Museum Car Discussion Thread

Dj Hammers

The 12-9 at Columbus Circle didn't involve the museum train though, right?

The service changes alone is making it not ideal to even try to ride it today. If it's still even running, it's probably crush loaded with regular (D) riders (the D is suspended in Manhattan at the moment) just trying to get to and from places.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/13/2018 at 10:57 PM, RR503 said:

Excluding the 10AM departure from 2nd Ave, is there any general trend in crowding for the holiday train? I wanna get down and see it one of these two weekends -- missed out last year... 

LOL you're screwed if you try to board anywhere that's not the termini. The only trip that's sort of nice anymore is the first round trip of the day.

7 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

LOL you're screwed if you try to board anywhere that's not the termini. The only trip that's sort of nice anymore is the first round trip of the day.

Yeah, you really need to get on at a terminus and try and make the first trip or so each way. I took the first round trip last year and it was busy, but not overcrowded. But the platform at 2nd Avenue when we got back around noon? HA. Similar in 2016.

There's no way in hell I'm going to be making the 10 AM if I'm coming from Albany (I'd need to leave at 5 AM to have a chance if I'm catching MNRR), so I'm going to get down to the 9:17 out of North White Plains, hop off at 125th, and walk the 4 blocks crosstown to stake out my spot on the platform.

38 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Are there enough museum cars to start running a second train like Chicago did a few years ago?

Probably, however you need to keep in mind that they also need cars in the Transit Museum for their visitors as well.

As an example, whenever they ran the Parade of Trains during the summer, not this past year, but in other years when they used the R1/9 cars, they would only run 4 of them to keep 100, 484 & 1575 in the museum since they used both sets of Triplexes. In addition, if they ran the Train of Many Metals, including the R10, R11, R16, R38, R40S, R40 & R42, then they need something else in the museum to temporarily replace those cars as well.

In addition, I don't know offhand what the story is with the 6112 Triplex - last I heard, it's still at Coney Island awaiting repairs?

Another example: Years ago, when the ran the Train of Many Colors on the (7) (aka Flushing Line), they would put the Money Cars in the museum to replace 9306, 5760 and 6239. Now, since they have enough cars with the addition of 9307, 9310, 9586 & 9587, they can leave 9306, 5760 and 6239 in the museum and use the other cars which are probably at the 207th Street Yard.

Pictures of the Money Train in the Transit Museum and at 207th Street can be seen here. In addition, if you click here, you'll be able to see the Gate Cars and the Money Train together!!

Edited by +Young+

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Are there enough museum cars to start running a second train like Chicago did a few years ago?

Of Arines? Nope. I don't think they can use D type/BMT Standard combo in regular service even though they can now run together, something to do with the doors.

Maybe when all the R16s and both R10s are restored, they can use that as a second holiday train. 

The best bet for a second train would be the Train of Many Metals. There are more operating personnel qualified on that equipment, and the two trains could share northern or southern terminals. For the Ds and Standards to run as a train, they'd need to be able to trainline the doors, or run with multiple conductors.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, OverlyObsessed said:

I looked on the Transit museum's website and the section for Nostalgia Rides is empty, can we expect any trips before the Met's and Yankee's opening days?

Yankees, yea, but the Mets? Ehh IDK because of CBTC being on the line.

One theory I read on YouTube is they could isolate the middle track and run the TOMC back and forth between Willis Point and 33rd Rawson, but IDK if that's even possible. Maybe one of the signal nerds can chime in lol

• 2 months later...

Would it be feasible for one of those Trolley Museum's in New England to save two R110 A cars and have them be operational? Those various museums each have AMUE and SMEE cars I was just wondering if they by chance they got their hands on two R110 A cars could they be operational with the limited resources they have. 

I have been wondering this for a while now....

Edited by trainfan22

On 3/17/2019 at 8:56 PM, trainfan22 said:

Would it be feasible for one of those Trolley Museum's in New England to save two R110 A cars and have them be operational? Those various museums each have AMUE and SMEE cars I was just wondering if they by chance they got their hands on two R110 A cars could they be operational with the limited resources they have. 

I have been wondering this for a while now....

possible, they would have to rework the car to recive elctrecity from the cantenary, like the r33 Redbirds they have there, but I don't see why they couldn't.

Direct from the Transit Webpage

"We're offering the perfect way to get into the spirit of Bronx Bombers post-season play – a ride to Yankee Stadium aboard our 1917 IRT Lo-V train. If baseball fans swipe their MetroCard right on March 28th, they’ll ride to the stadium in subway-style on our vintage train. The Nostalgia Train, originally operated by the Interborough Rapid Transit (IRT) system, began service in 1917. The vintage train cars and hundreds of other similar cars served subway customers a few years before the first pitch was thrown at the original Yankee Stadium. With rattan seats, ceiling fans and drop sash windows, the train harkens back to an earlier age of subway travel, and provides a photogenic counterpoint to the new home of the New York Yankees."

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Does anyone know why NYTM only saved one R44? Or do they plan on saving one R46 and coupling it to that one?

My guess is that they didn’t want to preserve a 4 car set and figured that they would just preserve an R46 (my guess is that they will keep one of the 2 car sets). It’s also possible that the cars were so deteriorated that they didn’t want any more or that they couldn’t secure a set in time. 

Speaking of that, do they plan on doing anything with 3350-3351 and 4665-4460? The cars have been sitting at CI for quite some time and the latter doesn’t seem to be looking too good...

Edited by R68OnBroadway

11 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

My guess is that they didn’t want to preserve a 4 car set and figured that they would just preserve an R46 (my guess is that they will keep one of the 2 car sets). It’s also possible that the cars were so deteriorated that they didn’t want any more or that they couldn’t secure a set in time. 

Speaking of that, do they plan on doing anything with 3350-3351 and 4665-4460? The cars have been sitting at CI for quite some time and the latter doesn’t seem to be looking too good...

Thing is, the 4665-4660 pair had some cosmetic work done to it a few years ago. A blue stripe was installed on the front of 4665 I believe and it was done to make the pair look pre-GOH like. Besides that, the pair doesn't seem to be looking too bad, as last I checked, I only saw minor rust on the roofs.

In addition to 3350-3351 and the R40M-R42 pair, there are also two R16s (6305 and 6339) and one D-Type (6112) that are also preserved. The R32 is in excellent condition. With the two R16s, however, not too good. Although 6305 got a repaint into the blue/white MTA livery back in 2013, the paint has since chipped off. As for 6339, it's missing number plates with corrosion on the side. The D-Type (6112) is in good condition, and the reason why it's at Coney Island is because it had motor problems at the Parade of Trains last year. However, that set should be up and running soon. 

44069943244_c347084a62_k.jpg