Q44 SBS Discussion

nuyorican

The commute on the Q44 is getting worse and worse leaving Jamaica is a disaster, from Merrick to Sutphin 25 minutes, from Sutphin and Hillside to Queens Blvd and Hillside 20 minutes. There should be a bus lane on hillside to Queens blvd. At Union Turnpike and Main St. 10 minutes between the light being to fast and cars turning in front of the bus thats a mess. The commute down Main St not bad till you hit Edler ave to Northern Blvd between double parked cars, traffic and people crossing the street however they want, that was 25 minutes. they heading into the bronx not bad just have to delete some stops on Union st because you have the Q20 A and B serving those stops.  

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made the mistake of boarding the Q44 in Jamaica, I've learned my lesson. Afterward I took the Q17 (sometimes Q27) to Flushing, then transfered. I realized that day that I would have been better off getting on the (F) at 179th and catching the bus at Van Wyck Blvd Station. than to sit on the bus for like 30 mins getting to Main Street!

It's not always 30 minutes going to Main Street or 25 to Sutphin(personally, that sounds over-exaggerated since I'm a daily Q44 rider).......even so, it's a combination of passenger loading and the traffic. SBS wouldn't improve upon that all that much especially since traffic in Jamaica is a hell hole in itself.

The Q44 is not as bad as you make it sound. I take that route often and getting from Merrick to Suthphin can be around 12 minutes. Now if you said the time getting from getting between Elder Ave and Northern Blvd was about 20 minutes I can agree. It is horrible during the PM rush. The Q44 is not getting SBS anytime soon. It is too difficult putting it on that route due to the streets it travels on and the Whitestone bridge. They switch drivers in Flushing so drivers don't have to endure a 2 hour ride.

The commute on the Q44 is getting worse and worse leaving Jamaica is a disaster, from Merrick to Sutphin 25 minutes, from Sutphin and Hillside to Queens Blvd and Hillside 20 minutes. There should be a bus lane on hillside to Queens blvd. At Union Turnpike and Main St. 10 minutes between the light being to fast and cars turning in front of the bus thats a mess. The commute down Main St not bad till you hit Edler ave to Northern Blvd between double parked cars, traffic and people crossing the street however they want, that was 25 minutes. they heading into the bronx not bad just have to delete some stops on Union st because you have the Q20 A and B serving those stops.  

Ok, but What time of the day is this?

It's not always 30 minutes going to Main Street or 25 to Sutphin(personally, that sounds over-exaggerated since I'm a daily Q44 rider).......even so, it's a combination of passenger loading and the traffic. SBS wouldn't improve upon that all that much especially since traffic in Jamaica is a hell hole in itself.

In Jamaica, no, but prepayment at major stops would do a lot to reduce the dwell time.

At this point the only way to speed up service where it matters would be some sort of dedicated path through Flushing, but that's about as likely as Staten Island becoming the 51st state.

The Q44 is not as bad as you make it sound. I take that route often and getting from Merrick to Suthphin can be around 12 minutes. Now if you said the time getting from getting between Elder Ave and Northern Blvd was about 20 minutes I can agree. It is horrible during the PM rush. The Q44 is not getting SBS anytime soon. It is too difficult putting it on that route due to the streets it travels on and the Whitestone bridge. They switch drivers in Flushing so drivers don't have to endure a 2 hour ride.

Main St isn't a priority for SBS anyway. It's Woodhaven Blvd. 

They're studying it right now.

In Jamaica, no, but prepayment at major stops would do a lot to reduce the dwell time.

That I know. I was primarily talking about Jamaica and the hot mess the 44/20 goes through from Merrick to Queens Blvd.

So did they just give up on the Q25?

The stops in Queens seem to be the same. No need to change them because the LTD stops currently on that route are used.

Do the plans call for all of the Bronx stops to be made? If that's the case there's going to be a lot of machines needed to make things work. I might start checking out the Q44 soon so i'll be able to make an opinion on what's needed for that route shortly.

It doesn't look like Bronx stops are known at this time, but the open house next Week might reveal the bronx portion.

I think they should eliminate some stops or make adjustments, no need to stop at Kissena and then 38/39 ave just give its own stand at Roosevelt and Main st. In front of Burger King where the Q17& Q27 stand and move the Q17 &Q27 stand. The other question would be will it get its own bus lane?    

How many is "many"? (If you go to the open house and talk about "many people," they'll tell you that "many" isn't a number.)

I couldn't tell an exact number but the bus operators of that route and the people who get on at that stop can tell you.

I think they should eliminate some stops or make adjustments, no need to stop at Kissena and then 38/39 ave just give its own stand at Roosevelt and Main st. In front of Burger King where the Q17& Q27 stand and move the Q17 &Q27 stand. The other question would be will it get its own bus lane?    

Moving the Q17 and 27 stands would be a terrible idea, since there aren't many places that could hold that many people that well (the lines for the 17 and 27 often get the length of the block).

Archived