Jump to content

Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
whatisacup

Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

SevenEleven

Under Construction

Message added by SevenEleven

Recommended Posts

Just took the OPA (Don't forget the $25 money order).

First part is easy.. just listening to the audio conversation between the conductor and dispatcher then answering questions.

Second part varies for each person. Personally, I found it difficult to make the "right" judgment for each scenario depicted in the pictures.

Good Luck to everyone else taking it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those of you who got called in for OPA, are you from the promotional list or those who came in off tne street for the exam? If someone got 6 wrong off tne street, are they likely to get called for OPA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ren said:

Those of you who got called in for OPA, are you from the promotional list or those who came in off tne street for the exam? If someone got 6 wrong off tne street, are they likely to get called for OPA?

I was not on the promotion list. Really can't count on how many answers wrong because some of the questions were thrown out. A supervisor told us. It the people are called by a complex algorithm that takes score, SS#, initials and sends letters based on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TCKAS71P said:

Just took the OPA (Don't forget the $25 money order).

First part is easy.. just listening to the audio conversation between the conductor and dispatcher then answering questions.

Second part varies for each person. Personally, I found it difficult to make the "right" judgment for each scenario depicted in the pictures.

Good Luck to everyone else taking it.

Took the opa test today. Got there 7:05 test @ 730. Test didn't start til 8:10 approximately. They let people up around 730. They had to collect everyone's info, take pic, etc. Test was done around 9am. Very strict procedures on taking test. Anyhow 1st part was easy . Probably got 3-4 wrong. 

 

Had to wait til around 9:50 til they started calling people for second test. I was number 4 thankfully. Felt bad for people who were late 20's - early 30's . I was done before 10:15am. So about 2hrs for me it took since the start of the first part. The second part i concur, was more difficult than I thought, as far as what answer they wanted to hear. Hopefully I did well. Anyway i asked the people in the second part. She said in 6-8 mos I will be called in to start the hiring process provided I passed and everyone that takes the test will get a score. Now maybe I misunderstood or she misspoke. Cause the lady in the first part said downstairs they have our test results for first part. Went to info desk and lady said no test results available yet. List hasn't been established. 

 

Anyhow something will begin in 6-8 mos from around now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long does it take to get to max pay is it on the 7th yr? and You start at 70pct?  Please someone give breakdown . I think I had info and lost it . 

Edited by Nyctransitorhotels
Question marks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took my OPA yesterday 10/17 and I was told by one of the supervisors that only the top 2,250 people from the exam received OPA letters with more batches to be going out soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

How long does it take to get to max pay is it on the 7th yr? and You start at 70pct?  Please someone give breakdown . I think I had info and lost it . 

70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 100.  Beginning of the 6th year is top pay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nickynick86 said:

Took my OPA yesterday 10/17 and I was told by one of the supervisors that only the top 2,250 people from the exam received OPA letters with more batches to be going out soon.

Well just from them numbers alone and since I didn’t receive a notice that tells me I ain’t in that top 2.2k. Hopely a brother in the top 4k at least. Now i’m starting to really wonder when is this list going to go public. A brother could surely use some closure I’m telling you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the Opa today 730 am session. In my opinion I don't see how anyone can fail this. Pay attention, absorb the information given, don't over think it. As far as the 2nd part of it keep it simple, short and to the point with your answers and you will pass with flying colors. Based on many responses that I heard from people there as to when the list will be established and when we will get our scores I'm pretty sure it will be another 6 months or so to get our scores and list numbers so I'm thinking before any of us actually get on the job it'll probably be close to a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HeWi G said:

Took the Opa today 730 am session. In my opinion I don't see how anyone can fail this. Pay attention, absorb the information given, don't over think it. As far as the 2nd part of it keep it simple, short and to the point with your answers and you will pass with flying colors. Based on many responses that I heard from people there as to when the list will be established and when we will get our scores I'm pretty sure it will be another 6 months or so to get our scores and list numbers so I'm thinking before any of us actually get on the job it'll probably be close to a year.

The first part was easy but the second part some of the questions were up in the air . As far as if you answered it correctly. No one knows exactly what they wanted to hear. It is what it is. First got maybe 2- 3 wrong and that's mainly because I wasn't super focused on second set of questions in the first part I was still thinking if I got 1 wrong in first smh. So 2-3 could've been 1 or 2 wrong . 

If I get the job definitely tough decision to make as next yr my rate goes up to 29.50-30.70 per hour and my max at my job is 36.65-37.85 in 2020 . As opposed to waiting for top pay in 2024 and $3 or so less. Plus my ot starts at 35 hrs. I wouldn't even consider leaving if it wasn't for MTA pension. I get free insurance, free lunch .  Free hotel rooms at  5 star hotels. Those are tough to get though. Mta has better dental and better pension. 

 

Whatever I guess a good problem to have. Good luck to everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I'm repitive but why isn't everyone getting the opa if they passed aka me I passed and I keep checking my mailbox everyday with nothing from the mta. Does the opa come in an mta envelope or just a plain white one, I'm getting anxiety not knowing if I'm getting one... even though from what I saw from the answers from mta's website I got only 3 questions wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Schecter said:

I know I'm repitive but why isn't everyone getting the opa if they passed aka me I passed and I keep checking my mailbox everyday with nothing from the mta. Does the opa come in an mta envelope or just a plain white one, I'm getting anxiety not knowing if I'm getting one... even though from what I saw from the answers from mta's website I got only 3 questions wrong.

Your question is literally answered five posts above yours. I'm not trying to single you out because you're not the only one, but can people please read the thread before they ask certain questions. Alot of the answers are there and it's a bit annoying and a slap in the face when you have people providing updates with what you want to know and people don't even bother reading. I really mean that in the nicest way possible, it just seems like we're going backwards.

 

Anyway, thanks to everyone who took their exam yesterday and gave an update. That 6-8 month timeline works out perfectly for me. I'm really eager to get our results for the OPA back. Hopefully that doesn't take 6-8 months, but I won't hold my breath. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Your question is literally answered five posts above yours. I'm not trying to single you out because you're not the only one, but can people please read the thread before they ask certain questions. Alot of the answers are there and it's a bit annoying and a slap in the face when you have people providing updates with what you want to know and people don't even bother reading. I really mean that in the nicest way possible, it just seems like we're going backwards.

 

Anyway, thanks to everyone who took their exam yesterday and gave an update. That 6-8 month timeline works out perfectly for me. I'm really eager to get our results for the OPA back. Hopefully that doesn't take 6-8 months, but I won't hold my breath. :D

While I agree he is being repetitive. If he did in fact get only 3 wrong and no letter. I would go to information center and explain he is aware everyone who got 3 wrong or less has received a letter to take the opa. 

 

Maybe a mistake was made or maybe he got more than 3 wrong. If only 2,200 or so got letters and he didn't other letters may not go out til next year. Maybe he isn't even on that list. If i were him I would be proactive. Just be nice and patient when going there. Explain you truly want the job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

While I agree he is being repetitive. If he did in fact get only 3 wrong and no letter. I would go to information center and explain he is aware everyone who got 3 wrong or less has received a letter to take the opa. 

 

Maybe a mistake was made or maybe he got more than 3 wrong. If only 2,200 or so got letters and he didn't other letters may not go out til next year. Maybe he isn't even on that list. If i were him I would be proactive. Just be nice and patient when going there. Explain you truly want the job. 

Yes. We also have to take into acct. That questions on the original test were contested and thrown out too.  A supervisor there told us that people are not necessarily called by score.  The programthey have uses the last 4 of your SS#. She said someone with an 80 could get called before a person with a 95.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

While I agree he is being repetitive. If he did in fact get only 3 wrong and no letter. I would go to information center and explain he is aware everyone who got 3 wrong or less has received a letter to take the opa. 

 

Maybe a mistake was made or maybe he got more than 3 wrong. If only 2,200 or so got letters and he didn't other letters may not go out til next year. Maybe he isn't even on that list. If i were him I would be proactive. Just be nice and patient when going there. Explain you truly want the job. 

Oh absolutely. Again, I'm not trying to single him out because he isn't the only one doing it and I'm sure he won't be the last. However the post that I was referring to did say that the letters are going out in batches according to the supervisor and there's a little over two thousand expected to recieve one. Remember there's only about 30 people who take the OPA per session, so it's quite possible that he just isn't in the batch who received a letter so far. Like you said he just has to remain patient like the rest of us did. If anything he can email the exams unit with his concerns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2017 at 6:36 PM, Jchambers2120 said:

Oh absolutely. Again, I'm not trying to single him out because he isn't the only one doing it and I'm sure he won't be the last. However the post that I was referring to did say that the letters are going out in batches according to the supervisor and there's a little over two thousand expected to recieve one. Remember there's only about 30 people who take the OPA per session, so it's quite possible that he just isn't in the batch who received a letter so far. Like you said he just has to remain patient like the rest of us did. If anything he can email the exams unit with his concerns.

What should I say though 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, please, PLEASE be patient.  Just because you didn’t receive your OPA letter and you have 3 wrong doesn’t mean the world is going to end and you have to freak out.  So far we’re all going on information based on the responses posted by those who already took it which are on this very thread. Not official word posted on the MTA website or notice, by word of mouth. Patience is virtue.  30K people took this test.  Top 2200 are getting notices sent from now until the end of the year based on what another member posted.  Again, we’re going based on word of mouth and nothing official from the MTA.  Hell, the official list isn’t even established yet.  I understand people are lookin for answers but it gets quite annoying when people keep asking the same questions over and over again.   I would also expect many people to be anxious if an official list had already been sent out, but that’s not the case.  Read the thread, get an idea of your score and where you’re at on the list and WAIT.  The lucky ones who already took the test are reporting that it may be months still until they actually start, after background check, official list and everything else involved in the hiring process.  If you can’t wait a few weeks for your notice I’m pretty sure you’ll jump out the window if you have to wait a year.   Have some damn patience, this anxiety isn’t going to help when it’s your turn to take your OPA and you end up screwing yourselve over.   I have a 92.XX with six wrong.  I’m not expecting anything from the MTA until well into next year.  If I was anxious for a response I would have slit my throat by now.  The world continues, keep grinding, apply for other positions in the MTA while you wait in order to get your foot in the door.  Stick around with you POS job that u might not like or find something better until your time comes.  What I’m trying to say is to not put all your eggs in one basket and be patient   If you got a good score your time will come   Make sure your address is always updated with the MTA.

 

/end of rant.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2017 at 12:25 PM, nickynick86 said:

Took my OPA yesterday 10/17 and I was told by one of the supervisors that only the top 2,250 people from the exam received OPA letters with more batches to be going out soon.

So 2,250 OPA letters were sent out so far? How many more do they plan to send out before they fill their quota?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2017 at 12:31 PM, Dave2836 said:

70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 100.  Beginning of the 6th year is top pay.

Then what does the NOE refer to when it notes the pay amount "after three years"?

It seemed to me that top pay was after 3 yrs.

 

- Thank you & God bless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SafeDrive8 said:

Then what does the NOE refer to when it notes the pay amount "after three years"?

It seemed to me that top pay was after 3 yrs.

 

- Thank you & God bless.

NOE for 6601 states $20.25/hr starting and increases to 28.94 in the sixth year.  The rate of increase has not at this moment changed, but due to contractual obligations, the top pay has.

+Young+ posted The NOE for 6601 on page 38, post #949 on this thread for reference.

Edited by Dave2836
Citation of resources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dave2836 said:

NOE for 6601 states $20.25/hr starting and increases to 28.94 in the sixth year.  The rate of increase has not at this moment changed, but due to contractual obligations, the top pay has.

+Young+ posted The NOE for 6601 on page 38, post #949 on this thread for reference.

Thank you sir! It's been hard for me to find the NOE via google.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@HeWi G, I believe starting pay will be around $22.25 starting in February 2018.

Or is it more like $22.50 per hour?

 

$24 per hour sounds like what you'd get paid upon completion of probation (1 year of service).

 

Can someone clarify? I had the TWU pay chart before but can't find it now.

 

Top pay per the new contract looks to be $31.635 per hour, but that will slowly go up as well.

And of course there are night/weekend differentials, daily OT for hours in excess of 8 per day, extra pay for flagging, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hardest part will be waiting to see if we passed the OPA. With the test at least they gave us a date that we could check our answers and gauge how we did. Doesn't seem like the case for the OPA. Would stink if you find out you failed the OPA by also finding out your name isn't on the list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2017 at 11:25 AM, MTAhopefullMatt said:

@HeWi G, I believe starting pay will be around $22.25 starting in February 2018.

Or is it more like $22.50 per hour?

 

$24 per hour sounds like what you'd get paid upon completion of probation (1 year of service).

 

Can someone clarify? I had the TWU pay chart before but can't find it now.

 

Top pay per the new contract looks to be $31.635 per hour, but that will slowly go up as well.

And of course there are night/weekend differentials, daily OT for hours in excess of 8 per day, extra pay for flagging, etc.

My starting pay is $25 per hour. After 2 years i go up to $29.29  got 8 mos to go for that. After 4 yrs my top pay is $36.60 . We are fighting for an extra $1-$1.50 

 

This waiting for 6 yrs for top pay with Mta is wack but it is what it is. Night differential for me is $1.37 per hr. You know ampunt for MTA?? I know more . Also what is flagging. I also get overtime after 35 hrs and more than 9 hrs worked I get $12 extra for that day. Free meals for lunch and breakfast sometimes. Dinner if I'm still there. If it wasn't for the pension I wouldn't even consider MTA. Health insurance free albeit, dental is trash. No job is perfect but sometimes hard decisions need to be made. Anyway good luck to everyone. 

 

Was thinking could get in and then go to LIRR where it seems they get paid more. Went on their forum they make it seem real tough . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.