T/O Exam #6704 (Promotion)

jaydubs36

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

That's because the tower operator test is not easy. It assumes you have knowledge of what a tower operator does.

There are handful of things to remember that can help you. Always remember "Signal switch signal" when lining up a train. Meaning take away the signal (make it red), then move the switch, then clear the signal so the train can proceed.

There are also several types of machines in use in towers - GRS, US&S, NX, UR, mini lever, and the computerized tower used at Hudson Yards.

Buddy a tower operator and ask them if they wouldn't mind demonstrating a few things to you before the next test. Most of them are very proud of what they do, even if there aren't as many of them as there used to be, and happy to show you. And while you're at it, see if you can get a photocopy of their induction manual, or look through it and take some notes. Every little bit helps.

Especially when no study materials are provided and one has to resort to backdoor measures. The civil service examination process is supposed to be fair and reasonable. This just sounds to me like they want to take our money for this overpriced exam and not actually hire a soul.

Especially when no study materials are provided and one has to resort to backdoor measures. The civil service examination process is supposed to be fair and reasonable. This just sounds to me like they want to take our money for this overpriced exam and not actually hire a soul.

This is something I find myself saying a lot on this job, and a lot in life. It's not meant as a slight against you personally in the least, so don't take it the wrong way. I really mean this in the best possible way.

You can complain about it, or you can use your new knowledge to your advantage and get a leg up on everyone else.

• 4 months later...

The mta actually extended the life of the current open competitive train operator exam that it is hiring people from until September 2017. As of right now the mta hasn't sent out the scores and list numbers for the promotional train operator exam that we took in January. I was promoted to train operator in April off of the current list that transit is hiring from and from what I've seen so far lots of train operators are retiring and getting ready to retire once a new contract is ratified. I'm pretty sure once transit starts hiring from the promotional exam list it will go through it quickly.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm 225 on the list I have to do medical this Tuesday. And the class will be 28th of this month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congradulations. Are you being hired from the list as a provisional hire or permanent hire from the promotional list?

Congradulations. Are you being hired from the list as a provisional hire or permanent hire from the promotional list?

Thank you very much. Permanent hire from promotional. I look forward to seeing you guys and girls down here. I believe a lot of ppl turned it down. Huge gaps between list numbers here.

Thank you very much. Permanent hire from promotional. I look forward to seeing you guys and girls down here. I believe a lot of ppl turned it down. Huge gaps between list numbers here.

I know some folks decided to take the promotion to Conductor instead of waiting to be called for T/O. I'll have to go down to 180 Livingston and see what's up. So far I haven't received my results from the exam.

Archived