8th Avenue Line Signage

MHV9218

The MTA is rapidly replacing the old signs of the 8th Avenue Line, even when signs are in fine condition and no in no need of repair. This is a shame, because the line has long been a stronghold of Akzidenz-Grotesk porcelain enamel signs that are much more simple and pleasing to the eye (a simple "72" instead of "72nd Street") then the new Helvetica metal pieces. The entire line received these porcelain enamel signs in roughly 1982, to the best of my knowledge. They have been replaced only at rehabbed stations since then, but the MTA is finally getting rid of them now. Normally I wouldn't make a list like this as it'd simply seal the fates of the current pieces of history, but these will be removed regardless. 

207th St - modern Helvetica signs, replaced mid-2000s

200th St - modern Helvetica signs, replaced late 1990s/early 2000s

191st St - modern Helvetica signs, replaced 2010

181st St - modern Helvetica signs, replaced 2014

175th St - modern Helvetica signs, replaced mid-1990s

168th St - original Azkidenz-Grotesk porcelain, installed 1981-1982

163rd St - modern Helvetica signs, replaced early 2000s

155th St - modern Helvetica signs, replaced early 2000s

145th St - modern Helvetica signs, replaced spring 2015

135th St - original Akzidenz-Grotesk porcelain, installed 1981-1982

125th St - pillars: modern Helvetica signs, installed mid-1990s; hanging: original Azkidenz-Grotesk porcelain, installed 1981-1982

116th St - modern Helvetica signs, installed mid-1990s

110th St - modern Helvetica signs, installed early 2000s

103rd St - modern Helvetica signs, installed early 2000s; one A-G sign remaining on platform

96th St - modern Helvetica signs, installed 2013

86th St - modern Helvetica signs, installed mid-2000s, two A-G signs remaining on platforms

81st St - modern Helvetica signs, installed mid-2000s

72nd St - original Akdizend-Grotesk porcelain, installed 1981-1982

59th St - modern Helvetica signs, installed mid-2000s

50th St - modern Helvetica signs, installed mid-2000s

42nd St - modern Helvetica signs, installed early 2000s

34th St - modern Helvetica signs, installed early 2000s

23rd St - modern Helvetica signs, installed mid-2000s

14th St - modern Helvetica signs, installed mid-2000s

W 4 St - modern Helvetica signs, installed late 1990s

Spring St - modern Helvetica signs, installed mid-2000s

Canal St - modern Helvetica signs, installed mid-2000s

Chambers St - modern Helvetica signs, installed late 1990s

Fulton St - modern Helvetica signs, installed mid-2000s

Saving time, because I need to run out.

All remaining Brooklyn C train stations except Euclid are in modern Helvetica signs. Hoyt and Utica a few remaining A-G signs each. There may be a few stragglers left over. As for the (A) line, there are a few remaining stragglers but almost all were replaced in the Rockaway rehab. Far Rock may have a couple remaining.

My message is: get your shots while the history is still there! If there are updates or corrections to any of these, please let me know. 

Which part of 72nd has the original signs?

I know that the uptown platform of 72nd has new route signs. They even messed up with one of them.

Oh, I was talking about the platform pillar signs. There are no stations with the original AG route signs 'cause those would still have the (K) signs. Couple older ones with the black covering at Jay St., etc. though.

The last vestiges of the Vignelli-Noorda design are being phased out and I'm not so thrilled about that. I also like the simplistic look of the older numbered station signage. It also may have something to do with my preference Akzidenz-Grotesk over Helvetica.

Which part of 72nd has the original signs?

I know that the uptown platform of 72nd has new route signs. They even messed up with one of them.

<pic removed>

Again, what is this "proofreading"?

Oh, I was talking about the platform pillar signs. There are no stations with the original AG route signs 'cause those would still have the (K) signs. Couple older ones with the black covering at Jay St., etc. though.

Gotcha, I'll check em out. I'll post up on other findings.

I always preferred the Akzidenz-Grotesk font on the pillar signs along with the simple number on them too.

Regarding the (B) goof at 72nd, there was another sign at 59th that they goofed up that either had a blue (B) or an orange (C) bullet but I can't remember which (or was it both?)

I always preferred the Akzidenz-Grotesk font on the pillar signs along with the simple number on them too.

Regarding the (B) goof at 72nd, there was another sign at 59th that they goofed up that either had a blue (B) or an orange (C) bullet but I can't remember which (or was it both?)

It was both but they fixed it

• 5 weeks later...

A few corrections to this thread:

145th Street received new signs well before Spring 2015--probably around 2011/2012.

Grant Avenue still has a handful of condensed font signs, like Utica and Hoyt. I had thought this was Akzidenz-Grotesk Super Black Condensed or the like, but some sources say it's in fact Helvetica Ultra Compressed at Grant and Helvetica Inserat at Hoyt/Utica. These signs are from about 1986, a little later than some of the other 8th Ave line porcelain signs.

116 does not have any original signs southbound, unless I'm blind. I looked.

A couple photos, working south:

168 - whole station

MLS_4324_zpshg2evyhz.jpg

103 - one sign

MLS_5997_zpsjwp2qqjy.jpg

96 - none remaining

MLS_1316_zpsdzpx6xuj.jpg

86 - two signs

MLS_6020_zpszj7z6lnq.jpg

72 - all signs

MLS_6844_zpsznhlfss2.jpg

Hoyt - handful of pillar signs, all signs facing tracks

MLS_4695_zps9gba51wx.jpg

The key distinction for many of these is the use of porcelain enamel, rather than thin metal on newer signs. The fonts play a part too.

Archived