Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, 123melvin said:

I guess so. He took the test back in 2010. He had to do everything the letter is telling us to do. Maybe because he non promo. Could be?.

That's the thing,we only took the test last year, MTA makes people wait minimum 3 years to actually hire, from what I have seen. Its incredible if we would be starting the process right now.

1 minute ago, Smrch said:

That's the thing,we only took the test last year, MTA makes people wait minimum 3 years to actually hire, from what I have seen. Its incredible if we would be starting the process right now.

Hey you never know. Maybe it could be that they have exhausted the first test. Also alot of people could have taken the test on 15 like us. They could have moved and not updated info. But i can tell you that are hiring like crazy. I have a friend that took track worker. They told him they need to hire 600 in a hurry. They even pulled him out of training early. Got shifts already. He did 15 hrs ot first week. With a big focus on mta and money coming in from city and State.  They want to show they are doing something about it. Still good to get a letter after almost 3 yrs. One step closer. 

2 hours ago, Physcoles said:

How do you know if you failed a drug test? Do you get a letter in the mail stating such thing?

Good question.  I have no experience in that.  If you think you will test dirty, then don't take the test (pre-employment) until you can clean yourself up and stay clean.

Took my OPA this morning. Like previously stated there's two parts. Don't want to get accused of cheating so I'm not going into specific detail. Sorry.  

Overall I felt like I did good. A little nervous about what they're grading us on for the 2nd part, but Jake gave me some clarity. The monitor did say that our results will be mailed to us, but she didn't say when. Hopefully we get it next month.

Tip: When you get off the elevator on the 4th floor make sure you're one of the first people on the line when they tell you to line up and show your money order. If not have fun waiting for everyone else to finish their oral exam while you wait bored to death lol.

11 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Took my OPA this morning. Like previously stated there's two parts. Don't want to get accused of cheating so I'm not going into specific detail. Sorry.  

Overall I felt like I did good. A little nervous about what they're grading us on for the 2nd part, but Jake gave me some clarity. The monitor did say that our results will be mailed to us, but she didn't say when. Hopefully we get it next month.

Tip: When you get off the elevator on the 4th floor make sure you're one of the first people on the line when they tell you to line up and show your money order. If not have fun waiting for everyone else to finish their oral exam while you wait bored to death lol.

That is good. I read that they dismissed a whole conductor class because MTA found out 1 person got the saftey test answers and shared it. So they got rid of the whole class. 

Just now, Settlon said:

Question: What is the exact titling as to who we address the $25 Money Order to?

"MTA NYC Transit Authority?"

Do not fill it out. They'll tell you what to write. 

I went this morning and the guy told us to write our home address in the pay to section. That turned out to be wrong obviously lol. I don't feel very confident about the testing today and I normally test very well :/

21 hours ago, Schecter said:

How about in terms of the OPA that some people are getting and that some people aren't getting?

In terms of the OPA it's def the top portion of the list. They probably have the list but it hasn't been made public yet. So OPA letters are in response to the "unofficial" list which not only goes by final score, but also by ss# 

4 hours ago, adorkasherri said:

Do not fill it out. They'll tell you what to write. 

I went this morning and the guy told us to write our home address in the pay to section. That turned out to be wrong obviously lol. I don't feel very confident about the testing today and I normally test very well :/

True, do not fill it out! The instructors will walk you thru. They were very helpful with any questions or concerns. 

Adorkasherri - I was there today as well (I think I can guess who you are btw). 

9 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

What is there to be nervous about if English is your first language? I can't see them expecting you to cite Shakespeare or anything crazy.

There are so many MTA employees who are foreigners where English is their second language. I can't see this being difficult at all.

Not only that, you just need a passing grade, nothing like the first exam where you need to get at least a 95 to get called.

I have to admit though,  I was surprised how difficult they made the 1st exam. 

23 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Why would they drug test for alcohol if alcohol is legal? I could understand drinking on the job but drinking on your free time is bad?

This is what I am thinking also, how could they hold this against someone who is not on the job.

24 minutes ago, Dred said:

This is what I am thinking also, how could they hold this against someone who is not on the job.

I could see if they tested you while you're on the job like a random drug test for alcohol since you're controlling a big machine but before you get on the job makes zero sense to me

27 minutes ago, Dred said:

What is there to be nervous about if English is your first language? I can't see them expecting you to cite Shakespeare or anything crazy.

There are so many MTA employees who are foreigners where English is their second language. I can't see this being difficult at all.

Not only that, you just need a passing grade, nothing like the first exam where you need to get at least a 95 to get called.

The first part tested your memory. Nothing to do with speaking.

And the second part, wasn't multiple choice. They tested how quickly you could assess a situation and make a decision I think, in addition to how clearly you spoke.

9 minutes ago, adorkasherri said:

The first part tested your memory. Nothing to do with speaking.

And the second part, wasn't multiple choice. They tested how quickly you could assess a situation and make a decision I think, in addition to how clearly you spoke.

Like wha kind of memory like look at a picture and then answer questions I know the nypd on their exam you had to look at a picture for 10 minutes then it goes away and then you have to answer questions based on what you saw

4 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Like wha kind of memory like look at a picture and then answer questions I know the nypd on their exam you had to look at a picture for 10 minutes then it goes away and then you have to answer questions based on what you saw

They would play an audio recording then ask you to recall specifics from it. This part was multiple choice.

13 minutes ago, adorkasherri said:

They would play an audio recording then ask you to recall specifics from it. This part was multiple choice.

I took the fdny exam today and it had the same stuff except they give you a booklet with some notes and they you play an audio and write more notes down and then answer questions 

2 minutes ago, Schecter said:

I took the fdny exam today and it had the same stuff except they give you a booklet with some notes and they you play an audio and write more notes down and then answer questions 

Ah, we were not allowed to take notes when they played the audio either :/

Couldn't read the questions before hand either. Lol. So you really had no clue what to look out for or what was relevant info.

Edited by adorkasherri

13 minutes ago, adorkasherri said:

Ah, we were not allowed to take notes when they played the audio either :/

Couldn't read the questions before hand either. Lol. So you really had no clue what to look out for or what was relevant info.

I know you can't give it away but are the questions hard af like anything relevant to mta or nah 

2 minutes ago, Schecter said:

I know you can't give it away but are the questions hard af like anything relevant to mta or nah 

The first part was strictly memory. Relevant to the mta, yes. They're radio communications between the dispatcher and conductor. It's not hard. I only struggled with this part because my memory is horrible. After the first set of questions, you'll probably figure out what should be relevant in the next set and focus on remembering those details.

The second part of the exam seemed relevant to the mta. I'm not sure if they really expected us to know the correct answers. They'd show us various scenarios that could happen on a train and ask you what you would do/ask what was happening in the picture. Something tells me your answers didn't have to be 100% correct. It probably just had to fit the scenario and make sense. And they were probably also checking to see how quickly you answered and how clearly you spoke.

If anyone thinks I'm giving away too much info, let me know and I'll remove all of this.

15 minutes ago, adorkasherri said:

The first part was strictly memory. Relevant to the mta, yes. They're radio communications between the dispatcher and conductor. It's not hard. I only struggled with this part because my memory is horrible. After the first set of questions, you'll probably figure out what should be relevant in the next set and focus on remembering those details.

The second part of the exam seemed relevant to the mta. I'm not sure if they really expected us to know the correct answers. They'd show us various scenarios that could happen on a train and ask you what you would do/ask what was happening in the picture. Something tells me your answers didn't have to be 100% correct. It probably just had to fit the scenario and make sense. And they were probably also checking to see how quickly you answered and how clearly you spoke.

If anyone thinks I'm giving away too much info, let me know and I'll remove all of this.

As long as you don’t repeat the answers or questions that was on the exam your fine. That’s where people mess up where they start typing word for word what was on the exam. 

Example. If you said the exam had 10 questions and the first question was “which train take you from A to B” and you tell everyone the answer was D. See that’s a issue. 

For the first part, the questions itself were very easy basic questions. How well you do all comes down to how good or bad your memory is. Just pay attention to every detail in the audio and try to retain that information. The audio for each section isn’t that long either. Im nervous as hell though because my memory is jacked up. The first part was 20 questions and then the second part was 10 different scenarios . So 30 questions in all.

Edited by Lovablepj

5 hours ago, Dred said:

I thought we had to phrase the questions in a specific way when asked. I didn't, I just responded directly to what would I do. They tell you what they expect and gave an example of the way a question was answered and admittedly I wasn't paying enough attention. Though it's not excuse I woke up at 4:50am so I was out of it.

But judging from the responses here it seems like I'm overthinking it. I did answer what would I do and I know it was relevent to the situation at hand, and I tried my best to speak clearly. So again I could be overthinking it.

The memory part was pretty simple aswell. If it sounds important it probably is and attention to detail. That's basically it.

HEY folks. I took the OPA on Tuesday oct 3rd. I thought it was pretty simple and straight forward and I think I definitely passed. I scored a 97.5% (2 wrong) on the written test. 

Does anybody know the process after the OPA and how long it will take? Thank you.