Nikon 28mm f/2.8

Joe

I've been thinking about picking this lens up as a fast yet wide prime. I've got a 50mm f/1.8 and a 35mm f/2, but both of these are pretty unwide. Taking into account for crop factor (Nikon is 1.5x for DX sensors), that 50mm is more like a 75mm, the 35mm is more like an 52.5mm, and lastly the 28mm would be 42mm.

Anyone use this lens (especially underground, that's why I want something fairly fast) and can comment on sharpness, coma, CA, etc...?

I've been thinking about picking this lens up as a fast yet wide prime. I've got a 50mm f/1.8 and a 35mm f/2, but both of these are pretty unwide. Taking into account for crop factor (Nikon is 1.5x for DX sensors), that 50mm is more like a 75mm, the 35mm is more like an 52.5mm, and lastly the 28mm would be 42mm.

Anyone use this lens (especially underground, that's why I want something fairly fast) and can comment on sharpness, coma, CA, etc...?

IMO 35 to 28 isn't that dramatic a change. I'd suggest a Nikkor 20mm f2.8 that you can get at KEH.com* for around or under $300 used. That equates to 30mm with crop factor, a bona fide wide angle. Shoot wide open at 2.8 at ISO 800 and you should do quite well with moving trains.

Another option is a Sigma 20mm F1.8; I used to own this lens and was pleased by its sharpness at around f2 and up. I sold it to fund another purchase and regret selling it. It's also a full frame lens, something that I need now that I'm a full framer :(

* No connection other than being a satisfied customer; they underrate their stuff so when they say it's excellent it's like it's brand new.:(

You were exactly the reply I was looking for, Fred. Thank you. :-) You have a D3/D700 now?

I'm not so sure about Sigma lenses. I've heard that the optics are good but the case that the lens is in (all the plastic around it) is cheaply built. I assume you've had experience with the Nikkor 20mm? If so, how did it perform?

I've not personally used the Nikkor 20mm nor the other 2 sisters, 24 and 28 but am basing my opinion on reviews and samples I've seen. BTW, if you haven't, check out http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon. There's just about every Nikon camera and lens featured with many, many samples. I also see sample photos posted at the Nikon Cafe forum.

Sigma has come a long way since the bad old days but I'd agree that there really is nothing like a proprietary lens, be it Nikon or Canon, in terms of machining and total lens package. The Nikon 20 f2.8 is smaller and lighter than than the Sigma 20 plus the Sig requires an 82mm filter (forgot to mention that, sorry).

I just picked up a D700 and I'm still getting chummy with it, but I think it's the one for me :rolleyes:

SINCE WHEN?!?

Ok, so which camera or cameras did you get rid of for the D700?

I got a deal on one so I picked it up week before last, and haven't gotten rid of anything yet, but would like to find homes for the other 2 cams and a couple of lenses -_-

Archived