MTA Bus Operations: Scrapped Equipment List

The TransitMan

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Autocar said:

Was curious, are the fare boxes different from New York City Transit and MTA Bus ? I always thought that each depot put in their own           fare- boxes. I recall seeing depot initials on the fare-boxes right near their i.d. numbers.  

^^ Not a helpful answer.

There are MTAB boxes and NYCT boxes, though the physical boxes are the same make. The depot initials have been gone for sometime as far as I know, but the division divide between boxes remains. It's the same split with codes--MTAB buses cannot display NYCT codes, which has always been an issue with subway shuttle operations including MTAB division buses. Buses tend to keep a single farebox with them as they bounce around depots within a certain division--sometimes you'll see a B/O scribble "FB #" somewhere on the front bulkhead, which will match up with the current box unless there's a serious malfunction needing a replacement or a division switch.

1 hour ago, James Goodwin said:

They're old 1990s era buses. There's nothing shocking about. Now if it were something newer like 2007 Orion VII hybrids being sent to storage, THEN that will be something.

Actually, there's a lot to be shocked about. NYCT has done everything to keep those final 52xx buses in shape, and Quill personnel have been holding on to them as tightly as they possibly can. Those buses run better than a lot of the newer fleet, and Quill can't even afford to retire too many RTSes given the M66/M72. So I'm curious what the story is on this, and whether or not these aren't just storage moves.

Is it possible for 8126 to be repaired or is it too early to tell? And I don't think CNG's have been sent to storage (Idk) because of their CNG tanks, they have a strict timeline for them to follow, unlike diesel tanks which can hold up longer. It would be a waste to not use a CNG bus because they can only last for so long until they have to be taken off the road.

On 10/29/2017 at 11:38 AM, MysteriousBtrain said:

Storage is nothing new. It could happen to any bus. It can be an oos bus held for repairs or just a bus held onto just in case we need it again. It has nothing to do with age. 

I agree with you on this. age aint nothing but a number

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2017 at 11:54 AM, MysteriousBtrain said:

Btw here's 8126 after the accident a few weeks ago:23120208_1609778402416815_60997899537599

Can be repairable. New doors and new driver equipment and it's all fine and dandy. right side will take some time to do, so let's start there. Left side about a month to do, and she's back on the streets again once she's done her rebuilding process. Oh and BTW: give her a new engine revup.

On 10/29/2017 at 4:42 PM, danielhg121 said:

Is it possible for 8126 to be repaired or is it too early to tell? And I don't think CNG's have been sent to storage (Idk) because of their CNG tanks, they have a strict timeline for them to follow, unlike diesel tanks which can hold up longer. It would be a waste to not use a CNG bus because they can only last for so long until they have to be taken off the road.

As I explained on the previous, It can be rebuild within 6 months. As for 7430, Let Dahlia pay for the damage that it caused that bus to have an accident.  That company should be sued by the MTA for damages caused by their bus.