MTA Bus Operations: Scrapped Equipment List

The TransitMan

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/5/2021 at 11:47 AM, NBTA said:

JESUS, that's quick as hell, those ain't even the 02s either

College Point MCIs have to be high mileage though...and those buses being retired are 16 years old. I would hope that the Wi-Fi equipment is being saved for re-use though.

BTW, have 2204/9 been retired yet? They would be 20 years old now.

7 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

College Point MCIs have to be high mileage though...and those buses being retired are 16 years old. I would hope that the Wi-Fi equipment is being saved for re-use though.

BTW, have 2204/9 been retired yet? They would be 20 years old now.

Both still in service, actually. CP still has those 15 DL3s even as the D4500s are getting knocked off one-by-one.

12 hours ago, NYCTransitFannerBoy said:

What do you mean by College Point having 15 DL3s? Haven’t they been retired for a while now?

He means these Motor Coaches but with the green LCD signs. Almost 90% of the order have been retired except College Point in Queens has 15 of these left until more Prevosts are coming in and 7 are left at Yukon Depot in Staten Island that'll be gone soon as Meredith Depot gets the newer Prevosts moving the older Prevosts to Yukon bumping off the remaining green MCIs. 

There were at least 25 green LCD coaches left that were not retired because there were not enough Prevosts for removal. 

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

He means these Motor Coaches but with the green LCD signs. Almost 90% of the order have been retired except College Point in Queens has 15 of these left until more Prevosts are coming in and 7 are left at Yukon Depot in Staten Island that'll be gone soon as Meredith Depot gets the newer Prevosts moving the older Prevosts to Yukon bumping off the remaining green MCIs. 

There were at least 25 green LCD coaches left that were not retired because there were not enough Prevosts for removal. 

Even so, why are they keeping these around, but retiring buses that aren't nearly as old? These buses are in HORRIBLE shape, and they should be going before the any of the express buses from 2005, 2006, etc.

9 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Even so, why are they keeping these around, but retiring buses that aren't nearly as old? These buses are in HORRIBLE shape, and they should be going before the any of the express buses from 2005, 2006, etc.

Either the other units had higher mileage than the 02 units or the scrapped units were in worse shape than any of the 02 units. Sure, the older MCI's are not in great shape but they didn't get as heavily used during the past 5 years after they left Staten Island and Brooklyn compared to the 3000's which have been moved around many Bus Co depots around the same time.

1 minute ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Either the other units had higher mileage than the 02 units or the scrapped units were in worse shape than any of the 02 units. Sure, the older MCI's are not in great shape but they didn't get as heavily used during the past 5 years after they left Staten Island and Brooklyn compared to the 3000's which have been moved around many Bus Co depots around the same time.

I'm speaking from experience as someone who used to use those buses when I lived on Staten Island, and I have since used a few of them after they've been moved over to (MTA) Bus.  Didn't look like they did much with them, if anything. Shocks are bad shape. Seats are sunken. There was one bus I used to get on Staten Island where all of the seats had something sticking out of them. Likely the problem was from how worn out the seats were.

9 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm speaking from experience as someone who used to use those buses when I lived on Staten Island, and I have since used a few of them after they've been moved over to (MTA) Bus.  Didn't look like they did much with them, if anything. Shocks are bad shape. Seats are sunken. There was one bus I used to get on Staten Island where all of the seats had something sticking out of them. Likely the problem was from how worn out the seats were.

I didn’t dispute the fact that the 2002 units are not in good shape. I was just pointing out why some of the newer units might of been scrapped before any of the remaining old MCI’s did even if it does or doesn’t make sense.

4 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I didn’t dispute the fact that the 2002 units are not in good shape. I was just pointing out why some of the newer units might of been scrapped before any of the remaining old MCI’s did even if it does or doesn’t make sense.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Some of those newer MCIs might break down more often than the 02 units. Hence them being retired first. 

I just know from experience that some operators LOVE those buses, even though they are not a favorite of passengers. Part of me believes that's the real reason. There are a few operators I know personally that pull out the same express buses everyday.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

the older 2002 MCI's are more reliable than the 2004-2008 MCI's due to their engines. those CAT engines are very costly to maintain since I don't think CAT makes those engines anymore. the 2013 MCI's have a Cummins ISL so they're good.

Gonna be a weird day when the MTA doesn't have any Detroit Diesels running anymore...

On 2/8/2021 at 5:17 PM, trainfan22 said:

Some of those newer MCIs might break down more often than the 02 units. Hence them being retired first. 

I can understand. In November, I rode 3358 on the BM5. When we were nearly at the highway, I heard a clunk on the tandem axles. We waited for 15 minutes before 3156 arrived to fill-in for that unit. It was my first time hearing an mechanical failure during my ride home. But hey, these CLs have some power left on them, and I can see why these 02s are retiring after 19-20 years in service, thus concluding the Detroit Diesel era for the MTA.

1 hour ago, RSMG106 said:

For these 2002s at CP, which route is the common to find these buses, and which time does these buses appear? I know they can appear randomly, especially on different schedules.

They can show up on any route at any time, even the handful of super express runs on the QM2/5/8/20. You’ll definitely see them running during rush hours, but occasionally one might show up during the weekends or off-peak hours on weekdays.

10 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

They can show up on any route at any time, even the handful of super express runs on the QM2/5/8/20. You’ll definitely see them running during rush hours, but occasionally one might show up during the weekends or off-peak hours on weekdays.

I even saw two of the Staten Island ones (one was a SIM1, another was a SIM10), yesterday. 

On 2/8/2021 at 3:26 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

On 2/8/2021 at 12:54 PM, Calvin said:

From your input, Meredith is here to stay. But that’s another story for a different time. 

according to you, it might sound horrible, but buses that are 20 years old, still should be running good. Look at how many buses that are still running for NJT and these buses are getting replaced little by little. So if this works out, by the summer, there will be no more buses before 2005 on the road. 

15 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

From your input, Meredith is here to stay. But that’s another story for a different time. 

according to you, it might sound horrible, but buses that are 20 years old, still should be running good. Look at how many buses that are still running for NJT and these buses are getting replaced little by little. So if this works out, by the summer, there will be no more buses before 2005 on the road. 

We're talking about the (MTA) , and these buses, many of them were in HORRIBLE shape on Staten Island. I know from having taken them for years daily when I lived on the island. I have used a few of them that were shipped over to Yonkers Depot, and they didn't do much with them.

• 2 weeks later...