MTA Bus Operations: Scrapped Equipment List

The TransitMan

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The RTS are too new for the holiday runs, it will probably be 15-20 years before we see an RTS on one of those Holiday runs. They don't even use 236 on holiday runs and that was retired years before Blitz 5227 bus was lol.

As for running a fan trip of sorts to bow out the RTS, that would only work if they used every RTS in the museum fleet so one bus wouldn't be overcrowded. But I doubt the TA would want to run the PBL RTS's on the M42. Plus all the buffs would flock to 1201 and 10001 due to their engines. 

I think the last Fishbowl got retired quietly without any fanfare.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Kinda like a Train of Many Colors, but using all types of RTSes. You've got the ex PBLs, and a variety of GMC, TMC, Novabuses. Maybe some day into the future, they can just run several RTSes on the M42 (Or some other route, most of MJQ routes are short) for a day. But regardless, atleast we know that we'll still have RTSes in our fleet in preservation. 

On 2/13/2019 at 8:35 AM, trainfan22 said:

It ran on a fan trip in the Rockaways a couple years ago

(Video removed for downloading ease)

These days, however, with possibly one exception, no one runs the Grumman 870/Flxible Metro in service anymore and except for those in museums or otherwise preserved, all have been scrapped. In fact, for the RTS, the MTA fleet probably constitutes about 80 percent of remaining RTS buses still in service in all of the USA. One has to remember though that 1201, the first RTS the MTA received, is 38 years old.

The story around 236, BTW: when the MTA retired the Grummans, most of them got sold (most to NJ Transit, which proceeded to run them into the ground, retiring them when the large batch of RTSs came in around 1999-2000 - 2089 is preserved under private ownership, and others to PVTA in Springfield/Amherst, MA), but 16 buses were held as evidence for the court case. After a settlement, the MTA took out the engines of the other 15 and scrapped the bodies. The other one was 236.

As for 5227's retirement (from regular revenue service), that was not without fanfare as it was the last non-ADA compliant bus on the NYCTA roster. Some got sent to Nassau County to run for a few more years.

Edited by aemoreira81

3 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

These days, however, with possibly one exception, no one runs the Grumman 870/Flxible Metro in service anymore and except for those in museums or otherwise preserved, all have been scrapped. In fact, for the RTS, the MTA fleet probably constitutes about 80 percent of remaining RTS buses still in service in all of the USA. One has to remember though that 1201, the first RTS the MTA received, is 38 years old.

FYI, 1201 was NOT the first RTS delivered. 1201 was delivered in September 1981, while 2201 was delivered in August 1981. Also, 2201 was the only RTS delivered with 4 roof hatches instead of the normal 2 roof hatches. They really should have saved 2201 instead of 1201.

58 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

The story around 236, BTW: when the MTA retired the Grummans, most of them got sold (most to NJ Transit, which proceeded to run them into the ground, retiring them when the large batch of RTSs came in around 1999-2000 - 2089 is preserved under private ownership, and others to PVTA in Springfield/Amherst, MA), but 16 buses were held as evidence for the court case. After a settlement, the MTA took out the engines of the other 15 and scrapped the bodies. The other one was 236.

As for 5227's retirement (from regular revenue service), that was not without fanfare as it was the last non-ADA compliant bus on the NYCTA roster. Some got sent to Nassau County to run for a few more years.

I know about 5227 being the last non ADA complaint bus. I meant fanfare like a last run catered to busfans. An RTS will most likely be the last HF LOCAL bus, however IDK if the MTA will celebrate its local fleet being 100% Low Floor... kind of an icky situation considering express buses will be HF for the foreseeable future.

Never knew they ran in Nassau after their retirement from NYCT... just a few days ago I learned LIB briefly had hand me down GMC RTS from NYCT.

5 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Finally one more rts in that Depot.. tired of Grand Ave getting all of the new buses.

Wrong.  5 Protera leased electrics that have been out of service FOR MONTHS due to brake problems.

9500 series hybrids: they have only 4.

Tell me what other new buses Grand has besides those that other depots don't have?