Which Routes Deserve Some Artics?

BxM4Woodlawn

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just here to get some opinions. It was announced that the artic order was pushed to include 230 buses with options for 301 more. Now, there are about 295 artic buses with 35 being retired this/next year. So that leaves about 260 to replace. Now, with the main order finished, it would leave around 50 D60s left in service. This would mean that 250 artics will go around and go to some busier routes, most specifically in Queens and Brooklyn. Here's what routes I believe could be fully converted to artics by 2020:

Bx36

B44

B46

B41

B82

B49

Q17

Q27

Q46

Q5

Q85

Just here to get some opinions. It was announced that the artic order was pushed to include 230 buses with options for 301 more. Now, there are about 295 artic buses with 35 being retired this/next year. So that leaves about 260 to replace. Now, with the main order finished, it would leave around 50 D60s left in service. This would mean that 250 artics will go around and go to some busier routes, most specifically in Queens and Brooklyn. Here's what routes I believe could be fully converted to artics by 2020:

Bx36

B44

B46

B41

B82

B49

Q17

Q27

Q46

Q5

Q85

As it stands now, JA and QV cannot fit articulated buses. Part of that might change when JA is rebuilt.

True. I could see the Q27 (returned to CS) and the Q46 (moved to the new JA) running with articulateds.

The Q31 and the Q76 will have to move to QV if the Q27 was to move to CS again. If the Q46 ran out of JA then most likely the Q30 or maybe the Q77 will go to QV.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the bump, just now coming across this thread.

One line that needs artics badly is the M100. There are times where I've seen at least 3-4 buses bunched up on 125th Street. Idk if it's solely an issue of not enough artics available, but they need to work something out with that route because I think out of all the routes on 125th, the 100 gets used the most. I would say give it to TA since they have the most artics, but they've got their hands full with M101/2/3 so I don't think it's gonna happen unfortunately. 

Bx36

B44

B46

B41

B82

B49

Q17

Q27

Q46

Q5

Q85

The B49 does not need artics maybe rush hour only.

Brooklyn: B6 with a reconfigured route, B15, B35, B41, B46, B82

Queens : Q5, Q6, Q17, Q25,/34, Q27, Q31, Q43, Q46, Q58, Q111/113/114

Bronx: Bx36

Maybe adding service first would have helped the Q10 situation. There are other routes in our bus system with better service levels that still have crowding issues. The Q10 could very well have been in line for articulated buses when the next order of them was ready. My point is that they didn't need to run Q10 artics before they needed to get rid of the ones they were scheduled to retire. If the Q10 needed them so bad we could have 40 footers on the Q44 while JFK has the LFSA instead of D60HF. Someone didn't think this through.

Your NOT considering the fact that those D60HF's were a NEW model to JFK and they NEVER worked on them before... Those 99-00 D60s were just done period and JFK further drove them into the ground... Trust they were better off going back to the Bronx

The D60s they have now aren't staying... Those are there to hold it down until they finally accept 5364... It's failed numerous times... From what I've been hearings it's not the same as the first batch of XD60s which are in the Bronx now

MTAB wasn't slated for LFSAs so you can just kill that thought for now

For all you suggesting the Q27 get artics: while I'm not opposed to it, how well would an artic fit on Holly? At times it's hard enough for buses to make the turn from Kissena onto Holly.

Like people said hundreds of times before artics can make the same turns as standards. Yeah I thought the same thing at one point.

Like people said hundreds of times before artics can make the same turns as standards. Yeah I thought the same thing at one point.

^^ this, and like everyone else has said, artics can basically run everywhere that standard buses can except for the 165th Street Terminal for somewhat obvious reasons.

For all you suggesting the Q27 get artics: while I'm not opposed to it, how well would an artic fit on Holly? At times it's hard enough for buses to make the turn from Kissena onto Holly.

While I'm inclined to agree with this, Holly Avenue is also very debatable mostly because of the overhang with those artics. While it's a rather tight turn for 40ft buses, there's a chance that those artics could get stuck.

The Q27 will never have artics not only because it is tight on holly avenue but because those buses will not fit into the queensboro cc terminal stop.

The Q46 will never have artics because the turn around on queens Blvd is too tight for a artic bus.

The Q43 will never have artics because the turn around on 146 street and archer avenue is too tight for artic buses

The Q27 will never have artics not only because it is tight on holly avenue but because those buses will not fit into the queensboro cc terminal stop.

The Q46 will never have artics because the turn around on queens Blvd is too tight for a artic bus.

The Q43 will never have artics because the turn around on 146 street and archer avenue is too tight for artic buses

I'll repeat it again...

The thing is, there are times when the 40 fts can barely turn onto Holly; I've had drivers who've needed to back up a bit to get onto Holly from Kissena. An artic doing it just sounds like asking for trouble.

The DOT will need to redraw the traffic hold line at Kissena and Holly. There is no doubt the Q27 can benefit from artics especially during rush hours with its 3 minute headways.

Q43: No it's not....artics HAVE made that turn before during shuttles. I've seen artics make much tighter turns. 146th and Archer is not tight at all.

Q46: Again, no it's not. They've ran LFS artics on the E and F FASTRACK.

The thing is, there are times when the 40 fts can barely turn onto Holly; I've had drivers who've needed to back up a bit to get onto Holly from Kissena. An artic doing it just sounds like asking for trouble.

And that's where the artic overhang can cause a problem. Artics can make tight turns, but the front and rear overhang can pose a problem, especially if there's a bus waiting to turn off of Holly onto Kissena.

When I drove artic buses in Manhattan the routes were mostly straight. You can't put artic buses on a bus route that has a lot of turns.

It's not a question of can't.  Operators who are properly trained on artics can do some amazing things with them.  One of the bigger issues is visibility at tighter-turn areas.  You still have to make sure the back can sufficiently clear.  And given the free-for-all thinking some pedestrians have, the last thing you need is a split-second of focus lost getting around up front, while some bonehead wants to stand right at the curb and gets clipped at the rear.

Archived