MTA Bus Operations: Scrapped Equipment List

The TransitMan

21 minutes ago, East New York said:

Note some of RTS’ being retired are going to storage for reserve and (L) Train.

EDIT: Just checked. All will be retired by the end of 2019/January 2020. We are accelerating both Artic options. 

Something tells me the MTA should be careful and cover their bases with the scrapping of those buses that could work as no-farebox reserves for the L shuttle. People are gonna lose their minds once that shuttle starts, and we might see complaints that there aren't enough buses, etc. Anything of that vein is possible. If those artics are late, it's gonna be a mess, and it seems like a big gamble for the MTA to take, given the fact that new orders are often delayed for one reason or another. Those 1999s--best of them at least--could definitely last through 2019/2020, especially if they went through an overhaul program like the 1996s that are still on hand. The lifts killed the 1997s and the bulkheads killed a lot of the 1996s, but these 1998-1999 buses could be of use for a while. Gonna have to pry them out of Quill ops' hands, anyway. Maybe they should play it safe. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Something tells me the MTA should be careful and cover their bases with the scrapping of those buses that could work as no-farebox reserves for the L shuttle. People are gonna lose their minds once that shuttle starts, and we might see complaints that there aren't enough buses, etc. Anything of that vein is possible. If those artics are late, it's gonna be a mess, and it seems like a big gamble for the MTA to take, given the fact that new orders are often delayed for one reason or another. Those 1999s--best of them at least--could definitely last through 2019/2020, especially if they went through an overhaul program like the 1996s that are still on hand. The lifts killed the 1997s and the bulkheads killed a lot of the 1996s, but these 1998-1999 buses could be of use for a while. Gonna have to pry them out of Quill ops' hands, anyway. Maybe they should play it safe. 

I’m still in awe about this “L Shuttle” that they are horsing around these older buses with. Back last year, I read that they was gonna get the Orions from TTC but where did this order went? They don’t really need “breakdown” buses or older buses that has little to no life left in them, then they scrap them to salvage. If the L Shuttle is gonna last a year, any articulated buses in the 5600s & 5700s (the last ones built) should be saved for that particular route. 

On 7/23/2018 at 3:16 PM, MHV9218 said:

I agree 100%. I believe they will keep a few on reserve no matter what's being said now. MTA would have loved to overhaul or rebuild them as they have before in the past, however Cuomo wants them all gone and replaced by low floors for accessibility reasons. Many of them are still being serviced regularly, and will definitely be in service through December 2019. Once 2020 and especially 2021 comes around there will be enough buses to retire them all. If you run the numbers against what we have on order now there will be a small surplus of buses. Then there will be 200 new buses to deploy elsewhere after the (L) tunnels are fixed.

7 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

I’m still in awe about this “L Shuttle” that they are horsing around these older buses with. Back last year, I read that they was gonna get the Orions from TTC but where did this order went? They don’t really need “breakdown” buses or older buses that has little to no life left in them, then they scrap them to salvage. If the L Shuttle is gonna last a year, any articulated buses in the 5600s & 5700s (the last ones built) should be saved for that particular route. 

Not sure exactly what you are talking about anymore. This (L) fleet will have approximately 200 new buses for the shuttle and this discussion has changed several times. The order for 200 buses from TTC was a contingency because MTA did no think there would have enough new buses delivered by next summer to cover the shuttles. It was canceled due to protesting by environmental advocacy groups, and all of our new buses are on revised accelerated delivery schedules.

Any other buses on the shuttle will be used when needed. Out of 200 new buses, I don't see an issue if there is a old bus that pops up here and there. I will be starting an L shuttle thread as soon as more details come in.