Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

@SubwayGuy, thanks for the tips.

I'm planning to study the NYC subway map - to pick up a copy from a token clerk, to familiarize myself with the parts of the subway system I don't usually use.

From my prior experience with NYCT exams I would agree with SubwayGuy and just add that you should take your time and be very careful in answering questions. Getting one or two more answers correct could get you hired months earlier.

But don't be nervous because anyone reading this boatd could score well on these exams. Everything is about attention to detail.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, as of 2/23/16, the following has been posted as an Exam Update (http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/6601.htm):

Thank you for applying for MTA NYC Transit Conductor, Exam No. 6601. Please take a moment and read the important information below.

APPLICATIONS:  (UPDATED)

We are currently processing the applications for this exam. Due to the high volume of applications received, we cannot confirm whether your application was processed at this time.

If your application is incomplete for any reason, we will notify you by mail in April.

SELECTION PROCESS :  (UPDATED)

You will be given a multiple-choice test schedule to begin on April 9, 2016.

Please note there will be multiple test dates in April and May - April 9, April 10, April 23, April 24, April 30, May 7, May 21, and May 22.

Candidates should receive their admission letters by March 25.

Requests for specific test dates will not be permitted. Make-up requests will only be reviewed if they meet the following reasons:

1. Compulsory attendance before a public body;
  2. On the job injury or illness caused by municipal employment where you are an officer or employee of the City;
  3. Absence from the test within one week after the death of a spouse, domestic partner, parent, sibling, child or child of a domestic partner where you are an officer or employee of the City;
  4. Absence due to ordered military duty;
  5. A clear error which MTA New York City Transit is responsible; or
  6. A temporary disability, pregnancy-related, or child-birth-related condition preventing you from taking the test.

To request a make-up test, mail your request with your documentation of special circumstances to the address found below within 60 days of your scheduled test date or make the request within 90 days following termination of your military duty.

Your score on this test will be used to determine your place on an eligible list. You must achieve a score of at least 70 to pass this test.

PLEASE NOTE:

You are responsible for keeping your address up to date. Only the address on our file will be used to mail correspondence.

To update your address, you may do one of the following:

1. Visit us at the MTA Exam Information Center located in the lobby of 180 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201, Mondays through Fridays, between 9 AM – 3 PM
  2. Email us at examsunit@nyct.com
  3. Fax us at (347) 643-8110

Thank You.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Thanks, @ Young.

Crazy how many people applied for this exam.

Only thing to do is try to do as well as I can on the exam and let everything else sort itself out.

Very curious how long it will take them to establish a list.

You're welcome. As far as how long it will take them to establish a list...it depends on the hiring needs of the agency. My educated guess: at least one [1] calendar year.

As of March 2nd, 2016, from the same website:

Thank you for applying for MTA NYC Transit Conductor, Exam No. 6601. Please take a moment and read the important information below.

APPLICATIONS:(UPDATED)

We have completed processing of the majority of complete application submitted to us.

If your application is incomplete for any reason, we will notify you by mail in April.

SELECTION PROCESS: (UPDATED)

You will be given a multiple-choice test schedule to begin on April 9, 2016.

Please note there will be multiple test dates in April and May: April 9, 10, 23, 24, 30, and May 7, 21, 22.

Candidates should receive their admission letters by March 30.

Requests for specific test dates will not be permitted. Make-up requests will only be reviewed if they meet the following reasons:

1. Compulsory attendance before a public body;
  2. On the job injury or illness caused by municipal employment where you are an officer or employee of the City;
  3. Absence from the test within one week after the death of a spouse, domestic partner, parent, sibling, child or child of a domestic partner where you are an officer or employee of the City;
  4. Absence due to ordered military duty;
  5. A clear error which MTA New York City Transit is responsible; or
  6. A temporary disability, pregnancy-related, or child-birth-related condition preventing you from taking the test.

To request a make-up test, mail your request with your documentation of special circumstances to the address found below within 60 days of your scheduled test date or make the request within 90 days following termination of your military duty.

Your score on this test will be used to determine your place on an eligible list. You must achieve a score of at least 70 to pass this test.

PLEASE NOTE:

You are responsible for keeping your address up to date. Only the address on our file will be used to mail correspondence.

To update your address, you may do one of the following:

1. Visit us at the MTA Exam Information Center located in the lobby of 180 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201, Mondays through Fridays, between 9 AM – 3 PM
  2. Email us at examsunit@nyct.com
  3. Fax us at (347) 643-8110

Thank You.

I think so...sorry to break the bad news...

Conductor is at least 18 and up and they might hire you. It take at least two years to be  hired. By the way i am 19 and i am just tired of paying a monthly fee of 120 dollar each for one unlimited cared. I will give a try to get into mta If i do get in,  i will probably become a t/o after i five year as condcutor. If i don't get in , guess it time to become a dangerous job as police officer maybe in mta or nypd

There  so much opportunities  to work in mta. If you fail, don't feel bad, try your best. Sighs , i am going to china and come back  the week before the mta test and  i am going to be all wonky and hope i can still remember everything in united states

I haven't received the exam date notice yet.

Is it supposed to arrive by email or in the mail?

By mail  and you will receive by some what march 25. If you don't, i believe  you have to  the mta department to get it (MTA NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT EXAM INFORMATION CENTER: open Monday through Friday, from 9am to 3pm, in the lobby at 180 Livingston Street, Brooklyn New York.  Directions: take the A, C, F or R trains to the Jay Street-Metro tech Station, or the 2 or the 3 trains to the Hoyt Street Station.  The MTA New York City Transit Information Center will be closed on Monday September 7, 2015.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I want to know if anybody know how get back to the application website? I want to get a copy of the receipt for my sister who applied for the conductors exam.

Check your e-mail, especially if you paid by credit card. Unfortunately, I have to create a new online account due to a technical glitch somewhere, therefore I can't help nor guide you with this issue...my apologies.

Does any one know how the training and process is to be a conductor for MTA?

If you look through this, thisthis forums/topics, you should find the answer you are looking for.

(My apologies, but I am currently just starting a new job, and with all of the training, I have to work 11 consecutive days before I get a day off. Sorry.)