Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

31 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

OK here's my dilemma and ima go to the pre employment most probably when it's my turn. I'm at this moment earning $30.40 per hr as of July I go up to almost $32 per hr. Conductor starts at $22.50 or so. Overtime for me is after 35 hrs night time differential is $1.50 more from 8am-6am. I get free food at work. Decent food actually. Health insurance covered by union dues of $50 per biweekly paycheck. Last yr at $26.75 until late December and $26 until July I earned at base rate $81,500. If I would've been at max rate which I get Dec 2020 or if I leave and go to another Hotel property now my rate will be $37.70 or so. 

The only however big reason for me to join Mta is their pension my unions pension is trash at $1250 per mo after 20 yrs I believe. 

I have a tough decision to make. Anyway if I was to stay on the same pace as last yr at my rate I would earn around $93k. 

Can I make at least $75k per yr first yr while having somewhat of a life. I can't really afford my costs if earn less than $75k. 

Thanks Farrock I think we've spoken before. 

As was stated above,  you can basically forget about having a life the first year or two. You'll be working for transit. Transit will be your life the first year or two. 

Overtime is anything after 8 hours a day. And even jobs that have only one trip  you get atleast 8 hours pay.  

Also as stated above,  it may be possible.  But you'll most likely be working 6 days a week and what jobs you get leaves you at the mercy of the Crew Office,  who schedules your jobs. You don't get free lunch,  but you'll never have to but a metrocard. 

In the end,  it all comes down to what's best for you.   Personally,  I could hit the lotto and still be a C/R cause I loved being a C/R. But as far as you're own personal finances,  it's ultimately uo to you what you want to do.   You'll top out at about $28 an hour or something like that and you can always take promotional tests to a position with more pay-like Train Operator,  Towers,  Assistant Dispatcher,  etc.   

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know the best way to find out when you might be called. Is there a phone number or person to call. I’m am concerned since I took the OPA in April and have not heard anything . Anyone else on this board take the Opa in April s s get your results? 

1 hour ago, Ador said:

Does anyone know the best way to find out when you might be called. Is there a phone number or person to call. I’m am concerned since I took the OPA in April and have not heard anything . Anyone else on this board take the Opa in April s s get your results? 

There is a number but you'll never get through. Just follow this thread for updates from people like yourself.

35 minutes ago, DoughShad said:

See that’s what I’m talking about, does that mean they possibly looked over me? I’m. 26XX and haven’t gotten anything 

No it doesn't mean they overlooked you. When I went for my OPA.  The supervisor there told us. The computer uses the scores, list number and a part of your SS# to send the opa invites. I am list # 12**. I took the OPA in May of 2017. At that time I had people there with list #'s of 4k.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:05 PM, Nyctransitorhotels said:

OK here's my dilemma and ima go to the pre employment most probably when it's my turn. I'm at this moment earning $30.40 per hr as of July I go up to almost $32 per hr. Conductor starts at $22.50 or so. Overtime for me is after 35 hrs night time differential is $1.50 more from 8am-6am. I get free food at work. Decent food actually. Health insurance covered by union dues of $50 per biweekly paycheck. Last yr at $26.75 until late December and $26 until July I earned at base rate $81,500. If I would've been at max rate which I get Dec 2020 or if I leave and go to another Hotel property now my rate will be $37.70 or so. 

The only however big reason for me to join Mta is their pension my unions pension is trash at $1250 per mo after 20 yrs I believe. 

I have a tough decision to make. Anyway if I was to stay on the same pace as last yr at my rate I would earn around $93k. 

Can I make at least $75k per yr first yr while having somewhat of a life. I can't really afford my costs if earn less than $75k. 

Thanks Farrock I think we've spoken before. 

I think you should stay put. Invest the difference in pay into a 401k (if it's offered at your job) or a roth IRA (if your job doesn't offer 401k). I say this assuming your current quality of life now is much better than it will be at transit for the 1st few years.

6 hours ago, Bmpo7 said:

I think you should stay put. Invest the difference in pay into a 401k (if it's offered at your job) or a roth IRA (if your job doesn't offer 401k). I say this assuming your current quality of life now is much better than it will be at transit for the 1st few years.

My job actually offers 401k matches max 4%. However if hoy accept the pension you can't get the matching 401k. 

So I do have an IRA Roth acct I set up last tax season. 

7 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

My job actually offers 401k matches max 4%. However if hoy accept the pension you can't get the matching 401k. 

So I do have an IRA Roth acct I set up last tax season. 

I would definitely stay put then. You said hotel right? Quality of life sounds so much better than transit.

On 1/17/2019 at 5:03 PM, Ador said:

On 1/17/2019 at 8:07 PM, Ador said:

If anyone is able to post a name or number to get a statis number it would be appreciated 

Besides a phone number, how about a website?

If you check out the NYC Open Data Civil Service List Certification page, type "06601" in the search box on the top right and if you put the certification sequence numbers in ascending order (it might take some "trial and error" if it's your first time on the website), you'll see those who are probably and most likely going to be called first, along with their list numbers, respectively. Just look for the information with a request date  of 1/18/2019, respectively.

Good luck everyone!! My list number for this exam is 4,7**, therefore they have a way to go before they get to me (in addition to the 1-in-3 bull**it rule, respectively).