Jamaica Section Subway Changes

Edgar

Hi Guys. As I went t Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer in Jamaica, I saw a curved tunnel on the (E)dgar line and a Straight tunnel on the (J)ames and (Z)uchini line (just made the names for fun). I've been thinking about this last night, but there should be an extension to southern Jamaica on the (E) and an Eastern Extension on the (J)(Z) line. from Jamaica Center to N. Boundary Rd. on the (E), and to Francis Lewis Blvd and Jamaica Ave. on the (J)(Z). It is optional but I want you guys to decide if the (E) should continue on to Termial 5-JFK Airport. Also since the (F)' s last stop has tunnels that extend to 184 St, and it has 2 levels of 4 tracks, maybe the (F) and (R) line should serve those 2 levels and Extend to Sprinfield Blvd-Queens Village on the (F) and to Fort Totten on the (R). What do you guys think of this? Comments and answers are welcome.:)(E)(D)(G)(A)(R)

Well the original intent of the Archer Ave Subway was to serve Southeast Queens, the stations that currently exist was just phase one of the project, which is why the tracks continue past the station...it was originally intended to continue to Springfield Blvd via the LIRR Atlantic Branch ROW. The lower level (J) line was intended to be eventually extended to Hollis.

There also has been talk in the past of extending the (F) to 212 street, Springfield Blvd and even Little East Neck Pk but that was never set in stone

The Archer Ave Subway in all reality is a project that was never 100% completed which is why Jamaica Center has the problems it has today as functioning as a terminal for the (E) line (During Rush Hrs)....it was never meant to be a permanent terminal

Its sad because...when the Archer Ave Subway finally opened it was only part (2 miles) of what was actually supposed to be completed and about a good 8 to 10 years late....hopefully the line will reach Southeast Queens someday

Archived