Museum Car Discussion Thread

Dj Hammers

8 minutes ago, thicctrain said:

Anybody know when the next museum fan trip is? Never been on one except the holiday ones.  

April 15th to Woodlawn, the Northern terminal on the (4) line. More information can be found here.

Hope this answers your question.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Alright, here’s an interesting question: does anything in the museum fleet still have field shunting enabled? I would assume that the museum cars retired after the neutering in the late 90s (Redbirds, R32-R42) didn’t get it put back in, but I am wondering if the R10 and R16 or maybe that R33WF that got retired pre-GOH still have it enabled. If so, would that cause any issues when coupled to other museum cars without it?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 9:26 AM, Autocar said:

There were reports that the AB Standards & D-Type 6112 had problems @ The Parade of Trains. Anybody have more information ? Thanks in advance.

Yes, they were brought in between NY Aquarium and Brighton Beach, I talked to some of the transit workers and they said the brakes were screwed up, but they’re fine, they ran a couple of days ago.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The schedule for the Holiday Nostalgia Trips by the Transit Museum have been announced. Trips will operate on Sundays from Nov. 25th - Dec. 30th. Also, for those who've gotten tired of the same route between Queens Plaza and 2 Avenue, you're in luck as this year's trips will operate along Central Park West to 125 Street.

Full Details

On 11/7/2018 at 12:30 PM, Lance said:

The schedule for the Holiday Nostalgia Trips by the Transit Museum have been announced. Trips will operate on Sundays from Nov. 25th - Dec. 30th. Also, for those who've gotten tired of the same route between Queens Plaza and 2 Avenue, you're in luck as this year's trips will operate along Central Park West to 125 Street.

Full Details

That routing is a disaster waiting to happen. Like, why not extend it to end on the lower level of 145th St instead of in front of express (A) and (D) trains.

On 11/8/2018 at 2:28 PM, Lawrence St said:

That routing is a disaster waiting to happen. Like, why not extend it to end on the lower level of 145th St instead of in front of express (A) and (D) trains.

The TA is likely staging trains on the middle track at 145 or something. If the track was open, I can almost guarantee that that would have been the first choice as a northbound terminus for the train this year.

27 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

The TA is likely staging trains on the middle track at 145 or something. If the track was open, I can almost guarantee that that would have been the first choice as a northbound terminus for the train this year.

So it's gonna be jaywalking to A5? 

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I don't mean to open a speculative can of worms here, but why did they only preserve one R44 car which essentially guarantees it will never operate again? Do they plan to preserve a 2 or 4 car R46 in place of it? 

From what I heard, this is what the Transit Museum wanted, which makes sense considering the fact that they used it for some Saturday Night Live shoots, some 'still' pictures for the Oral Proficiency Exam for Conductor, and other things.

As far as preserving the R46s, let's cross that bridge when we get there. Right now, they're slowly phasing out the R32s and the R42s, and two cars from each set have been already preserved.

3 hours ago, +Young+ said:

From what I heard, this is what the Transit Museum wanted, which makes sense considering the fact that they used it for some Saturday Night Live shoots, some 'still' pictures for the Oral Proficiency Exam for Conductor, and other things.

As far as preserving the R46s, let's cross that bridge when we get there. Right now, they're slowly phasing out the R32s and the R42s, and two cars from each set have been already preserved.

They can still preserve an SIR R44 and hook it up to the NYCT one (assuming they're mechanically compatible).

23 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

I don't think they're storing trains there since there's a G.O having the (D) Trains using the 145th Street Middle Track for two of those weekends (So Far) 

On 11/10/2018 at 7:30 PM, +Young+ said:

I don't know why but I got this strange feeling that the Transit Museum should plan some special event with the R32's (and maybe the R42's) 

If I'm not mistaken, the 32's made their debut on the (Q) line in 1964. So wouldn't it be nice if they had their last few runs on the (Q) or as a special Express route from Astoria-Ditmars Blvd to Coney Island via the Middle track in Queens and the Broadway and Brighton Express tracks. Wouldn't that be nice?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2018 at 7:48 PM, OverlyObsessed said:

Great, Channel 11 News reported on the vintage train ride this week, expect more normies this Sunday and upcoming dates. 

WABC-TV (aka Eyewitness News) also recently reported on it as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs7OXh2Y0Ng&fbclid=IwAR2VQiVEUDb-tjS3GfEXGilMCK0P1M_0MeiiET2QgsSw6V-pcicTELvg9k8

(I did this intentionally to save space - if any of the Moderators want to fix this to show the YouTube video, please do not hesitate to do so.)

Edited by +Young+