Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
CalgaryTransitNYC

Hello from Calgary, Canada!

Hello everyone! I'm CalgaryTransitNYC. Hope you don't mind someone from Canada! I have taken much interest in New York (particularly the subway). Seeing as I'm from Calgary, the only trains we see here are LRT, and freight. I'm also considering a trip to New York in the near future. Glad to be here!

• Upvote 1

Welcome! You're in the right place, we also have a member from Toronto who follows the TTC (Toronto Transit Commission). :)

Welcome! I'm legally obligated to tell you that I was born in Vancouver and as such will have no business talking to you for six months until the sting of this year's playoffs goes away.

Go Canucks!

My mum was born in Alberta though, lovely province. 

Welcome! I'm legally obligated to tell you that I was born in Vancouver and as such will have no business talking to you for six months until the sting of this year's playoffs goes away.

Go Canucks!

My mum was born in Alberta though, lovely province. 

LMAO.... Sorry but Vancouver's golden days are long gone. The Sedin's are aging and they need a new spark (some young blood similar to what Calgary has to Gaudreau and Monahan)

lol... Can't believe we have someone here from Alberta and Calgary nonetheless.... Oilers fan here... :D:lol:

Thing #1: Oilers? I thought you were an Avs fan.....

Thing #2: Oilers actually have fans.... lol... The 21st century Oilers especially? News to me!

LMAO.... Sorry but Vancouver's golden days are long gone. The Sedin's are aging and they need a new spark (some young blood similar to what Calgary has to Gaudreau and Monahan)

Agreed about Vancouver..... But about Gaudreau specifically, dude needs a little something called WEIGHT (and I don't mean Doug, either)..... This is a grown man that's built like a high school kid playing in a grown man's game..... I mean shit, when you have Hartley taking him out of a game in the playoffs this year due to "safety reasons" (against the Ducks, as physical as they are, but still), yeah, there's a problem.....

and oh...

Hello everyone! I'm CalgaryTransitNYC. Hope you don't mind someone from Canada! I have taken much interest in New York (particularly the subway). Seeing as I'm from Calgary, the only trains we see here are LRT, and freight. I'm also considering a trip to New York in the near future. Glad to be here!

Welcome to the forums, breh! As long as you don't commence with the bashing of USA, you should be good here.

Edited by B35 via Church

Welcome. Like it was pointed out already, there are a few members from different countries other than the US on here. You should be good here.

Oh and if you are a photographer of sone sort, maybe you can post some photos of the LRT here :D curious as to how it looks over there.

Thing #1: Oilers? I thought you were an Avs fan.....

Thing #2: Oilers actually have fans.... lol... The 21st century Oilers especially? News to me!

Agreed about Vancouver..... But about Gaudreau specifically, dude needs a little something called WEIGHT (and I don't mean Doug, either)..... This is a grown man that's built like a high school kid playing in a grown man's game..... I mean shit, when you have Hartley taking him out of a game in the playoffs this year due to "safety reasons" (against the Ducks, as physical as they are, but still), yeah, there's a problem.....

No that was me having some fun since Calgary and Edmonton are rivals. As for the Oilers, what they accomplished in the 80's was amazing and fans are still quite passionate.  They're due to move into a new arena, have the 1st pick (AGAIN), new GM and new coach, so things are looking up.  They may be able to turn it around quickly like they did in Calgary. As for Gaudreau, he's only 5'9" and is a rookie.  He'll need some time to put on weigh but even then he won't be that big.  He's another Theo Fleury.... lol

No that was me having some fun since Calgary and Edmonton are rivals.

Lol... cool.... Gotcha.

As for the Oilers, what they accomplished in the 80's was amazing and fans are still quite passionate.  They're due to move into a new arena, have the 1st pick (AGAIN), new GM and new coach, so things are looking up.  They may be able to turn it around quickly like they did in Calgary.

As for Gaudreau, he's only 5'9" and is a rookie.  He'll need some time to put on weigh but even then he won't be that big.  He's another Theo Fleury.... lol

Sounds like another group of fans still living in the past, too bad their losing ass team/fanbase will be bombarding Brooklyn soon.... I'm still unsure of what they're going to call themselves; will it still be the NY Islanders, or the Brooklyn Islanders, or what.....

Hopefully the LI-ers that are anti-NYC that have never, or hardly ever stepped foot in NYC since the last time the Islanders won a cup, won't start waiting til now to fester NYC with their perpetual doom & gloom, false hope, we'll get em next year attitude..... Ughk.... Bad enough you got Met fans in this city with that same general, sorry ass disposition..... Met fans turn Cubs fans this year since they got no hit a couple days ago... Pathetic.

Anyway, to this day, I get the sense that some of these "ranger fans" bombarding the LIRR are former Islander fans..... Turncoats.

How you goin be a ranger fan that hates manhattan.... Those are the LI-ers I've long despised (pineypower being one of them; the anti-NYC LI-ers)....

As far as the Oilers, I won't hold my breath... the both of us will be maggot food before that franchise displays any real level of prominence.... Calgary, however, I have hope for.... To me, they're like the little engine that could (Gotta get rid of that scrub Ramo though)....

Lol... cool.... Gotcha.

Sounds like another group of fans still living in the past, too bad their losing ass team/fanbase will be bombarding Brooklyn soon.... I'm still unsure of what they're going to call themselves; will it still be the NY Islanders, or the Brooklyn Islanders, or what.....

Hopefully the LI-ers that are anti-NYC that have never, or hardly ever stepped foot in NYC since the last time the Islanders won a cup, won't start waiting til now to fester NYC with their perpetual doom & gloom, false hope, we'll get em next year attitude..... Ughk.... Bad enough you got Met fans in this city with that same general, sorry ass disposition..... Met fans turn Cubs fans this year since they got no hit a couple days ago... Pathetic.

Anyway, to this day, I get the sense that some of these "ranger fans" bombarding the LIRR are former Islander fans..... Turncoats.

How you goin be a ranger fan that hates manhattan.... Those are the LI-ers I've long despised (pineypower being one of them; the anti-NYC LI-ers)....

As far as the Oilers, I won't hold my breath... the both of us will be maggot food before that franchise displays any real level of prominence.... Calgary, however, I have hope for.... To me, they're like the little engine that could (Gotta get rid of that scrub Ramo though)....

lol... The name will remain the same since they'll be in Brooklyn.  Goes back to the whole thing about Brooklyn being part of Long Island.  This who thing was nothing more than a way to get them into a new arena.  Folks from Long Island will come to the games via the LIRR...

lol... The name will remain the same since they'll be in Brooklyn.  Goes back to the whole thing about Brooklyn being part of Long Island.  This who thing was nothing more than a way to get them into a new arena.  Folks from Long Island will come to the games via the LIRR...

Of course LI-ers will make their way to the games via the LIRR - the same LI-ers that bombard LIRR trains now whenever there's some other event at Barclays that decreases my chances of getting a seat on those WB main line trains coming home... I've been on some of those saturday trains to Atlantic Terminal too in the afternoon hrs., and for whatever the reason, so many believe that Atlantic Terminal is the next stop after Jamaica.... I'll admit, it is funny to see ppl. getting off at East New York, asking which way is the arena..... But yeah, Barclay's doesn't offer parking, and even if it did, you aint getting LI-ers to drive into the city to see these bunch of losers..... It would be either the LIRR, or bust....

I can't recall any of those (rip off) garages in the general vicinity of Barclay's either/anyway..... OTOH, those parking garages in Manhattan within say a 1/2 square mile of MSG make an absolute f**king KILLING.... I've even heard of people (not saying they're LI-ers specifically; as you get Jersey heads driving out here for a "night on the town" also) parking somewhere on the east side, and taking cabs to get to MSG... The idea is that they hit up some restaurant on the east side on the way back (after the game) before driving back home... More power to them, b/c you won't catch me doing that shit.... I didn't want the Nets here, I don't want the Islanders here, and I didn't want Barclays to be constructed to begin with..... Barclays Center is everything that "Brooklyn" isn't... Compare that to MSG; it or Central Park (depending on who you ask) is often dubbed the heart of Manhattan.....

The day LI-ers start driving to the city in droves (and a decrease in LIRR usage ensues) is the day I turn into a complete hermit & a complete fat ass, because I would not leave the confines of this neighborhood..... NYC yellow cabs aint got shit on LI-ers...

Of course LI-ers will make their way to the games via the LIRR - the same LI-ers that bombard LIRR trains now whenever there's some other event at Barclays that decreases my chances of getting a seat on those WB main line trains coming home... I've been on some of those saturday trains to Atlantic Terminal too in the afternoon hrs., and for whatever the reason, so many believe that Atlantic Terminal is the next stop after Jamaica.... I'll admit, it is funny to see ppl. getting off at East New York, asking which way is the arena..... But yeah, Barclay's doesn't offer parking, and even if it did, you aint getting LI-ers to drive into the city to see these bunch of losers..... It would be either the LIRR, or bust....

I can't recall any of those (rip off) garages in the general vicinity of Barclay's either/anyway..... OTOH, those parking garages in Manhattan within say a 1/2 square mile of MSG make an absolute f**king KILLING.... I've even heard of people (not saying they're LI-ers specifically; as you get Jersey heads driving out here for a "night on the town" also) parking somewhere on the east side, and taking cabs to get to MSG... The idea is that they hit up some restaurant on the east side on the way back (after the game) before driving back home... More power to them, b/c you won't catch me doing that shit.... I didn't want the Nets here, I don't want the Islanders here, and I didn't want Barclays to be constructed to begin with..... Barclays Center is everything that "Brooklyn" isn't... Compare that to MSG; it or Central Park (depending on who you ask) is often dubbed the heart of Manhattan.....

The day LI-ers start driving to the city in droves (and a decrease in LIRR usage ensues) is the day I turn into a complete hermit & a complete fat ass, because I would not leave the confines of this neighborhood..... NYC yellow cabs aint got shit on LI-ers...

lol... I could see NJ folks driving in. They are so car centric that it is nauseating.  I had a friend who lived in West New York (now out in CA).  He would drive in everywhere. We met for dinner in Midtown near my office and he drove in. We got a metered spot in a shocking amount of time compared to times that we had dinner on the Upper East Side.  Then we could easily spend 20 minutes looking for a spot, and this was in the winter time.

Welcome. Like it was pointed out already, there are a few members from different countries other than the US on here. You should be good here.

Oh and if you are a photographer of sone sort, maybe you can post some photos of the LRT here :D curious as to how it looks over there.

I am a photographer of aircraft and transit! Go on my flickr, i have quite a bit of LRT photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123324005@N06/

• Upvote 1