MTA Bus Operations: Scrapped Equipment List

The TransitMan

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't have any CNG buses in the museum fleet because the CNG tanks expire, right? It would be a PITA to replace it?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

They do have a Command RTS CNG at Spring Creek though.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Yeah but it's only eye candy at this point if barely even functional. Nevermind the fact that replacing tanks are expensive. There's also maintaining the (aging) L10G engine which the MTA hasn't maintained since the '97-'98 LIB Orion V CNGs and lord knows the last time that ex-Command RTS CNG ever started up.

This contrasts to the three Series 50G powered C40LFs that are still preserved for non-Museum fleet purposes with one (as most would know at this point) being used as a functional film prop and the other two for MTA K9 Training. This is thanks to the MTA still maintaining Series 50s in addition to the diesel and NG versions sharing a lot of common parts.

Man how do they bring back 8017, it survived a mattress fire and I'm pretty sure it was serious, the backend was charred af, prob wanted to keep the 2011 series all together.

You mentioned "the mattress" thing. 6 years ago, a fb group posted about it and nearly everyone except me though that this bus was gonna retire, but I turned around and said that it had a warranty.

Is 5299 ever going to get repaired like 8017

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

No one knows yet.

I mean they can fuse the front half of 1205 with the back half of 5299 (see 5656) and make a new bus from that, but it's the MTA we're talking about here.

No one knows yet.

I mean they can fuse the front half of 1205 with the back half of 5299 (see 5656) and make a new bus from that, but it's the MTA we're talking about here.

When did they repair 5656???

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk