Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

i dont necessarily think they will finish the complete list but they will call from 8094 until Feb of 2018 and then im assuming they will call from promo and then 6601. this is all my educated guess from what i been reading on past posts.

ill make a crazy assumption and this is just me hoping for the best, maybe they will call both promo and 8094 the same time and they will both expire feb of 2018 and then maybe call us after, just me trying to give myself some hope and the rest of us lol, but just thinking out loud.

if anyone else with more experience, please add your 2 cents.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont necessarily think they will finish the complete list but they will call from 8094 until Feb of 2018 and then im assuming they will call from promo and then 6601. this is all my educated guess from what i been reading on past posts.

ill make a crazy assumption and this is just me hoping for the best, maybe they will call both promo and 8094 the same time and they will both expire feb of 2018 and then maybe call us after, just me trying to give myself some hope and the rest of us lol, but just thinking out loud.

if anyone else with more experience, please add your 2 cents.

My thinking is online with yours. I've read some posts in the 8094 thread and it seems like they're doing mixed classes.

I recently emailed the nyct exams unit and they told me they expect to establish 6601 in one

year. You guys should give a shot and see what they say, my email about 2 weeks ago.

If they tell you the same thing they told me then I'll start to have doubts about the validity of that chief article.

It just doesn't make sense to me that they'd continue to call from the bottom of the barrel of applicants from 8094 when they have two lists ready with potential new hires that scored higher, along with the fact that they're increasing the qualifications for the title and they're having issues with the applicants from the Train Operator exam.

Guys, just email the exams unit and see what they say. I'd be more inclined to believe what they say (the source) rather than what some newspaper article states. This "news" seems irritating at face value, but I'm really questioning the validity of it and won't get upset over it until I know it's true.

Also keep in mind transit is handling the exam process themselves now, which is why we haven't and won't receive our official scores for a while. Again, try contacting the exams unit. If they tell you like they've told me then we *may* not have that much of a longer wait.

My thinking is online with yours. I've read some posts in the 8094 thread and it seems like they're doing mixed classes.

I recently emailed the nyct exams unit and they told me they expect to establish 6601 in one

year. You guys should give a shot and see what they say, my email about 2 weeks ago.

If they tell you the same thing they told me then I'll start to have doubts about the validity of that chief article.

It just doesn't make sense to me that they'd continue to call from the bottom of the barrel of applicants from 8094 when they have two lists ready with potential new hires that scored higher, along with the fact that they're increasing the qualifications for the title and they're having issues with the applicants from the Train Operator exam.

when was it that you called and they said they will establish the list in a year?

Edited by niku

I hope I don't have to do with this one what I did with Sanitation. Scored above 100 and had to forget about it; not high enough.

The trick, from what I was taught, was to not put all of your eggs in one basket. In addition to taking this examination, I'm also on the list for Track Worker (3600), Bus Operator (4600), I just recently applied to the Transit Management Analyst Trainee position (7606), and I'm on the list for three [3] other lists thru DCAS for other positions, respectively. I also plan on applying to the three [3] Bus Operator examinations which "hopefully" will be open for filing starting on March 3rd until June 27th, as per this page, in addition to the Traffic Checker position as well.

My advice: Just need to keep trying, try to apply for everything you can and have patience...

hey everyone who took the 6601,

As per the exams unit i emailed yesterday, I received this reply;

"Yes, the old conductor exam was extended.

Your official results and list number for the Conductor, Exam # 6601 will be mailed to you when the list is established. Given the large number of participants (45,000), it may take a year or two."

Frustrating and disappointing.

I think for anyone who wants to get into Transit anytime soon you should consider taking the upcoming bus operator exams. Bus operator exams move very fast, constant classes.

I'm going to plan to work elsewhere and then see where I am when/if they call my number in 5+ years.

Yeah it looks like you will need a perfect score of no more than one wrong to get a call on this test

I understand your viewpoint totally, but I slightly disagree. There's no way all 45k applicants passed this exam. Maybe 35-41k give or take a thousand. With all of those who pass and scored very high how many of those people will have better paying jobs or simply  lost interest in this position by the time their list # is reached? Out of all of civil service exams I've taken this is the exam that I've scored the highest on (1 wrong) but if I were to get called for another position before if or when the MTA reaches my # I certainly would take it, but I'd resign if  or when the TA eventually contacts me because I love trains and being a Train Operator is something that I've always wanted to do since I was a kid so I'd happily take a pay cut just to do what I love. With that said, we're in tough economic times and I doubt the majority of the people on this list feel the same as I do and would take the paycut to follow their dream and I don't knock them for it.

If I had to guess I'd say you should be ok with no more than 2-3 wrong, *maybe* 4 but that may be pushing it. Then again, we didn't see them extending 8094 at the last minute, so who's to say they won't do the same for 6601?

I'm certainly just as frustrated as you, Niku, Matt, and everyone else about this news. It's ridiculous that people who could barely pass a simple reading comprehension exam keep getting a million chances when you have current employees and outsiders who scored higher waiting. Excuse the rant, it's not my intention to be condescending or judgmental towards anyone, just frustrated and apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way.  I'm going to try and link this quote from someone much more knowledgeable than me who expresses the point I was trying to convey much better. 

I have nothing against anyone who comes down here, is humble, learns their job, and does the best they can. You are reading way more into my post than is there. My post is based on experience and observing patterns over the years. I will explain below.

Many of the younger conductors who have aspirations of moving up were unable to take the exam back in 2009 since they didn't have the necessary education/work experience at the time of the exam. Many just missed the cut.

My issue is largely with exam timing. They don't give the exams as often as they used to, and they run these lists so deep due to the large number of applicants. Take train operator, for example. 25000 people filed for the exam. Of that, only about 14000 were able to achieve a bare minimum passing score of 70 in a test that only involved the ability to read and write in English, and to perform basic addition and subtraction. Of those, historically only 3000 could bet they would get called. This time around, they will probably be at 3000 before the year end with no announcement of a new exam coming, when the last exam was more than 5 years ago. Likewise, no conductor exam has been announced. There are plenty of people outside Transit who might like the chance to take an open competitive exam to become a conductor.

Historically, as the list numbers hired go up (lower test scores), actual job performance often goes down. To the point that Transit actually will kill off the list if the quality of applicants for the position get so low. We are not at that point yet for Train Operators, but it is approaching.

Keep in mind, this also means recognizing that there is a turnaround time of approximately 18 months from start to finish for a new exam to go to active list. The test must be announced, with a filing period in advance of the exam date, then following the exam date, an appeals period plus time to grade and rank applicants, totalling about a year and a half from test announcement to eligible list finalized and awaiting certification. With the current projections for hiring and needs, this list projects to go into the 4000's as far as numbers hired. At that point you are now hiring people who achieved a score of less than 90 on an exam regarding basic reading writing and arithmetic. The quality of employee that gets hired diminishes significantly at that point.

Not only does giving a new exam give those conductors/other eligible titles a chance to move up, it also gives smart, motivated outsiders the chance to excel on the test with a high score and get down here that much sooner. That's what I'm getting at. Plus allowing conductors to move up also allows high scoring outsiders the chance to get jobs as conductors if an exam were announced for that title as well.

That said, I do think it is important that Train Operators, no matter where they come from, be properly familiarized with the duties of a Conductor. I honestly think it would be a good idea if Train Operators, before they ever moved a train, went through Conductor schoolcar and even posted lines in their subdivision, before learning to move trains. You might think this is excessive, but you'd be surprised how many Train Operators don't know (or refuse) to troubleshoot door problems. And this sort of thing does come back to haunt Transit - less than a year ago you had a class of TSS's where FOUR had to be sent back to their former titles because they couldn't properly cut out a door.

I have nothing against any previous titles, or anyone who doesn't have them, but the main thing is you have to be qualified to do the job you are doing, and smart enough to learn the material necessary to do it. If Transit waits more than a year to give the next T/O and C/R exams, mark my words, you will see a significant decline in the quality of new hires. Everyone's safety, from the public, to our own coworkers, depends on people knowing their jobs. I mean do you really want to be troubleshooting something on the roadbed having told someone "Do not move this train until you hear from me" which is interpreted as "well the indication came in, so problem solved, let's move"? It is to Transit's benefit, and all of ours down here as well, to hire only the best performers from every list, and to give tests frequently enough that the pool of talent is continually replenished. A lot of people with a lot of knowledge about how this place runs are leaving in all titles. Who will replace them? The best and brighest new hires Transit can get? Or just anyone who passed the test.

From SubwayGuy, spot on.

Edited by Jchambers2120

I understand your viewpoint totally, but I slightly disagree. There's no way all 45k applicants passed this exam. Maybe 35-41k give or take a thousand. With all of those who pass and scored very high how many of those people will have better paying jobs or simply lost interest in this position by the time their list # is reached? Out of all of civil service exams I've taken this is the exam that I've scored the highest on (1 wrong) but if I were to get called for another position before if or when the MTA reaches my # I certainly would take it, but I'd resign if or when the TA eventually contacts me because I love trains and being a Train Operator is something that I've always wanted to do since I was a kid so I'd happily take a pay cut just to do what I love. With that said, we're in tough economic times and I doubt the majority of the people on this list feel the same as I do and would take the paycut to follow their dream and I don't knock them for it.

If I had to guess I'd say you should be ok with no more than 2-3 wrong, *maybe* 4 but that may be pushing it. Then again, we didn't see them extending 8094 at the last minute, so who's to say they won't do the same for 6601?

I'm certainly just as frustrated as you, Niku, Matt, and everyone else about this news. It's ridiculous that people who could barely pass a simple reading comprehension exam keep getting a million chances when you have current employees and outsiders who scored higher waiting. Excuse the rant, it's not my intention to be condescending or judgmental towards anyone, just frustrated and apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'm going to try and link this quote from someone much more knowledgeable than me who expresses the point I was trying to convey much better.

From SubwayGuy, spot on.

wow. well said subway guy.