Structure Maintainers Thread

bkdirect

Since none of the structure maintainers participate in this forum i will give as much info. As i can for future applicants.

Im currently in training as a structure maintainer group B (masons or SMB) as a provisional worker. if you search my user name or "structure maintainer b" you can read all the info. On my story and how that came about.

I have heard alot about TA and what it means to be a provisional worker for them from TA workers and non workers. Durning one of the orientation days, the person that works for TA (also tells DCAS when they need to hire for certain posistions), He spoke to everyone and explained how provisional works and in a nut shell, you should pass what ever test you have to pass to become permanent. BUT he also said ( and i quote) " I always try to keep provisionals working as opposed to just laying them off because a person on the street has a better score". I can not tell you if thats true or not.

Moving forward, our class has 60 people, which includes structure maintainers B (masons), E (plumbers), G (painters ), ventilator and drainage, and elavator guys.

As of now i believe everyone is permanent except the masons(SMB) and its 28 masons in this class. I know for a fact the plumbers (SME) are all permanent  ( but still on probation for 1 year). They sent in applications 4 years ago and just took their pratical tests between march and may.

Everyones training is 3 weeks long except elavator, ventilator/ drainage guys (which will be an additional 2 or 3 weeks longer).

The first two days were orientation and speaking to union reps. Day 3 was at ps248. Where we were told the do's and dont's ( for the 100th time) and got our boots. Apparently the masons get different boots than everyone else, and all structure guys must get either 6" or 8" boots ( no low cut).

Day 4 we went to west 4th st and got out PPE gear and also helped unload a truck.

Day 5 we went over track safety and took a track safely test. Learned alot about how to navigate through the subway system from the track perspective. Also went over  the principles of flagging.

Took a track safety test that everyone must pass.

Monday we will go on a live track to be track certified. Cant wait to experience that! I know those trains are a totally different beast when standing next to them on the tracks than they are from the platform....

• 2 weeks later...

On monday 6/22. We got track saftey certified. It was cool and and an experience to be on the track and have those monster size trains pass by, at which seems like 2" from your body.

Tues - thurs we covered and got trained for asbestos, EEO  and sexual harassment. The SMB ( masons) also received our pick sheets. So we can pick on Friday.

On Friday morning the SMB's picked and surprisingly there were alot of day jobs available. Tours available were 7am-3pm, 8am-4pm, and 10pm-6am. And unlike other departments the RDO's are either Thurs/Fri, Fri,Sat, Sat/Sun and Sun/Mon, there are no midweek days off ( which is sweet in my opinion).

The available shops ( where we will have to report to) were mostly in the city, with a few in Brooklyn and Queens.

• 2 weeks later...

The plumbers, ventilator and drainage and elavator guys. picked on Mon 6/29

Everyone else had to finish our training on the computers, hearing and conversion etc.

At this time i think everyone is ready to get to their shops and see what the work is going to be about....

Wednesday we got out schedule on future training example fire saftey, fall protection and flagging  ( which will be 9 days, being we have 60 + in our class the flagging was broken down into 6 different classes. And fire safety and fall protection was broken down into 2 separate classes).

School is over now its time to get to our shops and learn the work( The MTA way), first day i get to the station 40 min before my tour began. Had problems finding the shop my first day, its alot of doors on the mezzanine level. It was the station agents first day so he knew just as much as me ( go figure) and hot as hell down there, so between the heat and not wanting to be late my first day, i was dripping sweat like i ran a marathon when i finally found the shop ( 10 min before my tour started smh). The senior guys found that amusing for some reason lol.

First week is over and what im realizing is, the hardest part of this job is the rules and regulations, know your rule book and you are good! There is a rule for everything, every time an accident or incident happens a rule is made ( if it wasnt there already) so imagine 100 + yrs of service  ( thats alot of rules). 

Also dont go against the grain, when things are ( and has been for a while) going a certain way in a shop dont be that guy/girl that tries to change the tide. It will not go well for u. Keep your eyes open be safe as possible. When working on the tracks dont take nothing for granted a mistake can cost you your life.

Also you can put on weight real fast down here, watch how and what u eat.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello i have been reading tour thread since im debating leaving a union job for a provisional spot in transit. Have you been made permanent yet and do you regret taking a provisional spot. Thanks

Sorry im just seeing your reply, to answer your questions. No i still have not been giving the pratical test yet to become permanent( and i cant get a stright answer from anyone about it either).

I have work with talk to some guys that was here almost 4yrs before they received their practical test, and others that came 2 months before the test was giving.

To be honest i have no regrets the money is nothing like the outside on a union scale, i gave up alot of money leaving a solid job. But im more thinking about the future. TA is on a hiring frenzy for trade men. But when they stop there is no telling when they will hire again. I know a guy who said he went almost 7 years with the same list number because they just wasnt hiring.

Ps. I still got my union book open just incase

• 5 months later...

Any information on structure maintainer C? Is this a long term permanent position or short term? 

I got my list number and offer to start class but went with another opportunity which unfortunately did not work out but it was worth a shot. 

I am still eligible for this job. Just need to reinstate my name on the list but not sure how long before next class. They already did the preregistration and drug test so I guess half the battle is done. Just a matter of putting my name back on the list. Thanks for sharing this information. Very helpful. 

Also I am waiting on list to be established for conductor exam 6601. Would becoming a structure maintainer be a problem if I decide to go with conductor?  

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/13/2019 at 8:13 PM, gman said:

Any body knows how long is the interview for structure maintainer b?

Not sure of the length of the interview, they were not giving this type of interviewing when I got hired( i have heard alot of applicants were inexperienced in their perspective trades, not being honest on their applications), so now they are giving an interview.

Archived