Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all,

So I called yesterday the MTA employment number to see what number they have hired up to. How come they still say 898? There's a class that started 12/31 but they have not updated their information. I spoke to a man, I don't remember his name.

Any insight as to what number they have hired up to?

I am number 16XX, should I be expecting anything coming in the mail or through email?

On 1/9/2019 at 2:24 AM, V6viii said:

Sooo I took my opa exam in May of 2018 how come I haven’t heard any thing yet my list number is 33##

You're about 3xs away from the number they are up to. It's gonna take some time. Relax and check this forum for updates where they are up to. 

On 1/10/2019 at 11:08 AM, Emme0403 said:

Hey all,

So I called yesterday the MTA employment number to see what number they have hired up to. How come they still say 898? There's a class that started 12/31 but they have not updated their information. I spoke to a man, I don't remember his name.

Any insight as to what number they have hired up to?

I am number 16XX, should I be expecting anything coming in the mail or through email?

geez, mta is so slow!  patience, patience, i know you want a job with good pay and benefit but government jobs are very hard too get in. once vacanies  occurred , the list will move faster.

my list number is farther than you, :(

13XXX

1 hour ago, Sixgvd94 said:

Grateful to say that im 3 weeks into schoolcar but be mindful that it isnt a walk in the park, lateness isn’t tolerated and you gotta study whatever they give you, anyone did the midterm and oratocal as yet? 

Did they give you the option to pick your division?

1 hour ago, Sixgvd94 said:

Grateful to say that im 3 weeks into schoolcar but be mindful that it isnt a walk in the park, lateness isn’t tolerated and you gotta study whatever they give you, anyone did the midterm and oratocal as yet? 

Its going by fast right? U'll be posting soon... then ull be all alone on the train wishing u were back in schoolcar. Midterm is easy just study!! 

2 minutes ago, Janelleeac said:

Its going by fast right? U'll be posting soon... then ull be all alone on the train wishing u were back in schoolcar. Midterm is easy just study!! 

Are you on the job already? If so can you let me know what your scheduling is like on a day to day basis?

1 hour ago, nickynick86 said:

Are you on the job already? If so can you let me know what your scheduling is like on a day to day basis?

Yeah , im AMs but i dnt have a picked job so everyday i come in at a different time. I know what time i start some days idk when i finish. Like when im on board, and have no job for the day . 

2 hours ago, Janelleeac said:

Yeah , im AMs but i dnt have a picked job so everyday i come in at a different time. I know what time i start some days idk when i finish. Like when im on board, and have no job for the day . 

Wow thanks for sharing this is the part that scares me the most. I’ve heard in the beginning it’s tough when you first start until you’re able to start picking decent jobs. 

27 minutes ago, nickynick86 said:

Wow thanks for sharing this is the part that scares me the most. I’ve heard in the beginning it’s tough when you first start until you’re able to start picking decent jobs. 

Basically,  for the first year,  you are Extra Extra (XX).  That means they schedule you where needed according to the tour you have.    You can have a road job one day,  platform the next then on board the day after that.   You get your schedule three days ahead.   When you Cal the crew office,  they have your next three days scheduled.  BTW,  when you are in Board,  don't expect to get home when you think you will. I once had a 16:00 report at 207th on board with an clear time of midnight. 30 mins before I cleared I picked up at platform job and had to report to Bedford park where the job didn't clear till 6am. 

23 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Basically,  for the first year,  you are Extra Extra (XX).  That means they schedule you where needed according to the tour you have.    You can have a road job one day,  platform the next then on board the day after that.   You get your schedule three days ahead.   When you Cal the crew office,  they have your next three days scheduled.  BTW,  when you are in Board,  don't expect to get home when you think you will. I once had a 16:00 report at 207th on board with an clear time of midnight. 30 mins before I cleared I picked up at platform job and had to report to Bedford park where the job didn't clear till 6am. 

I really appreciate you shining some light on the scheduling for me. So you basically can be on board all day and at the last minute pick up a job that’s crazy!! But I guess it’s a sacrifice you have to make for the job that you want. 

Far Rock Depot, Thanks for the insight you provided, I am still waiting and for my results but took the OPA in April. I am list 35XX so I prob have some time to go. With all that great info you provided can you give me an idea on how much OT you are actually getting, or what is usually available for newcomers. If they add an unexpected shift for you are they taking another one away?  I am trying to determine what the average 1st or 2nd year Conductor can actually earn per year when you start out with night diff and OT. I want to be able to weigh that when I get called to decide if it will work for me . I have heard a lot of confusing info, (no OT for new hires,... a lot of OT...etc etc..) . I know the hourly rate but what can you really expect to earn when you start?

Thanks!!

10 minutes ago, Ador said:

Far Rock Depot, Thanks for the insight you provided, I am still waiting and for my results but took the OPA in April. I am list 35XX so I prob have some time to go. With all that great info you provided can you give me an idea on how much OT you are actually getting, or what is usually available for newcomers. If they add an unexpected shift for you are they taking another one away?  I am trying to determine what the average 1st or 2nd year Conductor can actually earn per year when you start out with night diff and OT. I want to be able to weigh that when I get called to decide if it will work for me . I have heard a lot of confusing info, (no OT for new hires,... a lot of OT...etc etc..) . I know the hourly rate but what can you really expect to earn when you start?

Thanks!!

As far as OT goes, you can do as much as you want. People advised me not to do ot during my first year while on probation because it increases the chance that you could get in trouble, especially if you're tired and not paying attention. After reaching 6 months (though I could've started much earlier) I decided to work one of my weekend days off if there are jobs available that I want to do. Since I've started working 6 days a week, I've increased my pay by $400 a paycheck which is pretty substantial imho. So I average $1700 a paycheck now after taxes doing the maximum amount of overtime allowed, all during my first year.

13 minutes ago, Ador said:

Thanks!!

It's kind of hit or miss.  First,  some jobs are called 'penalty jobs". These are jobs that are more than 8 hours and have OT built in.  Then there's what can happen  when you are on board. If you pick up a partial job while on board, OT becomes what you worked past your clear time.  If you pick up a full job,  what ever time you were on the Board becomes OT. It's really too much of a variable to figure out how much exactly you'll make a year when your XX because every-day is different.  As far as "no OT for new hires", I'm not sure if that's true.  If it is,  I'm assuming that means there's no option to work on one of your days off.  Someone else here may be able to give the exact details on that.  But in all honesty, during your first year,  keep your RDOs (Regular Days Off). 

Hey All 

I’m a bit confused with following the thread. I’m list number 26XX and I haven’t even taken OPA, but I see list number 3XXX has taken OPA months ago and waiting for results. Is it something to be concerned about? Do they do OPA in list number order? Should I be calling to see if I got skipped or something?

Also I heard this should be the year to get called being that conductors are retiring at a fast rate this year. Is this true or just another rumor?

Thanks Everyone 

6 hours ago, DoughShad said:

Hey All 

I’m a bit confused with following the thread. I’m list number 26XX and I haven’t even taken OPA, but I see list number 3XXX has taken OPA months ago and waiting for results. Is it something to be concerned about? Do they do OPA in list number order? Should I be calling to see if I got skipped or something?

Also I heard this should be the year to get called being that conductors are retiring at a fast rate this year. Is this true or just another rumor?

Thanks Everyone 

I'm 29xx and took the OPA in November 2017, got my results in March 2018

14 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Great questions and answers. Ver informative. So first few years sounds like not that much money available. 

On the contrary,  quite the opposite.  The 16 hour a day limit and only working one out of two days off is across the board.  It's actually law. And given that you'll Br all over the system,  youll actually be making good money since everyday will be different. If you pick a job for six months-the length of one "pick" and pick nothing but 8 hour jobs,  that's what you'll be getting barring any delays that may have you clear late where as an extra extra,  you could get an 8 hour job one day,  a penaty job(more than 8 with OT built in)  the next,  then the day after can be on board for 7 hours then pick up a full 8 hour job that turns your 7 hours on board into OT.  

18 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

On the contrary,  quite the opposite.  The 16 hour a day limit and only working one out of two days off is across the board.  It's actually law. And given that you'll Br all over the system,  youll actually be making good money since everyday will be different. If you pick a job for six months-the length of one "pick" and pick nothing but 8 hour jobs,  that's what you'll be getting barring any delays that may have you clear late where as an extra extra,  you could get an 8 hour job one day,  a penaty job(more than 8 with OT built in)  the next,  then the day after can be on board for 7 hours then pick up a full 8 hour job that turns your 7 hours on board into OT.  

OK here's my dilemma and ima go to the pre employment most probably when it's my turn. I'm at this moment earning $30.40 per hr as of July I go up to almost $32 per hr. Conductor starts at $22.50 or so. Overtime for me is after 35 hrs night time differential is $1.50 more from 8am-6am. I get free food at work. Decent food actually. Health insurance covered by union dues of $50 per biweekly paycheck. Last yr at $26.75 until late December and $26 until July I earned at base rate $81,500. If I would've been at max rate which I get Dec 2020 or if I leave and go to another Hotel property now my rate will be $37.70 or so. 

The only however big reason for me to join Mta is their pension my unions pension is trash at $1250 per mo after 20 yrs I believe. 

I have a tough decision to make. Anyway if I was to stay on the same pace as last yr at my rate I would earn around $93k. 

Can I make at least $75k per yr first yr while having somewhat of a life. I can't really afford my costs if earn less than $75k. 

Thanks Farrock I think we've spoken before. 

2 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

OK here's my dilemma and ima go to the pre employment most probably when it's my turn. I'm at this moment earning $30.40 per hr as of July I go up to almost $32 per hr. Conductor starts at $22.50 or so. Overtime for me is after 35 hrs night time differential is $1.50 more from 8am-6am. I get free food at work. Decent food actually. Health insurance covered by union dues of $50 per biweekly paycheck. Last yr at $26.75 until late December and $26 until July I earned at base rate $81,500. If I would've been at max rate which I get Dec 2020 or if I leave and go to another Hotel property now my rate will be $37.70 or so. 

The only however big reason for me to join Mta is their pension my unions pension is trash at $1250 per mo after 20 yrs I believe. 

I have a tough decision to make. Anyway if I was to stay on the same pace as last yr at my rate I would earn around $93k. 

Can I make at least $75k per yr first yr while having somewhat of a life. I can't really afford my costs if earn less than $75k. 

Thanks Farrock I think we've spoken before. 

I think 75k is possible. I made 70k at my last job and pretty sure now that I'm working 6 days a week, I'm on track to make more. Also after a year, your pay will increase. For the next 5 years, until you hit max pay, and/or there's a new contract. Downside is, are you okay with having to work 6 days a week for it? I don't have much a life and am okay with that lol.