that a Genesis, like Metro North uses?

No, not dual mode. They got them from amtrak & are straight diesel.

NJT could have just gone with a full black instead of a split.

The paint is that way to make em stand out i think. :D

- A

Nice catch!

I guess they will be heading out of nwk on the :rvl: till ACE service is implemented. Any word on what locos will be used to move them in & out of nyp?

No, not dual mode. They got them from amtrak & are straight diesel.

The paint is that way to make em stand out i think. :D

- A

Ahh ok. thanks:D

No prob! :D

They bought them in 2007 but have not been put into service till recently. I can't wait to see one at NWK or NYP. They were chosen specifically because they are 100% compatible with the clearances of the tunnels associated with operating from new york.

I am very curious though to see how they chose to move them between sunnyside and kerney. I think the likely scenario involves an alp-44 at the back, and they could do that without needing to unhook it, but they could do that anyways. Might make sense to save fuel & have the toaster push it to philly.

- A

Is that a Genesis, like Metro North uses?

Almost. All 3 Genesis lines share the same body, but there are differences:

P32AC-DM: These can run off diesel powerplants or third rail, and was ordered by Amtrak (7xx) and Metro-North (2xx) only. Amtrak units are primarily on the Empire Service.

P40DC and P42DC: These look the same, but the P40DC is from the early 1990s, and the P42DC is from 1999-2001 (approximately), and the P42DC can go 7 miles faster (Amtrak only; the 21 VIA Rail units are capped at 100 mph) and has 250 more horsepower than the P40DC.

All of the P40DCs not running for either Metro-North (leased) or New Jersey Transit (sold) are retired.

Also, GE Genesis locomotives are the only locomotives Amtrak has that can run on every line.

Nice catch!

I heard its doing RVL Train 5439, the 5:46 or so PM to Raritan.

Was the shock of my life when I got text messages this morning and a few calls just about a few hours ago.

Yea, these are proof that (NJT) is dedicated to getting the best equipment possible for the job! :D

- A

I think this was just to try out the P40s in service. And I thought it was going to be hauling some MLVs but then I saw Adam's picture....

Ya, i mean i'm just glad they are getting reliable loco's for the ACE runs. I am still wondering if they will use an alp-44 for underground portions in the hudson and east river tunnels and between...

- A

Ya, i mean i'm just glad they are getting reliable loco's for the ACE runs. I am still wondering if they will use an alp-44 for underground portions in the hudson and east river tunnels and between...

- A

It'll be ALP-46s to be used. But that could change in a heartbeat.

Yea, these are proof that (NJT) is dedicated to getting the best equipment possible for the job! :D

- A

I wouldn't say exactly...and WHY is because this is the only line where a late train won't really matter much. On a Hoboken direct run, it would cause problems. And have any crews from Hoboken Division even been qualified on it?

I wouldn't say exactly...and WHY is because this is the only line where a late train won't really matter much. On a Hoboken direct run, it would cause problems. And have any crews from Hoboken Division even been qualified on it?

Just saying these units are proven and will be good for this service, and any other service they are put on before they are relegated to ACE run or yard.

- A

Are you joking or being serius?

I hope it's a joke. But this isn't so much a knock on the equipment as it is being asked to do something it was never intended to do: run in local service with frequent stops. These locomotives were designed to pull long-distance trains with stops much less frequent, where the slow startup isn't relevant.

The four P40's 4800-4803 were purchased for the NYP to Atlantic City express run. I think its time on the :rvl: is just a shake down test.

It is. As far as i know this is the first time they are being put into passenger service with (NJT), though i've seen one at MMC from PATH around the new year. It was hooked to an alp-46. towards the mouth of the yard.

- A

Archived