MTA Bus Operations: Scrapped Equipment List

The TransitMan

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll give you an example: 5524 in its career, it started out at KB, went to MQ, then to OH and stood for its entire career until it got scrapped recently. Now another bus, 5611 stood in one depot for a while before it made one run at GH's Bx12 local

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

KB got 5685-5714 brand new. Prior to this their highest 5500 was 5509 from the 1999-2000 order. 5524 was new to 100 street

I'll give you an example: 5524 in its career, it started out at KB, went to MQ, then to OH and stood for its entire career until it got scrapped recently. Now another bus, 5611 stood in one depot for a while before it made one run at GH's Bx12 local

I'm still a bit confused as to what you are asking. Buses can be transferred anywhere at anytime. 90% of the buses will transferred in their life. 10% or less will retire out of the depot they were delivered to. It's all about mileage and maintenance. Any bus can go anywhere and run in service. Buses can be retired or stored then pop back up in service somewhere. There is no set way of how it works. Buses are transfered when and where they are needed. As mentioned above 5524 was actually delivered to OH brand new as the depot reopened in 2003, then transferred a few times before returning.

KB got 5685-5714 brand new. Prior to this their highest 5500 was 5509 from the 1999-2000 order. 5524 was new to 100 street

I thought so because when the 5500s debuted, it was confusing between 100th St 126th St and MJQ. I remembered when #5537-5541 were at MJQ but #5511-5520 were at 126th St and it was back and forth.

The D60's are being prematurely scrapped. The buses have so much life left in them. What buses are left out of the 5510-5769 group?

Everyone seems to think that because they are being overshadowed by all the LFSA's and new XD60's. Contrary to popular belief, only 6 buses have been retired out of that whole lot of 260. As mentions below they have lots of life left in them, and only about 40 will be retired next.

There's still plenty of them in service, and some of the retired ones have been around for 15 years already (the same amount of time most of the 1000's lasted) It could be that the retired D60's (not including those that were in accidents) we're in bad condition for them to retire now.

Don't forget some of those 1000's were re-numbered 52/53/54/5500's as well.

The problem with the D60HFs is that they have always been maintenance dogs for some reason. Are the XD60s and LFS articulated buses any better?

They used to be, but haven't been now for at least 5 years. The longer MTA has a bus, the more they learn the ends and outs of it. In this case, part of the New Flyer settlement, then maintenance negotiations at the time they started to work together again on the C40LF order, New Flyer assured that they would support maintenance on the Galaxy until the last bus retired. So essentially, when NFI and MTA cleared the air with each other, shook hands, and put the lawsuit behind them, it literally extended the life of the buses almost immediately.. MTA maintains them quite well, and have full parts support now from New Flyer. The LFSA's are performing pretty well, and the XD's have had some hiccups. The common denominator with the XD's seem to be multiplex issues most of the time. Many of these bus shutdowns and road calls aren't because the bus itself isn't functioning, but the computer is telling the bus that it isn't acting right and needs to shut down. Everything is electronic on that bus. Right down to the transmission that tells it when to shift based on the self calculated passenger load. That's a whole lot going on at once! Lol

2 buses crashed today in the Bronx injuring 17 people all minor. What 2 numbers was involved?

More on it, go to www.nydailynews.com

Most likely KB (artic) buses but no hints to what buses yet.

Edit: one bus looks to be 4712.

Edited by ShadeJay