T/O Exam #6704 (Promotion)

jaydubs36

if you current title is a TA  bus operator, you should go for T/O no doubt, because drive a bus is really a hard job now, but if you current title is most higher pay TA job title, and the job is like only work for only 1 or 2 hours, and the another 6 hour is just travel time and comfort time and bullshit time, and  you lose 7000 dollars a year on w-2 due to the voluntary demotion , you should consult with TWU union hall people! !So, I did consult with TWU union hall staff member, and I stay for 2 weeks T/O class, then decide  back to take highest pay job offer. 

train operator is a good job in the TA system, if EMD do not call me, I will stay the T/O class, but after I consult the union leader of headquarter of TWU union . I choose the $37/hour  job offer instead of $32.89/hour .

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone currently in the T/O training. I can assure you in the first 2-3 weeks you'll have a lot of info thrown @ you, it'll make your head spin and think "what did I get myself into?". But the first time they take you out to that train and walk around it and take it down the road most if not all that info starts to make sense. While the training is intense, it is NOT hard. Anyone who has problems either don't commit enough time to study or simply doesn't ask enough questions.

Now while ppl do make mistakes. Those claims about how ppl got into serious trouble for "minor" things are exaggerated. When they call you you'll see what I mean. Like hitting a red signal, now unless there's a malfunction it's impossible bcuz the signal/s before that tells you expect the next one to possibly be red. Doesn't seem minor when looked at that way now does it? Plus it was 3 times on the same line?

And your right RTO has so many promo options I'm amazed. TSS alone has at least 5 different specialties, plus you can be a dispatcher. Coming from surface I find it astounding how much you can be down here. Simply from reading your posts I can tell you'll be just fine down here. I hope I get a chance to run into you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just learn your signals, learn to control the train, and respect the yellows. It's not a hard job. Once you get past the signal exam there should be no excuse for losing your job as a T/O. Keep lineup cards on you in the beginning, eventually that too will become second nature. Too many people trying to be slick getting jammed up w/train control as T/O and getting into trouble. Just control the train and respect the yellows...it's not a hard job, once you pass the signal test.

Just learn your signals, learn to control the train, and respect the yellows. It's not a hard job. Once you get past the signal exam there should be no excuse for losing your job as a T/O. Keep lineup cards on you in the beginning, eventually that too will become second nature. Too many people trying to be slick getting jammed up w/train control as T/O and getting into trouble. Just control the train and respect the yellows...it's not a hard job, once you pass the signal test.

I agree wholeheartedly and of course will do. I don't want to return to surface. I ignore all the negativity working here, but one thing I dislike is our coworkers being so quick to try and talk other co-workers out of trying new positions. Especially when they go on hearsay and other short sighted opinions. I know it shouldn't but it does.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a question about what happens when a list number is reached: Is an applicant's attendence and disciplinary record reviewed immediately and if it is unfavorable are they immediately disqualified, without any notification that their list number was reached? Or does every eligible applicant receive a letter to report to medical automatically when a list number is reached and disqualified from promotion during processing? In other words, will an applicant even be aware that his list number was reached if attendance/disciplinary record disqualifies him or her? I'd like an opportunity to justify why I've used 2/3 of my available sick time, am I allowed this?

I've got a question about what happens when a list number is reached: Is an applicant's attendence and disciplinary record reviewed immediately and if it is unfavorable are they immediately disqualified, without any notification that their list number was reached? Or does every eligible applicant receive a letter to report to medical automatically when a list number is reached and disqualified from promotion during processing? In other words, will an applicant even be aware that his list number was reached if attendance/disciplinary record disqualifies him or her? I'd like an opportunity to justify why I've used 2/3 of my available sick time, am I allowed this?

That's hard to say. I know 2 B/O that took promo test and were both on sick control. One ended up on it from going sick off route too often but got bumped back up over 50% of sick days due to the yearly fresh 12. The other went sick nearly 30 days over the span of 2.5 months and wasn't getting slips. 1st one is in school car right now, the other got passed over. The 2nd one told me he was informed by the superintendent that they reached his number but won't take him as of right now due to how bad his sick time is so he's trying to be "good" for a year and reinstate his name. Now with him I'm unsure if the superintendent approached him or he inquired about it and was informed of his status.

Which superintendent, surface? Or RTO? Also, any updates on which list number they are up to?

Surface superintendent. One specifically assigned to your garage. I don't know list number. When I got called list wasn't certified yet. Found out I was in mid 200s about a month or so after I started school car. Your just gonna have to grab ahold of a schoolcar TO and ask them

I've got a question about what happens when a list number is reached: Is an applicant's attendence and disciplinary record reviewed immediately and if it is unfavorable are they immediately disqualified, without any notification that their list number was reached? Or does every eligible applicant receive a letter to report to medical automatically when a list number is reached and disqualified from promotion during processing? In other words, will an applicant even be aware that his list number was reached if attendance/disciplinary record disqualifies him or her? I'd like an opportunity to justify why I've used 2/3 of my available sick time, am I allowed this

sorry for you, 2/3 sick time is automatic disqualified ! only 15% of sick time has being used, and no disciplinary of any above  one day suspension and including it.  I see many people crying when the depot GS told them disqualified due to bad record

• 2 months later...

I was offered the promotion from Bus Operator to T/O via a phone call this past Friday. Went to Medical yesterday and joined the class that began Monday October 16 today with four other B/O. I strongly advise anyone with a list number to contact DCAS because there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how they are promoting. There are 61 in my class, with list numbers from 9-878. That is an obscene range and confirms that they are promoting out of order, without regard to list number. A fellow B/O in my depot informed me of this last week; that they had skipped over our list numbers (430/520) because the depot wouldn't submit our performance evaluations on time. He had to stay in constant contact with our human resources officer and DCAS to finally get them to communicate and resolve the issue. Now we have to fight to re-establish our seniority over the list numbers that were promoted and have been in schoolcar months ahead of us. 

First impression of training is disappointing, although technically we are in orientation this week and training will begin in earnest once we are split into smaller groups next week. The class is overwhelmingly made up of conductors with only 7 B/O and the TSS are assuming a familiarity with RTO that we do not have. This has put us at a disadvantage early in the training process but I'm hopeful that once we are split into groups next week that will be mitigated. I was also expecting a bit more professionalism and organization in our transfer process; RTO and our depots still aren't communicating and some B/O have been marked AWOL for the past two days at the depot because DCAS or RTO hasn't fully confirmed or certified our promotion. We are also uncertain of our pay rate; most of the B/O have less than 5 years and we aren't at top pay yet and there is confusion surrounding the percentage of the T/O top rate that we will assume. One thing I've learned is that we must stay on top of all of these issues ourselves in order to accelerate a resolution because the HRA component of MTA attaches no priority to anything. 

Anyone who received a list number should contact DCAS immediately; the list was certified at 1,293 I believe and if they are already into the high 800s many many dozens of eligible C/O and B/O have been skipped over!

1 hour ago, thirtydaes said:

I was offered the promotion from Bus Operator to T/O via a phone call this past Friday. Went to Medical yesterday and joined the class that began Monday October 16 today with four other B/O. I strongly advise anyone with a list number to contact DCAS because there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how they are promoting. There are 61 in my class, with list numbers from 9-878. That is an obscene range and confirms that they are promoting out of order, without regard to list number. A fellow B/O in my depot informed me of this last week; that they had skipped over our list numbers (430/520) because the depot wouldn't submit our performance evaluations on time. He had to stay in constant contact with our human resources officer and DCAS to finally get them to communicate and resolve the issue. Now we have to fight to re-establish our seniority over the list numbers that were promoted and have been in schoolcar months ahead of us. 

First impression of training is disappointing, although technically we are in orientation this week and training will begin in earnest once we are split into smaller groups next week. The class is overwhelmingly made up of conductors with only 7 B/O and the TSS are assuming a familiarity with RTO that we do not have. This has put us at a disadvantage early in the training process but I'm hopeful that once we are split into groups next week that will be mitigated. I was also expecting a bit more professionalism and organization in our transfer process; RTO and our depots still aren't communicating and some B/O have been marked AWOL for the past two days at the depot because DCAS or RTO hasn't fully confirmed or certified our promotion. We are also uncertain of our pay rate; most of the B/O have less than 5 years and we aren't at top pay yet and there is confusion surrounding the percentage of the T/O top rate that we will assume. One thing I've learned is that we must stay on top of all of these issues ourselves in order to accelerate a resolution because the HRA component of MTA attaches no priority to anything. 

Anyone who received a list number should contact DCAS immediately; the list was certified at 1,293 I believe and if they are already into the high 800s many many dozens of eligible C/O and B/O have been skipped over!

This makes me very upset, as I am somewhere in the 300’s who have yet to get called.  This is a seniority based job. If this is true do we have any options to get what little seniority we will have back? 

Yes, there are options and there is time to pursue them during schoolcar. Your list number will still determine your seniority for picking A or B division. We won't be posting jobs for months though, and those are determined by seniority. Contact Michelle Vargas at: 347.643.8218 ASAP and if you're a B/O go to the general's office and make sure that your performance evaluation has been requested and submitted. The next schoolcar class begins November 27, from what I was told. 

• +Young+ changed the title to T/O Exam #6704 (Promotion)
On 10/17/2017 at 6:39 PM, thirtydaes said:

Imagine if your coming from the street.  it's a foreign language that only exists in RTO.

Archived