MTA unveils MTA unveils new plan aimed at preventing overcrowding on three popular subway lines

Abba

It works on London Underground which, I will say, has to close some stations during the rush hour because it gets so crowded. It could work so don't write it off before it's even begun. You can't just buy new trains on a whim, you should know that.

Best solution: get rid of the R62As on the (6). They have narrower doors than the R142As, so it takes longer for people to get in and out and since the conductors have to make announcements manually, if there are people who need directions or can't understand anything, which happens on the (6) a lot, it delays service even further. Also, keep the R46s on the (R) as the (F) does not need them.

Another thing, get new dispatchers. NYCT has some of the stupidest ever hired. I am sick of trains being held at stations or between them for no damn reason! The most annoying moments are when they get held for a connecting train that is like 5+ minutes away and there is another train right behind us (happened to me while on the (6) at 14th Street, (M) at West 4th Street, and (B) at DeKalb Avenue) , when two trains about to enter the same track get held at the same time because the dispatcher can't decide which one should go first (happens a lot at DeKalb Avenue), when express trains get held to let locals they just passed go first, effectively wasting its purpose (happens to the (Q) at Prince and 34th Streets, <6> at Parkchester or 3rd Avenue-138th Street, (J)(Z) at Myrtle Avenue or Hewes Street, (5) at Jackson Avenue or East 180th Street, and (N) at Bay 50th Street or 9th Avenue when it gets rerouted via West End Express), or when I get two trains of the same service instead of alternating trains. A new automated announcement that should be made: "Ladies and gentleman, we are being held momentarily by the train's STUPID dispatcher."

Yeah, the (C) and (R) almost certainly don't need 60 footers primarily because they're part-time lines and not relatively well used enough. The (A) and (F) need the 60 footers way more than the (C) and (R) do. That way, they can help lower the rush hour and weekend passenger crowding depending on where the lines are and if the passengers are going to work/school or shopping (either Manhattan, Brooklyn and/or Queens).

I also agree that they need to stop the constant holding of trains at whatever station. They don't need to connect with another one that's 5 minutes away or so. Just pick up the pace and keep them moving. If the next train is 25 minutes away or so, then yes, they should indeed hold the first train to lessen the gap where possible or reroute another train to pick up the passengers where possible also. Be more proactive in sending at least one or two southbound (4) train via Eastern Parkway Local and extending it to New Lots Avenue if the (3) is 25 minutes away or so for example. But if it can't work, then I guess New Lots branch riders are gonna have no choice but to put up with the large gap in service.

What a half-assed load of crap. The MTA must be joking if they think this is going to help at all... one of the last things they need is MORE employees on an already crowded platform.

Not only that but they don't need to hire more LAZY "workers"... Last night after making a trip down to the Lower East Side for an event, I walked over to Essex to get the (F) to Midtown to get my express bus home. A garbage train pulled in, and there were at least three "workers" on the train all doing NOTHING but reading the damn newspapers.  I said how many newspapers do these people need?  I don't think any of them looked up once either.  No wonder they need CONSTANT cost of living increases because they spend a fortune on newspapers. <_<

I was on the (F) today around 12:40pm. Right after leaving 21st Street - Queensbridge, the train stopped and no announcements were made. The train was slow going all the way to Jackson Heights – Roosevelt Avenue and then speeds up and slow down repeatedly to  Forest Hills – 71st Avenue.

I was on the (F) today around 12:40pm. Right after leaving 21st Street - Queensbridge, the train stopped and no announcements were made. The train was slow going all the way to Jackson Heights – Roosevelt Avenue and then speeds up and slow down repeatedly to  Forest Hills – 71st Avenue.

Earlier on MTA.info it said there was signal problems at Woodhaven Blvd causing delays on (E) and (F) service.

Yeah, the (C) and (R) almost certainly don't need 60 footers primarily because they're part-time lines and not relatively well used enough. The (A) and (F) need the 60 footers way more than the (C) and (R) do. That way, they can help lower the rush hour and weekend passenger crowding depending on where the lines are and if the passengers are going to work/school or shopping (either Manhattan, Brooklyn and/or Queens).

The R being a part time line doesn't change a thing about how much it is used, and yes - it is relatively well used enough - and constantly delayed in part due to dwell time. 

The delays on the R are constant and significant, and for much of south brooklyn and queens on the weekends - it's the only option. It ran way-way-wayyyyy better with the R160's. 

They didn't finish up the work over the weekend and they're trying to sneak it in mid-day. 

The R being a part time line doesn't change a thing about how much it is used, and yes - it is relatively well used enough - and constantly delayed in part due to dwell time. 

The delays on the R are constant and significant, and for much of south brooklyn and queens on the weekends - it's the only option. It ran way-way-wayyyyy better with the R160's.

I thought the full-time lines almost always get first priority over the part-time lines whenever it comes to weekend GOs, where the (5) and (C) would often run every 20 minutes and 15 minutes respectively, the (4) and (A) running 8-9 trains per hour etc. While I am all for treating every line equally as a whole specifically during the off-peak hours in terms of headway (especially on weekends when all lines should have a 10 minute headway as a whole outside of the physically/fully isolated Canarsie, Flushing, and IRT 42nd Street Shuttle lines, which can remain at their 5 minute headways as they are now on weekends), I do consider that the (A) and (F) are full-time lines and busier and more demanding than the (C) and (R) which are part-time lines. Why would the latter two need 60 footers, when much of the crowding happens on the former two during rush hours (when people on those two full-time lines are heading to work/school in the morning and returning home in the evening) and sometimes on weekends & nights (when people are out going shopping or going to interests)?

I won't deny that the (R) does indeed get busy during rush hours and weekends (being that the local Queens Boulevard and Fourth Avenue stations respectively are the only option), but, however, when it comes to people heading from eastern Queens to Midtown/Downtown Manhattan (or from South Brooklyn to Chinatown/Midtown Manhattan) and also vice-versa, more people on that line always get off for the expresses. That's why having the R46s on the (R) (covering its entire fleet of course) isn't that far off....

They didn't finish up the work over the weekend and they're trying to sneak it in mid-day. 

Wasn't that mostly because of the split, though? (R) services operated much better during the Montague closure because the split services didn't have nearly as many delays knocking back into each other.

Wasn't that mostly because of the split, though? (R) services operated much better during the Montague closure because the split services didn't have nearly as many delays knocking back into each other.

I agree that (R) service was better during the Montague closure but the (R) is alright the way it is now

Archived