Museum Car Discussion Thread

Dj Hammers

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cars are in poor shape after being left idle for well over a decade. Before the B-cars were converted to pump cars, the only movement the R110As got was when a diesel car towed them from yard to yard on occasion. Also, all of the electronic equipment is around 20 years old and the equivalent material from the R142s are not compatible.

If there are any plans for preserving those cars, it would have to be as a static display unless the Museum dumps a lot of money into fixing them up for any kind of fan trips.

I would imagine the technology on the R110s is far more advanced than the SMEE and AMUE cars, so restoring them to working order is a much more difficult task than restoring some random R9 or R16 car that's been sitting idle in CI Yard for like 30 years.

Keeping one car as a static display is the best option, as the interior was so unique for a IRT car... I think issue is space for storing the museum cars, R62As & R68s have more historical value than the R110s do IMO, also R62s & 68s can actually run with other SMEE cars currently in the museum fleet which helps, where's the R110s are a lone wolf. Could just save a single car from the 62A fleet and a Frankin Shuttle 68 car and ya good to go.

I actually ridden the R110A back when it was in service and TBH it didn't feel much different than the R142A/188s do, over the years I wanted to see them restored only because I wanted to hear what the propulsion sounded like as I don't remember from the one time I rode it.... but once a video was uploaded to Youtube of them running in service I had closure lol and didn't care what happened to the cars.

The cars are in poor shape after being left idle for well over a decade. Before the B-cars were converted to pump cars, the only movement the R110As got was when a diesel car towed them from yard to yard on occasion. Also, all of the electronic equipment is around 20 years old and the equivalent material from the R142s are not compatible.

If there are any plans for preserving those cars, it would have to be as a static display unless the Museum dumps a lot of money into fixing them up for any kind of fan trips.

And one of the cars had a small fire while in service, which was the proverbial nail in the coffin for them.

The pump car conversion program is suspended, per public documentation.

Some of the remaining intact cars are in very good condition. It is important to note that the interiors of the R110s look like modern subway cars, which is a plus for movie/TV/advertisement shoots. 

The pump car conversion program is suspended, per public documentation.

Some of the remaining intact cars are in very good condition. It is important to note that the interiors of the R110s look like modern subway cars, which is a plus for movie/TV/advertisement shoots. 

Cool. 

When you say good condition, do you mean cosmetically or mechanically? Can they run on their own, like people are suggesting, for a fan-trip or something?

Cool. 

When you say good condition, do you mean cosmetically or mechanically? Can they run on their own, like people are suggesting, for a fan-trip or something?

One would make a very good static display, given its historical significance, use for TV/film/ad shoots as a modern looking car, and small size.

Cool.

They're cosmetically in good condition. Only a major wipe down and you're good to go.

Mechanically is a different story. Only thing you gonna get out of that is the lights to work.

There's still at least a set of R44s sitting in Coney Island Yard. What are they planning to do with those?

They were all stripped of usable parts, left out in the open when Sandy flooded the yard. Far from operational status.

What about interior signs?

That's mechanical. All of the mechanics inside the car are fried. The most you can get out of those cars is working lights.

• 1 month later...

This may be a bit off topic but I'm not sure where to ask the question...

I rode the BMT quite a bit as a boy in the late '50s and early '60s.

I remember the drab green interiors of the BMT Standards, along with the wicker seats, with sharp edges that often stuck up and jabbed you in the butt. But right around '60, a group of the Standards were refurbished with new interiors. They got cushioned red leather seats and a strange (to me) interior paint scheme. It was sea-foam green with speckles of white spattered over it. I don't think very many of the Standards got this treatment.

Does anyone know if there are any examples remaining of this unique paint scheme? What about the red seats?

Were the recent refurbs of the Standards according to their original (olive green) interior color?

Thanks in advance!

4280-4281 are at 207th signed for the Broadway Shuttle to Brighton Beach, so expect to see those soon. Weirdly, they're attached to 4572 (same sign) but 4571 has been broken apart and isn't there. 4572 is linked to 3518-3519. 

4280-4281 are at 207th signed for the Broadway Shuttle to Brighton Beach, so expect to see those soon. Weirdly, they're attached to 4572 (same sign) but 4571 has been broken apart and isn't there. 4572 is linked to 3518-3519. 

This must mean these two are participating in the events of the 25th-26th. 

Do you mean 4573? 4571 was never paired with 4572. Interesting how one of the museum R42 cars is connected to revenue service R32 cars.

• 2 weeks later...

In response to Baron 34, I offer the following information:

There is one Standard that has been rebuilt and it is inoperable. It is at the Shoreline Trolley Museum and was part of the 2774-2775-2899 combination. It is sad that only five of the 950 cars survive and 2 of them (Shoreline and the Transit Museum) are inoperable for different reasons. 

I do not know about the olive drab color on 2390-2 is the same but I remember the standards that were painted olive drab until they were scrapped in 1964/1965. I saw a picture of 2830-32 which I remember were the only remaining cars from the 2800 series that retained that color and the drop seats as well. It ran on the Myrtle Avenue Exp during rush hours for many years where I used to see it regularly. The other cars 2800-2898 were painted in blue and did not have the drop seats. 

The 2300's had many cars that retained their original olive drab and drop seats and were seen quite frequently on the Southern Division lines until the end.