Museum Car Discussion Thread

Dj Hammers

41 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Thing is, the 4665-4660 pair had some cosmetic work done to it a few years ago. A blue stripe was installed on the front of 4665 I believe and it was done to make the pair look pre-GOH like. Besides that, the pair doesn't seem to be looking too bad, as last I checked, I only saw minor rust on the roofs.

In addition to 3350-3351 and the R40M-R42 pair, there are also two R16s (6305 and 6339) and one D-Type (6112) that are also preserved. The R32 is in excellent condition. With the two R16s, however, not too good. Although 6305 got a repaint into the blue/white MTA livery back in 2013, the paint has since chipped off. As for 6339, it's missing number plates with corrosion on the side. The D-Type (6112) is in good condition, and the reason why it's at Coney Island is because it had motor problems at the Parade of Trains last year. However, that set should be up and running soon. 

44069943244_c347084a62_k.jpg

Arent those two R16 pairs only part units now?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Thing is, the 4665-4660 pair had some cosmetic work done to it a few years ago. A blue stripe was installed on the front of 4665 I believe and it was done to make the pair look pre-GOH like. Besides that, the pair doesn't seem to be looking too bad, as last I checked, I only saw minor rust on the roofs.

In addition to 3350-3351 and the R40M-R42 pair, there are also two R16s (6305 and 6339) and one D-Type (6112) that are also preserved. The R32 is in excellent condition. With the two R16s, however, not too good. Although 6305 got a repaint into the blue/white MTA livery back in 2013, the paint has since chipped off. As for 6339, it's missing number plates with corrosion on the side. The D-Type (6112) is in good condition, and the reason why it's at Coney Island is because it had motor problems at the Parade of Trains last year. However, that set should be up and running soon. 

44069943244_c347084a62_k.jpg

Do you also know how 3352-3353 and 4480-4481 are doing?

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

If they've never been through GOH, field shunts would be untampered with.

Field shunt mods came after GOH — those were done post-1995 to reduce the number of signal mods that would have to be made (lol). 

https://www.nytransitmuseum.org/programs/list/?tribe_paged=2&tribe_event_display=list

The Fall 2019 list for the Brighton Parade of Trains:
-BRT Elevated cars (Gate cars)

-BRT/BMT Standards

-R1/9

*There is a mixture of a pair from the Train of Many Colors and Metals: IRT R33/BMT R38 train = 4 cars 

Edited by Calvin

At the risk of sounding like a total pain in the ass, I was a little disappointed (though not surprised) to see the TA logos on the new museum Bluebirds 9307/9308 are all recreations. I didn't think there were that many surviving original plates given the TA pieces came off the redbirds in the 1970s-1980s, most of them almost colorless by that time. Almost all of them lost their color over the years. The R32s are still using their original plates, I believe, but I'm sure the TA colors are gone (and under multiple layers of decals). Because of all that, I had no idea where they were going to get 4 plates for those cars. The new recreations are pretty close (the TA logo is almost perfect, and the black T is correct for a WF car...blue was for the 32/38/40 fleet) but the font is pretty off from the original. 9306 remains the only Bluebird with the original sign. Still, great to see those cars repainted and the excellent work the Transit Museum is doing.

Also, major points for finding an Identra coil for 9307! Who knew those still existed...

Edited by MHV9218

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Also, major points for finding an Identra coil for 9307! Who knew those still existed...

I didn't attend the event, however I thought those things could be used on the different Redbird/Bluebird cars. After all, if you look at the other cars, including 9306 in the museum, I don't see it on there...

23 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

I didn't attend the event, however I thought those things could be used on the different Redbird/Bluebird cars. After all, if you look at the other cars, including 9306 in the museum, I don't see it on there...

Oh, if it's off 9306 that means they just plucked it off. Oh well. That makes sense--those are similar artifacts that disappeared by the mid-1970s, so not surprised that they're all gone now. They date to about 1954, when they were actually first installed on R12/R14s and then moved onto the R33/R36 fleet when those arrived. Sort of an ATS before ATS. Technically, Identra allowed 37tph on the Flushing line. Unheard of now.

Edited by MHV9218

17 hours ago, RedLine said:

They just painted the metal gaskets black.

Yeah, I also noticed that up close and personal. That's why it's a little messy around the edges on the glass pieces. Oh well, it's something...better than 9307. Same with the TA sign replicas.

Edited by MHV9218

49 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Something in thought: Did the R38s (all of them) have a different MTA NYC Subway logo back then? 

During GOH they all got a revised version of the NYCTA logo originally used on R26 cars in the 1950s. R26s featured those logos in the place where M/MTA signs would eventually end up, side of the car above the number plates. Those logos were applied on the R28s, R29s, and the R33ML order. There was a matching design for NYCTA buses. The R33WF and up car classes arrived with the large steel TA logos we were talking about upthread. While the original logo was in color, the replacement for the 38s was monochrome though featuring a nice burgundy border. The car pictured is an R12/R14. Two R38s lost the logos and ended up with MTA logos instead, but I don't believe there were any more. I always appreciated that design, thought it added something to the cars. That logo was only for the front bulkhead, never the sides.

Edited by MHV9218

On 9/29/2019 at 6:31 PM, MHV9218 said:

At the risk of sounding like a total pain in the ass, I was a little disappointed (though not surprised) to see the TA logos on the new museum Bluebirds 9307/9308 are all recreations. I didn't think there were that many surviving original plates given the TA pieces came off the redbirds in the 1970s-1980s, most of them almost colorless by that time. Almost all of them lost their color over the years. The R32s are still using their original plates, I believe, but I'm sure the TA colors are gone (and under multiple layers of decals). Because of all that, I had no idea where they were going to get 4 plates for those cars. The new recreations are pretty close (the TA logo is almost perfect, and the black T is correct for a WF car...blue was for the 32/38/40 fleet) but the font is pretty off from the original. 9306 remains the only Bluebird with the original sign. Still, great to see those cars repainted and the excellent work the Transit Museum is doing.

I am glad that I am not the only person who noticed the Identra coil!

• 2 weeks later...

The Lo-V's will make its appearance on the West Side of IRT next Sunday after making a one way trip to the game on the (4) line. 

Between 96 St and Times Sq-42 St

https://www.nytransitmuseum.org/subwayday/?fbclid=IwAR0ICn4dN1IGd7A4pU_ZLFW43Zc81hdWOj2clYqINvfURus5Xm3ipG--nq8

Edited by Calvin